PDA

View Full Version : What does Emo mean to YOU?

Comet
04-11-2007, 01:55 AM
What does it mean to you when someone mentions the word emo?

Araciel
04-11-2007, 02:01 AM
rage

Black Magic Shopkeeper
04-11-2007, 02:03 AM
It tends to take a few minutes for me to remember what an emo is, since that word isn't in my category.
(EDIT:) I actually do know some. >_>;

Momiji
04-11-2007, 02:03 AM
I think of myself and my favorite style of music.

Mirage
04-11-2007, 02:04 AM
To me, it means nothing when not in a context.

oddler
04-11-2007, 02:05 AM
The opposite of bubblegum.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
04-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Therefore non-sticky?

Momiji
04-11-2007, 02:11 AM
To me, it means nothing when not in a context.

Then it should be referred to me by default. ;)

Bunny
04-11-2007, 02:12 AM
a bloo bloo

Alex151
04-11-2007, 02:13 AM
an emo to me is someone who,is always depressed and pissed off at life, they hate their life and all that jizz jazz, plus black hair, gotta have that, and cut marks on your wrist, going parallel with the wrist though, because thats for attention, the line that is perpendicular to your wrist is death, emo's go for the attention.

Comet
04-11-2007, 02:15 AM
an emo to me is someone who,is always depressed and pissed off at life, they hate their life and all that jizz jazz, plus black hair, gotta have that, and cut marks on your wrist, going parallel with the wrist though, because thats for attention, the line that is perpendicular to your wrist is death, emo's go for the attention.

Bravo Bravo

Momiji
04-11-2007, 02:16 AM

I'm emo, and I don't have black hair or scars on my wrist.

People tend to mix emo and complete masochism up.

Comet
04-11-2007, 02:17 AM
Tell us what emo means.

Alex151
04-11-2007, 02:19 AM

I'm emo, and I don't have black hair or scars on my wrist.

People tend to mix emo and complete masochism up.

well that's a generic emo

you're the adidas of emo's, non-generic

my definition is like the 4 stripe adidas from wal-mart

XxSephirothxX
04-11-2007, 02:21 AM
An ironic, pathetic social group largely based upon teenage angst. I've heard plenty of claims over the years of emo kids crying out for their individuality and not to be judged or stereotyped, yet they deliberately conform to a clique to wallow in their suffering (which may well be derived mostly from the awful, bleed-just-to-know-I'm-alive music) or simply fit in in general.

Social groups on the whole bother me, but emos are possibly the worst. If I sat here thinking about it long enough I could probably come up with some even more vicious things to say about them, but it probably wouldn't be appropriate. :p

Momiji
04-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Tell us what emo means.

My personal definition is it's short for 'emotional to an extreme, depressed/depressing'. Unfortunately, all the masochistic idiosyncracies (sp?) were added over time.

Check Wikipedia for a more detailed explanation.

loza
04-11-2007, 02:22 AM
i define emo as someone who is EXTEREMLY emotional and does whatever they can to to get out of the world without killing themself i.e drawing themselves into the world of music

Comet
04-11-2007, 02:23 AM
An ironic, pathetic social group largely based upon teenage angst. I've heard plenty of claims over the years of emo kids crying out for their individuality and not to be judged or stereotyped, yet they deliberately conform to a clique to wallow in their suffering (which may well be derived mostly from the awful, bleed-just-to-know-I'm-alive music) or simply fit in in general.

Social groups on the whole bother me, but emos are possibly the worst. If I sat here thinking about it long enough I could probably come up with some even more vicious things to say about them, but it probably wouldn't be appropriate. :p

Hah, me too, I'm just scared to write them down!

Boney King
04-11-2007, 02:26 AM
To me, emo means "emotional hardcore".

Odaisé Gaelach
04-11-2007, 02:39 AM
Oil (http://www.emo.ie/)

Ryth
04-11-2007, 02:44 AM

I don't think I could word this any better even if I tried. Perfect. :)

Reles
04-11-2007, 02:47 AM
To me it's a mood, especially being in touch with sadness. I find that most emos also express themselves through music and poetry. I think it's very possible to be emo without wanting to kill yourselves, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of emos do want to.

Momiji
04-11-2007, 02:49 AM
To me it's a mood, especially being in touch with sadness. I find that most emos also express themselves through music and poetry. I think it's very possible to be emo without wanting to kill yourselves, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of emos do want to.

This gives me a golden opportunity to link to this!

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=100055

Comments please? :(

oddler
04-11-2007, 02:50 AM
Therefore non-sticky?

