PDA

View Full Version : The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Roto13
04-11-2007, 02:31 AM
Who loves this anime? I watched the whole thing on Saturday and Sunday. It's great. Best described as just a whole lot of fun.

Discuss.

Momiji
04-11-2007, 02:32 AM
I saw the word 'melancholy' and was sucked into this thread.

Too bad I have nothing to input here. :(

Roto13
04-11-2007, 02:41 AM
Goddamn emo. *shakes fist*

Momiji
04-11-2007, 02:47 AM

Don't act like you don't love me. ;)

Roto13
04-11-2007, 02:50 AM

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/Macros/emokid.png

Momiji
04-11-2007, 02:53 AM

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/Macros/emokid.png

OH COME ON, you could at least do better than that retard Tidus. :mad2:

Ichimonji
04-11-2007, 07:25 AM
I enjoyed this series a lot more than most school-life animes, because the main male protagonist isn't a complete spineless twat.

starseeker
04-11-2007, 08:51 AM
I found this series hilarious, if a bit tricky to follow. Apparently the dubbed version comes out this autumn.

Roto13
04-12-2007, 04:37 AM
I think it helps to watch them all in a short space of time. It's easier to make your own little mental time line that way.

Zeromus_X
04-13-2007, 04:54 AM
My friend just got me into this anime. I think it's hilarious. xD

If we win, you have to give us five laptops. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpB7QIYI7rI)

Roto13
04-13-2007, 05:01 AM

If we win, you have to give us five laptops. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpB7QIYI7rI)

xD That's awesome. And it reminds me of my favourite moment in the whole series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FKOVue2oa4

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-13-2007, 05:04 AM
I have seen only one episode of it, but it seemed enjoyable. I will, hopefully, eventually get into it after I finish Fruits Basket, then start onto Great Teacher Onizuka. It is on my list to things to watch though!

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-13-2007, 05:34 AM
I absolutely love this series, the characters and plot are great.

The 6 important chronological episodes (and main story) are shown in order, just with the later, "filler-like" episodes in between. It actually works out pretty well, the last episode airs in the middle of the series and doesn't seem quite so (it's very subdued by comparison).

My personal favorite episodes are Day of Sagittarius III and Live a Live, with my favorite scene being God Knows (http://youtube.com/watch?v=p6QOla55rx0).

Roto13
04-13-2007, 05:40 AM
I just downloaded that song mere hours ago. :P

starseeker
04-13-2007, 09:54 AM

I want to play that game now, :cool:

Agrias
04-13-2007, 12:07 PM
well just cause you mentioned it, i looked it up on youtube and i will now commence watching it! ;o

Jowy
04-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Eew, youtube anime.

I've watched half and enjoyed it. I'll get around to the other half later.

Agrias
04-13-2007, 04:12 PM
youtube is the quickest way for me to watch my shows. I'm too lazy to torrent ;__;

nozkits
04-13-2007, 09:28 PM

*shakes fist* Come back here with some self-esteem.. lol just kidding just kidding.

BUt anyway back on topic.

This anime is well.. Random... I mean towards the end Haruhi changes reality to some giant eletric beast..

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-13-2007, 09:57 PM

*shakes fist* Come back here with some self-esteem.. lol just kidding just kidding.

This anime is well.. Random... I mean towards the end Haruhi changes reality to some giant eletric beast..

The creatures are a symbol of Haruhi's anger and frustration. If left unchecked they will seep over and destroy the real world as Haruhi begins to remake a new world that she finds more pleasing. Not really random considering the premise of Haruhi being an unaware god-like being.

nozkits
04-14-2007, 05:49 AM

The creatures are a symbol of Haruhi's anger and frustration. If left unchecked they will seep over and destroy the real world as Haruhi begins to remake a new world that she finds more pleasing. Not really random considering the premise of Haruhi being an unaware god-like being.

The anime is too cute, and boring. I hated it.... Now Mushishi that's an anime..

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Mushishi is indeed an excellent anime, but I don't understand how you can find Suzumiya boring and not find Mushishi boring. Mushishi isn't the most fast-paced show, something Suzumiya certainly isn't lacking, and the cuteness isn't as prominent as it is in some other shows.

You're entitled to your own opinion of course, but I'm having trouble understand where you're coming from.

Tasura
04-23-2007, 06:52 AM
*re-replys*

I finsihed the otehr day/week/month, I liked it, it was good, now I wait for the second series.

Ramza Beoulve
04-23-2007, 07:51 AM
*note for myself: see this anime after seeing the chapters I have left of GTO*

nozkits
04-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Mushishi is indeed an excellent anime, but I don't understand how you can find Suzumiya boring and not find Mushishi boring. Mushishi isn't the most fast-paced show, something Suzumiya certainly isn't lacking, and the cuteness isn't as prominent as it is in some other shows.

You're entitled to your own opinion of course, but I'm having trouble understand where you're coming from.
Simply put Ginko has the type of life that I wish to have. Its freedom in its truest form. You wouldn't understand its a Seminole thing...

The thing is since when did fast pace or slow pace matter in terms of what is boring and what isn't. I don't find fast paced things fun, or exciting. I'm a laid back person, and Mushishi reflects that.. Plus as said earlier. I wished I lived a life on the road like Ginko....

Its what kept me hooked to that show.....

BTW thats one factor I hate about anime is the cuteness. Its not entertaining to me. Mushishi is down to earth,laid back, relaxing, not being rushed, and has some very real human aspects to it. Of course what keeps you interested is the supernatural events. .. I tend to like animes like Mushishi...

Just the cuteness factor is a very very shallow thing that I see, and it doesn't attract my attention. Instead it makes me turn the channel or watch something else or just plainly turn off my television.

