PDA

View Full Version : I want the truth and alll the truth-NO THAT'S ENOUGH!

Avarice-ness
04-11-2007, 03:15 AM
[Note: Can be serious or funny~]

So like, For some reason the past two days I've been more blunt about things that I'm normally subtle about, to the point it's made me go "Oh my jeez, did I just say that?"

For example, Normally I keep to myself and either hop around subjects or avoid topics I may talk about online more versus Irl, and this -brand- new worker at my work asked me why I wanted to be a psychiatrist, and I told her -everything-. Even all the horrid details and then like 5 minutes later I'm like ".............................Why did I just do that?"

And then later that night I went on one of my best friends from high schools wifes myspace, mind you I was totally in love with him, and I see someone leaves a comment that -really- implied cheating, because the girl said that this one chick was talking about him and she said she said "Oh you mean the one that's MARRIED?!" and I totally broke out like "Wtf.. OMG THAT'S HILLARIOUS" then I instantly felt bad because all I wanted was for him to be married and happy and now it seems they're failing, yet I've been so horribly honest to myself lately that my blunt honestys clashing with my trying to be neutral on most topics.

Today wasn't so bad though. e e

SO! Any of you go through weird periods where it seems like your in the movie liar liar? Do you normally notice when you do? Why would someone wish truths on me? :(

kikimm
04-11-2007, 03:21 AM
Yeah, I've been there before. It's gotten me in huuuuuge trouble too. But yeah there was a period in my life where I became intensely obsessed with being honest, for some strange reason. That was quite awhile ago, and some people are still really really pissed off about it. Eep. It hasn't put me off being truthful or anything, but it gave me a better idea of when I should just keep my mouth shut.

Mitch
04-11-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm pretty blunt, normally. I'll be honest to friends about things but if I know it's gonna hurt their feelings I'll keep quiet.

Roto13
04-12-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm "blunt" but not in the way you're describing. I'm not blunt in the "Hey, here's all my emotional baggage" way. More like the "It's not of your business. Ask me again and I'll cut you" way.

Renmiri
04-12-2007, 12:43 AM
I'm pretty truthful but I try to never say something that will hurt feelings unless it is necessary. Like my grandma used to say "if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all". But if I'm in a very bad mood then I will be truthful till it hurts. usually it happens when I'm hurting too.

I'm also usually very private but big problems have made me blab about my woes to anyone who would lend a sympathetic ear. I guess we all have those moments when we can't just keep it all bottled up inside or we are in such a bad mood we just can be arsed to put a stop on our blabbing mouth, even if it will hurt someone.

Jebus
04-12-2007, 04:00 AM
I see little reason in sugarcoating what I have to say, or to avoid sensitive subjects just for someone else's benefit.

Cipher
04-12-2007, 04:23 AM
My daddy always tells me that you can't catch a bee with vinegar... and tact can go a long way with keeping a friend. Don't get me wrong, I'm an honest person - I just know that there's a time and a place for everything. Just blurting something out for the sake of saying it doesn't do much more than make sure you don't get invited to many Summer Picnics.

Misfit
04-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm a very blunt person when it comes down to certain things. >_>

I try to not say things that are mean, but if it comes down the whole HOLY CRAP I HAVE TO SAY IT, I will. ;o

Bunny
04-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I skate around subjects because it is easier to do that than deal with unnecessary and overemotional reactions that people tend to respond with when you are blunt. I can still be fairly blunt though, I just don't enjoy the outcome most of the time.

Garnie
04-12-2007, 03:13 PM
well im just dopey and i never really pay attention to anything so yeah lol

Owen Macwere
04-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Sometimes I tend to be really blunt just like how you described. My usual honest form really get me in huge troubles, that sometimes I have to keep my mouth shut for hours just to avoid answering questions. :(

Reles
04-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I try to be blunt in the nicest way possible. I just think it's necessary to be blunt in certain situations, especially if you have a problem with your friend that is known but is never addressed. Not talking things through is a good way to ruin a relationship so I feel it's essential to be honest with eachother. I know the things I've said has made one of my closest friend's cry before, but I told her how I felt because I was worried about her. None of her other friends would address the problem because they don't like to be the "bad guy," but overall I feel that being honest actually brings people closer together. I guess that's a completely different situation from what you're talking about though. :-/ But I guess in a sense I like white lies and yeah sometimes if it's overly offensive it's best to bite your tongue. But only when you know that insult won't do anything but hurt the other person. I just have no intentions on hurting people, only helping.