Yes.

Bravo Bravo

That is the most generalizing thing I've ever read. :(

Avarice-ness
04-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Someone who immitates symptoms of various forms of clinical depression and/or other despression/manic disorders to gain attention.

That's my definition.

Shiny
04-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Emo means never having to say you're sorry.

Yamaneko
04-11-2007, 04:44 AM
Whenever I hear emo I start not caring.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
04-11-2007, 05:00 AM
It is simply just another social group. They seperate themselves by being something like sad goths. <-generalization

They aren't necessarily suicidal. In fact, most aren't.

Typically are poeticall or musically inclined.

Usually wear black and often dye their hair black.

Aren't exactly different from any other person on this planet.

I like their music. :D

I could totally be emo, but I am way to happy and don't wear black. So I guess I could be scene, except I am to nice of a person and don't have long cool hair.

But, dinosaurs and TMNT rock! :p

Christmas
04-11-2007, 05:04 AM
They say I am an emo so I guess emo means being me. :bigsmile:

Tifa Valentine
04-11-2007, 06:15 AM
They're kind of like Gothic people, right? Just extremely down and depressed all the time?

Iceglow
04-11-2007, 09:12 AM
the term emo makes me think of the song we were singing at the meetup when we were all being pretty emo ourselves. Aside from that it's a music scene of which I do listen to quite frequently and also a fashion scene where I would participate should my boss have ever allowed it for work (I WANT BRIGHT RED HAIR! :mad: )

Meat Puppet
04-11-2007, 09:13 AM
good friends, good fun, great music

Peegee
04-11-2007, 09:22 AM
emo means : Feminine looking boys and confusing looking girls :(

Khaotic
04-11-2007, 09:28 AM
An overly used word in todays society.

kikimm
04-11-2007, 10:22 AM
It just makes me think of horrible hair and pants that are way too tight.

Resha
04-11-2007, 10:36 AM
It doesn't make me think, because everything's "emo" to everybody these days. Sad Disney movies are branded emo. Ahh, elite society <3

Old Manus
04-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Failure

SNOOZER
04-11-2007, 11:09 AM
good friends, good fun, great music

http://www.sutton.com/aboutsutton/images/high-five.jpg
EMO HIGH FIVE!

Comet
04-11-2007, 12:23 PM
You are all right.

No.78
04-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Attention Seeker/Fashion Victim

In the music sense, songs that are all rocky and metally about death and stuff. Yeah.

Tight jeans, just, not attractive.

Zeldy
04-11-2007, 12:52 PM
emo = emotional.
I cannot stand emo's, or people who call themselves emo for attention. Its pathetic.

It also reminds me of this song, the emo song :p (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEJDGLF-e18)

Everything is 'emo' though these days, people call me an emo for the fact that Im a teen who listens to rock music, when I actually cannot stand the music, and listen to metal, and Im like so optimistic and never depressed. It just isnt right!

Hazzard
04-11-2007, 12:54 PM
emo = emotional.
I cannot stand emo's, or people who call themselves emo for attention. Its pathetic.

They hardly get any attention when they say they're 'Emo'. People will just sigh, and let :skull::skull::skull::skull: happen :p

Spammerman
04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Emotional.

Albel
04-11-2007, 01:08 PM
HAHA, that emo video was sooo funny and sooo true.

Hazzard
04-11-2007, 01:13 PM
This is what Emo means to me: Optimistic, cheerful individuals who are valued greatly in our society, for their peaceful ways. They always have a smile on their faces, and look on the brighter side of life.

Comet
04-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Hazzard must be Emo.

Garnie
04-11-2007, 01:46 PM

A REALLY BIG BIRD!
<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/garnet123/emu.jpg</a>

The Mog Ninja
04-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Someone who cuts/burns/maims/jabs/slices/breaks/molests themselves on purpose.

Also Garnie, a big bird is an emU not emO.

Garnie
04-11-2007, 01:58 PM
duly noted lol
i just swa that vid! arnt they supposed to be Goths?
iv never heard the word emo untill resently lol
im down but i dont belive in shiz like that!

Rostum
04-11-2007, 01:59 PM
From experiences of friends from high school a few years ago turning 'emo'. They pretty much just cried about everything, and had the whole view that life sucked and any little trivial thing in their lives actually made it worse. Not to mention the music they started listening to really irritates me -- it's all about life sucking for such trivial reasons and problems with girls or whatever, and you really need to think if they have even experienced life yet.

