PDA

View Full Version : Super Paper Mario

Sephex
04-10-2007, 11:35 PM
I picked this up today and I am really enjoying it. I am glad that it was reworked for the Wii instead of it coming out on the GameCube as originally planed. The controls are perfect. It's really fun suddenly switching to 3D and in order to uncover secrets. As usual when it comes to a Paper Mario, the script is hilarious. It's not too difficult so far (just finished first chapter), but it sure is fun to play! Anyone else pick this up?

ljkkjlcm9
04-11-2007, 01:30 AM
I want to get it, but a little low on cash right now, plus the end of the semester approachs

THE JACKEL

Markus. D
04-11-2007, 01:36 AM
I donno :(

Is there still some hardcore 2-d platforming?

in all the videos I've seen where it looks like it.

suddenlly he turns 3-d and avoids everything ;_;

Crossblades
04-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Picking it up on this week's paycheck:D

Ichimonji
04-11-2007, 07:30 AM
I'm going to pick up this game first thing in the morning tomorrow. I can't wait.

Mirage
04-11-2007, 08:12 AM
I would have settled for the name "Paper Super Mario".

Jowy
04-11-2007, 02:25 PM
I WANT THIS. ;_;

My lack of Wii is distressing. I'll get to play it eventually.

Skyblade
04-11-2007, 02:51 PM
I did get this, and, truthfully, it's disappointing. It's an enjoyable game, there is no doubt about that, but so far it seems to fall short of the mark left by its predecessor, the illustrious Thousand Year Door. The chiefly 2D world, while nice, falls short of the 3D world we were given in TYD. The swap was unneccessary in TYD, because we were already in the 3D world. And Mario seems to have lost all his greatest abilities, such as manipulating his paper self into a paper airplane or boat. The Catch Cards are another fallback. In TYD, we had the wonderful badges, which could be mixed and matched to allow customization of your battle style. The Catch Cards are simple damage manipulators, and are always active. While this is a decent game, I can't help but compare it to TYD, and it suffers in that comparison.

Arc_Master_14
04-12-2007, 06:09 AM
ok.... i just got it like an hour ago haha AND IM ALREADY STUCK IN THE FREAKING YOLD VILLAGE AT THE GREEN BRIGE DUDE!

The Majestic
04-12-2007, 07:06 AM
It sounds like a good game but why call it paper mario when its 3-D Lol.

Skyblade
04-12-2007, 07:11 AM
It sounds like a good game but why call it paper mario when its 3-D Lol.

Because the characters and items are almost exclusively made of paper. Take a 2-D sprite and stick it in a 3-D world, complete with the ability to turn sideways to be almost invisible, wad themselves into a ball, or make various paper-airplane like shapes (although those abilities have been killed some since TYD. :().

The Majestic
04-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Oh okay I see. But it really does suck that they took off the turning into a paper airlplane and paper boat.

Ichimonji
04-12-2007, 03:44 PM
This game is extremely fun. It doesn't compare to Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, but they're both also very different games. Regardless, this game is very enjoyable and addictive, with a hilarious script.

Also, if you're stuck in Yold Village... You probably shouldn't be playing this game. All I can say is, explore.

Dreddz
04-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Still sloppy on Nintendo's part for not including any voices, by now we shouldnt have to be reading through pages and pages of text. And the 2D to 3D instantly lost its appeal when the 3D world looks so crap.

Erdrick Holmes
04-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Hmm, Zelda never needed voices yet those games rocked. And 2D/3D graphics really don't mean crap as long as the game is fun, which is really the point of games. No matter how good/bad/non-existant voice acting and graphics are as long as the game is FUN then the game is good.

ReloadPsi
04-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Putting voices in the game forces otherwise silent protagonists to have spoken lines, otherwise it all sounds really weird. Anyway, you should read somethingawful's review of this game; it's hilarious.

Jowy
04-12-2007, 08:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/psycho_mantis/1176407431201.jpg

bipper
04-12-2007, 08:56 PM
I WANT THIS. ;_;

My lack of Wii is distressing.

I bet.

Dreddz
04-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Hmm, Zelda never needed voices yet those games rocked. And 2D/3D graphics really don't mean crap as long as the game is fun, which is really the point of games. No matter how good/bad/non-existant voice acting and graphics are as long as the game is FUN then the game is good.

Im not saying the game is terrible, Im just saying Nintendo are cutting alot of corners in their games and seem too lazy to add voices and such. Do they really think they can get away with this still ? Theres nothing next gen about still reading text. As I said, the 3D graphics look crap, but I never said the gameplay would be bad.

KentaRawr!
04-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure about the whole VA issue. Because so many Nintendo games lack voice overs, it seems like it would just be strange to have them dominant in something such as Mario, or Zelda. On the other hand, Super Mario Sunshine had voice-overs, and it was still a pretty good game, and even though the voice-overs sucked, that game showed that the voice acting alone can't ruin the game.

Now, then there's a game like Zelda. Really, it depends on how good the voice actors are, and how story driven the game ends up being. If the game ends up relying heavily on story (Like Twilight Princess), then voice acting may actually be a good idea. While I can't speak for everyone, I don't really feel suspense when the text times when it appears.

Edit: Now, then there's Paper Mario, a story driven Mario game. Most of the comedy in that game is the kind of random intarwebz comedy you see in our chat room, which doesn't work when you say it in real life. Except for Rawk Hawk. I wanna know what he sounds like. >_>

Roto13
04-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Twilight Princess wasn't really any more story driven than the other 3D Zelda games.

Jebus
04-12-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm not a fan of VA really. Usually the people they get make me wanna rip out my own eardrums.

ljkkjlcm9
04-13-2007, 12:08 AM
did this really become a question of voice acting? I hate it, a lot, especially if there is no text there, just the voice. What if I'm playing and can't hear the sound?(other things going on and such) What if I have to step away to do something, and the video keeps playing? At least with text you usually have to press something to progress, plus I can go at my speed.

I'm fully behind Nintendo not doing VA. If they do, they better do it damn well. Plus as someone said with this game, half the jokes wouldn't work if they weren't text based.

THE JACKEL

The Fat Bioware Nerd
04-13-2007, 03:25 AM
I just bought Super Paper Mario today, it's pretty fun but the new control scheme takes some getting use to...for me at least. (I wish that I could use my Gamecube controller instead.:()

Also I know I just started playing SPM but I'm already starting to miss that colorful cast of characters from The Thousand-Year Door. (Luigi and a few pixies are about as interesting and entertaining as my Mom or my Dad trying to sing a song.)

Agrias
04-13-2007, 12:08 PM
i cant wait till i get a wii so i can try this baby out!

Roto13
04-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Must... resist... urge to... impulse... buy.....