PDA

View Full Version : Nobou is kinda overrated

UltimaMasamune
04-10-2007, 06:31 PM
don't get me wrong I still like the guy and his songs are still dominating my top 10, but after playing other RPGs and games I started to feel that he was kinda overrated but it's not until I heard this http://www.us.playstation.com/Jeannedarc/ that I realized that he is not the best , it's by Tomohito Nishiura the composer of Level 5(who also made the music of Dark Cloud 1/2, Rouge Galaxy and the upcoming White Knight Story) now it's not my favourite theme by him(my favourite is his Dark Cloud 2 music) but it kinda had the whole epic feeling and stuff

There are many other composer who can make some pretty damn good music that can match and even surpass him like Harry-Gregson Williams, Tomohito Nishiura(Level 5 game),Yoko Shimomura(KH1/KH2/FFvXIII),FFXIII guy, Atelier Iris guy, and many other cool dudes

psyniac_123
04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
BLASPHEMY.

Kidding.

<.<

:tonberry: *sharpens knife*

Mirage
04-10-2007, 07:50 PM
He's rated as he should be.

Jowy
04-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Mitsuda is better! 8-)

Roto13
04-10-2007, 08:43 PM
He's really great, but not really really really great.

Dreddz
04-10-2007, 09:58 PM
He does seem to get an awful lot of praise, but when hes my favourite music composer ( for gaming ), I cant really complain. Hes just very talented, no one can deny that.

Rostum
04-10-2007, 11:11 PM
You have to understand, there's no ultimate composer. Especially when you have peoples opinion to go by.

I think Nobou is great, and I do get a lot of inspiration from his songs with stuff I compose; he deserves to be praised from all the stuff that he has done in his life. But there are also heaps of other composers that I find are great too and I get influence from them as well. Such as Jack Wall, Mitsuda, Robyn Miller, Basil Poledouris, Russell Brower, Derek Duke, Matt Uelmen, Ryuichi Sakamoto, and heaps heaps more!

I don't think we're so dumb that we don't realize there are other awesome composers, so you don't need to try and point that out to us.

Markus. D
04-12-2007, 01:06 PM
I like Nobuyoshi Sano over Nobuo~

but then again... I like the song... not the composer in the long run.

Fynn
04-12-2007, 04:11 PM
I like Nobuo the most! As in Omecle's situation, Nobuo has been an inspiration to me and that inspiration helped me win the annual music school composing competition (it was actually an arrangement of a modern Christmas Song). But I also like Yoko Shimomura - she's got great style. Mitsuda's not half bad but I think I prefer Hamauzu. I also think Noriko Matsueda is kinda underrated - her compositions are so sweet. I like her 'Eternity ~Memory of Lightwaves' (I'm pretty sure she did that one with Takahito Eguchi) and the Bahamut Lagoon soundtrack is quite enjoyable ('Yoyo's Theme'...).

But still - Nobuo owns!

Jessweeee♪
04-12-2007, 06:40 PM
He's not overrated, he just overshadows the other great composers whose names I don't know, but enjoy just as much.

Rocket Edge
04-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Uematsu is an absolute genius in my eyes, and deserves his status entirely.

rubah
04-13-2007, 05:09 AM
It's not so much that nobuo can whip out really super great trax, but more that he can whip out super great trax and has been doing so for twenty years.

Sefie1999AD
04-13-2007, 06:11 PM
At least spell his name correctly, it's Nobuo Uematsu. :p Anyway, I think Uematsu makes some really great music, and he was composing music for FFs for 15-20 years. Not bad, and I don't think he was getting repetitive. Final Fantasy IX soundtrack, which consists of 152 songs, is his greatest score, IMHO. Lately, Yoko Shimomura has been producing excellent music as well, and her work in the KH series is fantastic. I'm not really impressed by Masashi Hamauzu's work, though, and Yasunori Mitsuda's music only impressed me in Chrono Trigger.

I don't think it's fair to compare Nobuo Uematsu and Harry Gregson-Williams to each other because Uematsu is a video game music composer, and HGW is a movie music composer. I think the latter has done music for some of the Metal Gear Solid games, but I still wouldn't consider him a video game music composer just because of that. HGW has done some really good movie scores, though, such as the Chronicles of Narnia and Sinbad. I haven't heard his Shrek scores, but they're supposedly good, too.

Vivisteiner
04-13-2007, 09:52 PM
At least spell his name correctly, it's Nobuo Uematsu. :p Anyway, I think Uematsu makes some really great music, and he was composing music for FFs for 15-20 years. Not bad, and I don't think he was getting repetitive. Final Fantasy IX soundtrack, which consists of 152 songs, is his greatest score, IMHO.

ReloadPsi
04-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Uematsu was my favourite composer until I encountered Daisuke Ishiwatari one day. I love Guilty Gear's rock/metal/punk soundtracks, plus he does a lot of the character and story design too, and even provides Sol's voice during combat. He really is the master of his own universe.

psyniac_123
04-15-2007, 09:28 AM
It's not so much that nobuo can whip out really super great trax, but more that he can whip out super great trax and has been doing so for twenty years.
That, and when he started, he didn't exactly have much to work with. No more that, what, five instrument tracks? Very few different tones. He and the composer(s) for Zelda (sorry, forget the name. Anyone want to help me out?) had to be genius' to do what they did for consoles such as the NES and the bad-quality midis that played from them.

scrumpleberry
04-15-2007, 06:29 PM
You get the impression he's overated because this is a FF forum. I think he's rated fine, but there are other composers of really beautiful video game music, like Zelda, Grandia, skies of arcadia - can't name them, but these guys are awesome too.

Roto13
04-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Zelda composer = Koji Kondo. He also composes the Mario music.

psyniac_123
04-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Oh, then double Kudos.
Also, I can't believe I neglected to mention Masato Nakamura. I was RAISED on Sonic, and those funky basslines! Is it any wonder I picked the instrument up? :D

scrumpleberry
04-16-2007, 05:38 PM

Thanks - can't BELIEVE I forgot him. He's just as good as Nobuo.

silentenigma
04-17-2007, 02:58 AM
Nobuo...more like NOOBuo.

not really. Nobuo writes some of the best stuff I've ever heard. His melodies are fantastic.

Zeromus_X
04-17-2007, 03:01 AM
While Uematsu is fantastic, I'd have to say Motoi Sakuraba is my all-time favorite video game composer.

Anyway, in other news, your favorite video game composer is overrated. Therefore, my favorite video game composer must be underrated.