I don't generally go by looks to judge if someone is 'emo'. Usually most seem to have dyed their hair black though. Though I'd probably call someone who is a goth an 'emo' because of the way they dress.

Anyways, that's just from my experience, so I'm not going to say every 'emo' out there is like this, just ones that I have met or have been friends with in the past.

Breine
04-11-2007, 02:25 PM
I think of emotional rock music..

Sergeant Hartman
04-11-2007, 02:30 PM
The world is dark!

Bunny
04-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Has anyone linked this thread? Somebody link this thread. I'll link this thread.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=103936

That is what emo means to me.

Comet
04-11-2007, 09:09 PM
lol that's kinda deep

Hazzard
04-11-2007, 09:17 PM
lol that's kinda deep

...I'm speechless.

Xander
04-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I just think, great, another meaningless label, everyone makes up these meanings and it's like, okaaaay then. I don't really agree/understand anyone who puts a label or social group tag on themselves. Emo.. has just become some big stupid thing. Though I must admit I make fun of that whole picture from above/emo pose/hair soemtimes XD but really, whatever!

Edit - Also I don't think being genuinely depressed is something people choose to go into, and what the hell does it have to do with tight jeans and long fringes anyway?? I wouldn't say its something to be proud of, emotion should not be some kinda trend, we all have emotions, are we all emos? stupid. :p

I Don't Need A Name
04-11-2007, 09:35 PM
i agree with Xander (its also good music)
I would be classed as emo (in all these stupid sub catagories) just cos i wear black and get depressed at times :rolleyes2 its stupid

Garnie
04-11-2007, 10:05 PM
everyone gets down now and then!
you know what i do when im down? i do things like this!
(refure to sig and avatar)
passes the time i guess!

Diango12
04-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Using music to evoke raw emotion in my opinion is just wrong, and that’s exactly what Emo is. There's already enough sadness and real suffering in the world today. Those people don't need music or self inflicted pain to feel its brunt they go through it every day, they probably wish they could be Emo and wear the clothes live in a nice middle class suburb but they can't, there improvised and between the fringes of hunger, death and complete loss of whatever meaning they had for life.

Emo- Vanity.

Ki Ki
04-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Very sad people who can never be cheered up no matter what so I just give up. :chef:

escobert
04-12-2007, 04:10 AM
ki ki is emo.

Christmas
04-12-2007, 05:01 AM
Bert is emo.

Ki Ki
04-13-2007, 01:27 AM
/wrists T____T

Chemical
04-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Don't get all EMOtional like a girly girl on me.

Kanshisha
04-13-2007, 02:15 AM
an emo to me is someone who,is always depressed and pissed off at life, they hate their life and all that jizz jazz, plus black hair, gotta have that, and cut marks on your wrist, going parallel with the wrist though, because thats for attention, the line that is perpendicular to your wrist is death, emo's go for the attention.Well Asians have Black hair like me does that make me Emo?

Freya
04-13-2007, 02:15 AM
Listen to the emo song and you'll know. Emo, in my opnion, are kids that are depressed for no reason. When happy kids are haing the same problems but aren't wallowing in it. Oh and the scene of it is black hair, stripes (I've noticed a lot of them in stripes), Eyeliner, and tigh jeans.

Cz
04-13-2007, 12:25 PM
I think of Emo Phillips. :p

Kanshisha
04-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Over the word..

Hazzard
04-13-2007, 12:36 PM
an emo to me is someone who,is always depressed and pissed off at life, they hate their life and all that jizz jazz, plus black hair, gotta have that, and cut marks on your wrist, going parallel with the wrist though, because thats for attention, the line that is perpendicular to your wrist is death, emo's go for the attention.Well Asians have Black hair like me does that make me Emo?

Nah, I bet he's talking about over dyed black hair, not natural black hair.

Alex151
04-13-2007, 01:07 PM

Nah, I bet he's talking about over dyed black hair, not natural black hair.

Yeah in fact more times than not the hair will be dyed black, rather than black being the natural color

Garnie
04-13-2007, 01:10 PM
ALLWAYS WITH THE HAIR??

zorander
04-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Emo is just a state of mind.

Getting depressed, feeling separate and uninvolved with the importance of others and the world around you.

Sometimes Emotional, sometimes unable to express any emotion.

In my case, I was feeling a bit "Emo" over the weekend. I often get down and depressed, but not enough that I can't smile and hide it, generally people can't tell. But for some reason not known to me, this weekend I was having particular trouble keeping perky. I found myself feeling over-empathetic to the problems of a friend, upon hearing the crap he's been thru recently, I couldn't help but cry, even thou i hardly ever do any more. It wasn't until last night that I partly cheered up and came out of my slump.