You see I'm not an otaku. I watch anime like I watch other tv shows. Entertainment, and really to kick back. Mushishi isn't exactly an otaku show since it doesn't have the cuteness, loser boy, (insert streotypical anime here).....

Mushishi went against that grain thus I like it better, and found it more entertaining.. That cute stuff, and other otaku stuff like anime maids, and anime nurses, and the fan service of showing boobs or other sexual references just isn't attractive to me.. If anything it makes me watch something else instead or watch nothing at all.

I'm going to start going into circles now. I don't see how you can't see how I liked Mushishi over this Suzumiya..

04-24-2007, 05:25 PM
I just finished watching Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya last night/this morning. It is a pretty good series that leaves you with a sense of completion but at the same time you want more. I find it interesting that even in anachronological order it still makes sense, in its own peculiar way at least. I say for anime fans in general that this is a must see.

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-24-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm going to start going into circles now. I don't see how you can't see how I liked Mushishi over this Suzumiya..

It's a matter of preference. I didn't know that before, but now I do so I understand.

As far as standards of anime go, having watched a great deal myself and being at least something of an "otaku", I would say that Suzumiya breaks the mold and parodies a lot of the standard anime conventions. The pacing and style are rather fresh, the artwork is crisp and the series takes older concepts and either effectively parodies them, reinvents them, or both.

It's not a bad series by any standards, and I'm all for people choosing their preference. However, I tend to find it a bit alarming when people write a really good series off for no discernible reason.

Consequently, with your preferences I highly recommend Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke by Hayao Miyazaki. Mushishi actually follows the formula of both of those movies quite closely, they're extremely similar.

And on that note, that's one of the things I enjoyed most about Suzumiya. It started off looking like a conventional high school drama, but they allowed it to spiral into extremely amusing (albeit often ridiculous) areas. It's genuinely funny with an amazingly good script and just the right touch of serious elements to make it a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

04-24-2007, 07:49 PM
As far as standards of anime go, having watched a great deal myself and being at least something of an "otaku", I would say that Suzumiya breaks the mold and parodies a lot of the standard anime conventions. The pacing and style are rather fresh, the artwork is crisp and the series takes older concepts and either effectively parodies them, reinvents them, or both.

So I wasn't going crazy when Koizumi attacks the Cave Cricket and went "Fumoffu" and "Second Raid" thinking that they were Full Metal Panic! references?

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Suzumiya references a lot of anime. The Cave Cricket episode in particular referenced two seperate aspects of Full Metal Panic, the afforementioned Fumoffu and Second Raid, as well as Yuki's shield, which resembles a barrier from the series (I've not seen it so I can't remember the exact reference).

Another popular reference is Suzumiya's Phoenix Wright reference at the end of the Lone Island mini-arc.

nozkits
04-25-2007, 07:07 AM

It's a matter of preference. I didn't know that before, but now I do so I understand.

It's not a bad series by any standards, and I'm all for people choosing their preference. However, I tend to find it a bit alarming when people write a really good series off for no discernible reason.

Consequently, with your preferences I highly recommend Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke by Hayao Miyazaki. Mushishi actually follows the formula of both of those movies quite closely, they're extremely similar.

And on that note, that's one of the things I enjoyed most about Suzumiya. It started off looking like a conventional high school drama, but they allowed it to spiral into extremely amusing (albeit often ridiculous) areas. It's genuinely funny with an amazingly good script and just the right touch of serious elements to make it a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
Well SPirited away was ok and didn't like Princess thingy as much, but I loved Only Yesterday.

NeoCracker
04-25-2007, 07:25 AM
I didn't care for the Jumled Episode thing they did, other than that though it was purely awesome. One of the funniest anime's I've seen to date (Beaten in humour only by Ouran High School). And I loved the Phoenix Wright Reference.

Whenever its actually realesed as a box Set here, I'll definately pick it up.

Now Back to Law of Ueki.

JKTrix
04-26-2007, 06:01 PM
People were saying that there was a real purpose to the mixed up episodes, besides just a gimmick. If you noticed, the later episodes had a lot more special effects in them (particularly the last episode). It's possible that they did it that way so they could also spend more time/money making those effects without delaying the show.

First DVD comes out in May, with a 'Box Set' box. Get it from Amazon now (http://www.amazon.com/Melancholy-Haruhi-Suzumiya-Special/dp/B000NVT0PM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5389745-2740754?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1177606719&sr=8-1) for $45, otherwise it'll be $65 after it's released.

As for new anime, there's one on now called 'Lucky Star'. It's made by the same people and shares some design similarities. The opening sequence is one big song-and-dance number, and in the 2nd episode the main character plays 'Hare Hare Yukai' on Taiko Drum Master. Look for it from your favourite fansub provider!

Necronopticous
04-28-2007, 01:58 AM
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was perfectly executed.

It's a great show with more than a bit of genius to it.

JKTrix
05-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Just found this, browsing through some old pics on my computer. It's a comparison of various places shown in The First Episode, and then their real-life counterpart.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/89936_1145306851469.jpg

Necronopticous
05-02-2007, 07:50 PM
That's cool.

I'd be more impressed if you had pictures of real-life closed space, though.

starseeker
05-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Just found this, browsing through some old pics on my computer. It's a comparison of various places shown in The First Episode, and then their real-life counterpart.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/89936_1145306851469.jpg

And where are the real life counterparts then?

JKTrix
05-03-2007, 06:16 PM
a: On the Right
b: In Japan
c: The ones without Mikuru

I don't know exact details on where in Japan it is, if that's what you mean.