PDA

View Full Version : Cooking.

Cipher
04-12-2007, 03:10 AM
So, I'm making BBQ Ribs with homemade Mashed Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts. This marks three or four days in a row that I've cooked for myself without resorting to calling up my local Pizzeria and/or Carry-Out Chinese Location(tm). That's not to say I'm not a good cook - on the contrary, I learned from the parental units very well and my ribs could rival that of Emeril Lagasse (overpaid hack... :mad: )... but school and all that fun stuff usually keeps me too tired/lazy/etc to cook.

So. Discuss cooking practices (or lack thereof). How many of you cook for yourselves? If you don't, why not?

oddler
04-12-2007, 03:23 AM
I cook on occasion. Actually, a lot of people probably wouldn't even call it cooking. I like to make fast things like spaghetti or hot dogs and I can cook a mean grilled cheese. When it boils down to it, I'm just a plain old fast food consumer.

Agrias
04-12-2007, 03:25 AM
i cook dinner almost every night as well as for myself throughout the day. Its lots of fun and i enjoy it quite a lot.

Glitch
04-12-2007, 03:26 AM
Growing up, I never cooked too much. And whenever I did, it never really turned out horrible, at least. As long as I have some direction, I can cook it. I'm taking a cooking class for my senior year so I can survive in college without resorting to take-out every night. :p My best dish ever: Sukiyaki! YUM!!!

SnoopyG
04-12-2007, 03:53 AM
I work at cold stones, so I dont know if thats considered cooking

Alex151
04-12-2007, 04:13 AM
I didn't grow up cooking myself but I always watched my parents cook, I always mark their recipes down in my head, like my step dad is Italian and makes some mean spaghetti, and I've kinda learned how he does it all. I'm a pretty good cook now, but I still go for the micro-wavable things because they take 1-5 minutes.

My specialty, though is definitely scrambled eggs, I throw a lot of stuff in them, but its quite good. Everyone's got their own specialty.

Yuffie514
04-12-2007, 06:25 AM
i rarely cook for myself. i'm lazy and i think my brother will have to be the one to carry on mom's recipes.

Rase
04-12-2007, 07:08 AM
I like cooking, I think it's fun. I just hate cooking for others because I'm afraid of it turning out bad, plus then I can't experiment as much.

Khaotic
04-12-2007, 07:10 AM
I cook everynight.

Sergeant Hartman
04-12-2007, 10:54 AM
I only cook for myself when there's nobody in the house and I'm absolutely starving.

Peegee
04-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Ignoring the stuff you can buy in a box in a supermarket (which I can easily make and so can you), I can cook:

- creme brulee
- bbq ribs
- whipped cream chocolate cookie cake (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42252553/)
- I forget the rest. Most are common things, like potato wedges and etc

*shrug*

Kanshisha
04-12-2007, 12:07 PM
:D i have my moments....i make eggs, toast and pancakes!!!

ReloadPsi
04-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Usually cakes and biscuits, and occasionally I'll have pasta and melted cheese, which is one of my favourites. But for the most part I toss packaged crap into the oven.

Bunny
04-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I do not have a stove.

fire_of_avalon
04-12-2007, 01:45 PM
You cook over an open fire, then? :p

I can cook, but I don't have much time because of school and work, so I eat meals that don't really need to be cooked. It also means I eat certain types of food at strange times. For example, breakfast is going on right now, and I'm having tuna with crackers and an apple.

Bunny
04-12-2007, 01:49 PM
No, I don't cook at all. I have a microwave as my only means of heating meals. I eat a lot of turkey sandwiches.

Dreddz
04-12-2007, 01:49 PM
I just throw in a ready meal into the microwave most of the time, actually preparing something with fruit and veg takes such a long time Im never bothered to do it well.

Zeldy
04-12-2007, 01:56 PM
What? I have my parents to do that.

I am actually doing Food Technology for my GCSE, so my parents assume I can cook. When in reality, I can't even turn on an oven. Though I somehow manage to get As and A*s in my practicals.

Owen Macwere
04-12-2007, 04:19 PM
If my mother is home then she cook otherwise I cook for myself and for my father. Spending many years at home alone earned me the likings to cook, so my cookings aren't bad, I think.

Old Manus
04-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Beans on toast is the threshold of my cooking capabilities.

I eat a lot of beans on toast.

Xander
04-12-2007, 07:42 PM
too lazy, too picky, don't have to yet cos my mum still does. :( One of these days...Ill cook pizza :D

Tifa Valentine
04-12-2007, 10:59 PM
I was never too into cooking growing up. I was always playing video games or playing outside.... but you can teach an old dog new tricks. I cook often and I like to look up recipes and try new things, plus I have a sister who loves to cook.

Cloudane
04-13-2007, 12:06 AM
/resists the temptation to try rhyming slang...

I was actually half decent at it in school, but when living at home it's very much a case of "why have a dog and bark yourself". If ever I moved on, it's something I'd pick up again quickly and I think I'd probably enjoy it... in fact I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

I'd get my parents to let me try, but our kitchen is the most disgusting thing you'll ever see. Seriously, the hob was last cleaned about 10 years ago, or at least there was an attempt that involved taking it outside and blasting it with a pressure washer, and even that didn't shift a thick enough layer of grease and crud. I am NOT kidding. I know it's safe enough as the food goes inside the pans which are duly washed.... but eww. I'd only end up hating it. No rush :D

Polaris
04-13-2007, 12:11 PM
So. Discuss cooking practices (or lack thereof). How many of you cook for yourselves? If you don't, why not?

Someimes I cook for myself when no one is home :( I don't cook very often normal food because when mom is not here my dad doesn't allow me to cook he says it's dangerous (damn I'm almost 19 and I can't even cook:mad: when I want) I used to help my mom but not anymore :( I have time to study and then when I'm too tired I go here but I still didn't loose my skills of cooking! :D

Yukki-Chan
04-13-2007, 12:29 PM
I do a lot of cooking for myself, for example I've cooked myself lunch for the past two weeks (it being half term) and I'll also cook for the family when my parents feel like having a night off.
My speciality is pancakes for desserts and panchetta and leek pasta for a main meal, Yum :D

I always try to avoid doing dishes though, but then again doesn't everyone?:love:

Chemical
04-13-2007, 04:03 PM
I cook all the time, I really enjoy it too.

I tend to experiment and I work from scratch most of the time.
I think the only thing I haven't attempted to serve is human flesh.

Mostly I cook for myself but I greatly enjoying cooking for other people.

samboo1
04-14-2007, 12:01 AM
I hardly ever cook properly. The most ive done in the past month is probably a microwave meal :) I wanted to take food technology as a GCSE, but my teacher advised me not to, because although i really love cooking i am pathetic at it...

Shlup
04-14-2007, 12:03 AM
I usually cook for myself, but I rarely have time to cook anything good while attending work and school.