Feeling Emo can come and go, but some people use the term "Emo" as a definition of a way of life, like "Goth". They will self harm in some cases, or dress to look different from others. But like all "trend individuals", they are not making the unique statement they would like to; since there's a whole gropu of other Emo's doing just the same.

ReloadPsi
04-13-2007, 03:55 PM
A look that adds a good few extra percent of hotness to a girl, unless she's really fat. Other than that, my somewhat introspective, nihilistic thoughts could be considered emo.

sephirothishere
04-13-2007, 06:08 PM
The more important thing to think about is... "what do I mean to emos" :D? EVER THINK OF THAT!!!!???! guess not....

Comet
04-14-2007, 01:03 AM
You probably mean as much as this slice of pizza I'm holding in my hand right now. lk;g OH MAN I DROPPED IT

Ashley Schovitz
04-14-2007, 01:56 AM

It means that use and don't recognize a non-existent word and or they probably put use the word in a negative way being predjudice against a certain group of people because they don't understand or won't take into context and be humble by expressing into stereotype and have sympthathy and trying to help those who have problems.

oddler
04-14-2007, 02:45 AM
You probably mean as much as this slice of pizza I'm holding in my hand right now. lk;g OH MAN I DROPPED IT

:lol:

zorander
04-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Found it. Elmo is now an Emo.

Warning: May scar your fragile little minds!

Tickle me Emo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRNYG_xM2U)

Hazzard
04-14-2007, 04:45 PM

One of da funniest things I've watched in a while. Elmo sure is better like that!

DeStyle
04-14-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm really getting sick of all these steriotypes.

Emo's originally don't cut themselves, true, some (read: alot)
do cut themselves but the original emo steriotype does not
cut him/herself.

An emo is one who wears black, listens to the emo subgenre,
has "emo hair" (flippy thing), writes poetry/songs, shows (too
much) emotion, has a strong feeling of not being understood.

That's pretty much the steriotype. Now everyone who acts
thusly can be called emo, the rest can't.

No.78
04-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm really getting sick of all these steriotypes.

Emo's originally don't cut themselves, true, some (read: alot)
do cut themselves but the original emo steriotype does not
cut him/herself.

An emo is one who wears black, listens to the emo subgenre,
has "emo hair" (flippy thing), writes poetry/songs, shows (too
much) emotion, has a strong feeling of not being understood.

That's pretty much the steriotype. Now everyone who acts
thusly can be called emo, the rest can't.

Yeah so... Fashion victim/attention seekers, like I said.

Rocket Edge
04-14-2007, 05:13 PM
For me, emo's are people who have a severe lack of self esteem, and like to feel sorry for themselves. We all have our problems. The whole idea of being emo is pathetic IMO.

Comet
04-14-2007, 05:18 PM

That's so depressing.

Alive-Cat
04-14-2007, 05:27 PM
What springs to mind firstly is a fashion. A fashion that I do follow, I'll add.
But let's not take fashion in the generic sense of the word;
I believe this style of dress and appearance is who I am. I don't dress like this because most other people I know do, or because it makes me appear attractive to people, I do it because I think it looks good. This is who I am. Or at least how I like to represent myself.
Musically - Emocore developed out of Hardcore Punk Rock music of the 80's. It pretty much has nothing in common with the Emos of today, as far as I know. Basically the music has more emotional lyrics, sometimes more emotional sounding vocals. What would be classed by many as Emo music today is bands like Dashboard Confessional, The Spill Canvas, Jimmy Eat World, etc etc. What these bands have in common is that they express a lot of emotion in their lyrics. That's about it.
All of the self harm rubbish - No. Just no. Self harm is really common among teenagers, no matter what cliche they are from. I know this because I am a teenager, and therefore a good majourity of my friends are teenagers. If self harm is more common amongst those who dress/listen to "Emo", it is probably because the type of people who are attracted to emotional music are people who are emotional people to begin with. Duh.
That's what Emo means to me, anyway...

Relena
04-15-2007, 02:35 AM
A very sensitive person.