Peegee
04-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Honesty and deception implies an objective truth behind the facade. I have no objective truth because I don't bother producing (or perhaps more accurately depending on or recollecting) memories. I'm totally honest here.

So whatever I do is in essence whimsical. Take that as you will.

loben
04-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Every once in a while I get upset and complain about something like an emokid, then I look back and see how much a moron I was about a day later.

ReloadPsi
04-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Never, ever, under any circumstances, apologise to someone for being totally honest.

One of my friends recently said something that quite radically changed my viewpoint on another person I knew. When I told him what he'd done, he said he was sorry and I had to tell him not to be. I also keep giving my dad the same advice.

Most of the time, when people accuse you of being cynical or miserable when you're just being honest, it's more than likely they don't like the truth and would rather live in some ridiculous fantasy world of their own.

Cloudane
04-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Yeah I'm always being far too honest about myself when it's unlikely to make people think any better of me (and will usually do the opposite). "Hey everyone! I'm a 25 year old virgin! Go me!" seems to be a favourite at the moment.

Thing is, I find it difficult to care about what people think about me.

I don't know! It has its pros and cons I suppose. Whilst it can be negative when it comes to people's perceptions etc I feel less burdened having to worry about what other people think. Plus I think the collection of friends who stick with you knowing everything, are ones worth keeping. Whilst the judgemental ones aren't.

Renmiri
04-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Never, ever, under any circumstances, apologise to someone for being totally honest....

when people accuse you of being cynical or miserable when you're just being honest, it's more than likely they don't like the truth and would rather live in some ridiculous fantasy world of their own.

:cool: You haven't figured out yet that there are many truths ? You will...

I am pretty truthful but I draw the line at hurting people's feelings. If it will be hurtful, I won't say it unless it's truly needed. Truth needs to be told sometimes, but there is no reason it has to be shoved down the person's throat unless it is the only way the person will listen to it. And even then it might be worse to say it than to keep quiet. If you are truly trying to help people you will find a non-hurtful way to say it.

And if you don't care about whether your truth will be heard and acted upon by your friends then you are not really trying to help them. All you are doing is treating them like toilet paper: They are there to absorb your shiite and are supposed to be glad for it.

I for one, don't like to be on the receiving end of brain farts from a friend. You are in a bad mood and want to be rude and blunt and unpleasant ? Sucks to be you, I don't have to be here tolerating your shiite. Who made ME your human toilet ? Go throw your :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty mood and nasty retorts elsewhere.

Besides, you need to know there's payback: You want to say what you want, any way you want to say it, be ready to have the same favor returned: be ready to listen to what you don't want to hear, said in the nastiest way possible.

escobert
04-15-2007, 12:50 AM
I pretty much keep mu mouth shut unless it directly relates to me. And not much does.

Markus. D
04-15-2007, 02:17 AM
I pretty much keep mu mouth shut unless it directly relates to me. And not much does.

Arctic_Ang3L
04-15-2007, 05:10 AM
I don't see why many people in this world even put so much emphasis on the truth. Everything has its ups and downs, and speaking the truth is most certainly not out of that realm. Whether speaking the truth is good or bad is completely based on personal viewpoints and the situation at hand.

Honesty isnt always a virtue.

Renmiri
04-15-2007, 07:02 AM
To me it comes down to WHY are you telling the truth, when you know it will hurt your friends feelings. Sometimes it is necessary to be blunt, but most times bluntness is counterproductive.

If it is to help the friend, then if you really want to help, put some effort in telling the truth in a way your friend will listen and will understand it. Which probably is not telling it bluntly, as bluntness tend to hurt and shut down a person's will to listen to it.

If they asked you and they know you are blunt, or they ask you to be blunt, then you are being a good friend by "telling it like it is".

But if no one asked you and you are being blunt and hurtful just because you don't like to mince words, then you are being selfish and arrogant. You are not helping anyone by just shoving hurtful facts down someone's face. Why do your friends have to take your bad mood and bad manners in stride, if you can't be bothered to be considerate to them ? Because it is the truth ? So what ? Who made you the judge of others anyway ?

Mirage
04-15-2007, 07:07 AM
I sometimes give out too many details about my sexual life. Mostly online, not so often in the real world.

If people ask me for an opinion, I say what I think without sugar-coating it, but if they're not asking me in particular, I usually don't care enough to speak my mind.

Renmiri
04-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Meh.. A lot of people do that in this or other forums. And you are not doing anything that has not been done by many on your age. Unless your mom reads EoFF I wouldn't worry.