Comet
04-16-2007, 02:09 PM
What springs to mind firstly is a fashion. A fashion that I do follow, I'll add.
But let's not take fashion in the generic sense of the word;
I believe this style of dress and appearance is who I am. I don't dress like this because most other people I know do, or because it makes me appear attractive to people, I do it because I think it looks good. This is who I am. Or at least how I like to represent myself.
Musically - Emocore developed out of Hardcore Punk Rock music of the 80's. It pretty much has nothing in common with the Emos of today, as far as I know. Basically the music has more emotional lyrics, sometimes more emotional sounding vocals. What would be classed by many as Emo music today is bands like Dashboard Confessional, The Spill Canvas, Jimmy Eat World, etc etc. What these bands have in common is that they express a lot of emotion in their lyrics. That's about it.
All of the self harm rubbish - No. Just no. Self harm is really common among teenagers, no matter what cliche they are from. I know this because I am a teenager, and therefore a good majourity of my friends are teenagers. If self harm is more common amongst those who dress/listen to "Emo", it is probably because the type of people who are attracted to emotional music are people who are emotional people to begin with. Duh.
That's what Emo means to me, anyway...

This may be true...

Discord
04-17-2007, 01:31 AM

I need to figure out how to hide my lack of foreign vocabulary at this point and crack a joke to change the topic efficiently.

tailz
04-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Someone who immitates symptoms of various forms of clinical depression and/or other despression/manic disorders to gain attention.

That's my definition.

hhm there are also people who truly suffer from manic depresion and as such are placed with emo, I personally hate this because I am everything but emo though I do suffer from manic depression, not on a bigass level but still.

snacks
04-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Why do people have these conversations?

Emo means music, it doesn't mean a lifestyle. It doesn't mean I walk around angry and depressed. I think people take the "meaning" or what they think is the meaning a little too far. And it angers me, because it's completely ruining a style of music I tend to enjoy.

Someone suggested wikipedia, I'd suggest the same thing.

Bands like MCR, and these pop-punk stupid bands who latch on to this crap and try to make it something it's not are ruining everything.

Young Mally
04-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Here's what Emo means to me. Hope I don't get banned for this because their is some objective words. I'll gladly remove it if you guys want me to...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhhugemQi9I

bipper
04-18-2007, 05:47 PM
I thought it was a racist term for white teenagers.

Quindiana Jones
04-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Almost bird-like.

Momiji
04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Here's what Emo means to me. Hope I don't get banned for this because their is some objective words. I'll gladly remove it if you guys want me to...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhhugemQi9I

Ummm..sure. >_>

Eminem and Dido = NOT emo for the record. o_O

Cait-Sith-Lord
04-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Emo means people who cut maybe because they THINK there life is bad or it IS bad.

Young Mally
04-19-2007, 08:32 PM

Ummm..sure. >_>

Eminem and Dido = NOT emo for the record. o_O

For the record, 'Eminem is not the Emo, the guy that obsessed with him is...

Christmas
02-01-2024, 01:36 AM
Being too emotional for society standards.

Slade
02-01-2024, 07:39 AM
It means that tonight will be the night that I will fall for you.

Over again.

Don't make me change my mind :doublecolbert:

crashNUMBERS
02-04-2024, 04:14 PM
it means Sunny Day Real Estate and Mineral, and not Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance

Momiji
02-12-2024, 07:10 PM
Oh are we still discussing this? It's been 17 years!

(MCR still good)

sharkythesharkdogg
02-13-2024, 04:47 PM
In the 90's it meant jeans with cuffs on the bottom, chucks, and a hoodie. You probably listened to Braid. It meant tight pants, white belts, a lot of product in your hair, and eye shadow circa 2003ish. You probably listened to early From Autumn to Ashes. It was hard to distinguish emo from screamo at that point. I dunno anymore.

Psychotic
02-16-2024, 11:51 PM

(MCR still good)MCR still very good. Saw 'em live in 2022. It was fascinating to see people in their 50's along with teenagers who would've only been toddlers when they broke nto the scene in the crowd. But they're all dirty fuckers because that's where I finally broke my Covid-free streak.

Momiji
02-17-2024, 04:01 AM

(MCR still good)MCR still very good. Saw 'em live in 2022. It was fascinating to see people in their 50's along with teenagers who would've only been toddlers when they broke nto the scene in the crowd. But they're all dirty smurfers because that's where I finally broke my Covid-free streak.

When I heard about the reunion, I decided it was finally my chance to see them live because I never could when I was a kid.
I had tickets in 2020. Then covid happened and the show was canceled.
I had tickets in 2021. Still got canceled.
Never got a chance in 2022 or any time after.

I am 34 now, Paul. 30 smurfing 4. I was 14 when I got into MCR and I still haven't ever had a chance to see them live. It hurts my soul.