PDA

View Full Version : Getting Tonberry King

Axamenta
04-12-2007, 02:30 PM
I have over 30 Chef's Knives and still I have to keep fighting regular Tonberries, the King hasn't showed up once at Centra Ruins.

Is there any reason for this? Most of the Chef's Knives I obtained by refining them from Tonberry cards (I always used 'Card' on Tonberries because they don't always drop a Chef's Knife, to make it quicker). Can this be the reason why? Do only dropped Chef's Knives count?

Please help me.

PuPu
04-12-2007, 02:50 PM
I don't think getting 30 Chef's Knives triggers the battle with the Tonberry King.

To get the Tonberry King to show up, kill about 20 regular Tonberries in a row, without leaving the place. After you beat enough of them, once the final Tonberry is beaten, the Tonberry King will show up in the middle of the battle, while you are still fighting.

Comet
04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Actually you just have to kill 20 Tonberry's. You can leave the place as much as you want, then straight after the 20th Tonberry, the battle will not end, but the Tonberry King will replace the dead Tonberry. The Tonberry King is got like, one of the Highest HP any monster in the game has (apart from Omega Weapon obviously). My recommendation would be to just pound it off using limit breaks, and use Kamikaze after a LOT of Limit Breaks.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-12-2007, 06:10 PM
I think it's 20 Tonberries in a row, and even that I'm not sure about. Yesterday I attempted to load a special game save I made (having previously fought 19 tonberries) and ended up fighting two more

McLovin'
04-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Easy way to kill 20 Tonberries is to make Squall weak or cast Aura every battle with a Tonberry and the will die in one shot. (or one more attack from anyone)

Tallulah
04-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Using Diablos is very handy against regular Tonberries, but there comes a price... it is useless against Tonberry King, and as you don't have the chance to change junctions, this is awkward. I'd suggest having a spare GF on whoever has Diablos.

And the Meltdown-Aura-Limit Break combination, particularly with Squall or Irvine on Aura, is always recommended. ;)

Xurts
04-12-2007, 10:33 PM
You just have to kill a bunch of Tonberries in the area with the statue. It doesn't matter how many Chef's Knives you have, so don't Card them. The easiest way to kill them is to have Quistis and Squall in critical, have Quistis use Micro Missiles and Squall use Renzokuken. They'll usually die in 1 or 2 shots. Once Tonberry King comes just do the same thing. Easy.

Comet
04-12-2007, 11:15 PM
The best way to kill any Tonberry is to just use Kamikaze, which takes out 600000HP, (kills them in one move) and just use life on the person who used it once out of the battle. Don't use Kamikaze on the 20th Tonberry, though, that would be the craziest thing ever, as the Tonberry King will appear straight after.

Xurts
04-13-2007, 01:20 AM
The best way to kill any Tonberry is to just use Kamikaze, which takes out 600000HP, (kills them in one move) and just use life on the person who used it once out of the battle. Don't use Kamikaze on the 20th Tonberry, though, that would be the craziest thing ever, as the Tonberry King will appear straight after.
That would be a waste of Life magic. It takes about 2 or 3 Limits to kill one, and they don't cost anything.

Comet
04-13-2007, 02:30 AM
Waste of life magic? I did this on the third disc and life could be like, one of the easiest magics to get in the whole game. Why would it be a waste? Why else do we have life magic? WHY? @!#?/*&

Marshall Banana
04-13-2007, 04:06 AM
Don't do it! Tonberrys are cute, and they don't deserve to die. =O

Xurts
04-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Waste of life magic? I did this on the third disc and life could be like, one of the easiest magics to get in the whole game. Why would it be a waste? Why else do we have life magic? WHY? @!#?/*&
Junctions.

I did this right after I got Balamb Garden mobile and had no problems.

Comet
04-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Exactly. No need to save up life magic, you can get plenty in the 2nd disc and onward.

PuPu
04-14-2007, 12:30 AM
Don't do it! Tonberrys are cute, and they don't deserve to die. =O

That's what a lot of people said until the Tonberry got closed enough and "Doinked" them with their Chef's Knives.

Bluecho
05-08-2007, 01:12 AM
The strategy guide says it can be between 18 and 22 tonberries before tonberry King shaws up. I havn't gotten to the Centra Ruins yet, so I havn't had a chance to try it.

But remember, Tonberries have a lot of HP and are really powerful. Take advantage of their slow speed and pummel them to death with Diablos and other strong GFs.

Also, a thought occurs. Why not cast Aura on Quistis, and then use Degenerator on them continiously? They are regular monsters, after all, so they can be killed instantly. Although it will take a fair amount of Aura spells.

Ashley Schovitz
05-08-2007, 03:15 AM
Get ready for the battle when you do it's pretty fun

TheSpoonyBard
05-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Also, a thought occurs. Why not cast Aura on Quistis, and then use Degenerator on them continiously? They are regular monsters, after all, so they can be killed instantly. Although it will take a fair amount of Aura spells.
Degenerator doesn't work on Tonberrys, Vysage, Lefty, Righty, or anything undead. Selphie's The End is the same. And if Degnerator did work, leaving Quistis in Critical would save on the Aura spells.

ragnosica
05-08-2007, 08:36 PM
speaking of which, why is tonberry an enemy? i thought he was friends with cactuar and chocobo:confused:

Xurts
05-09-2007, 04:25 AM
But remember, Tonberries have a lot of HP and are really powerful. Take advantage of their slow speed and pummel them to death with Diablos and other strong GFs.
Micro Missiles and Renzokuken are much, much faster.

Twilight Edge
05-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Micro Missiles and Renzokuken are much, much faster.

QFT.

Chop up 20 tonnies, king dude will appear and you proceed to chop him up with Micro Missiles and Renzokuken. He is easy and junk deals :skull::skull::skull::skull: for damage(it kills me because Squall is on low HP). A couple of Renzokukens with a well-junctioned STR to Squall can chop him until he apologises.

gudkid
05-11-2007, 04:21 PM
haste and auras on zell, squall and quistis are very helpful....

rubah
05-11-2007, 04:42 PM
I prefer pounding it with irvine's AP shot or renzokuken. Whoever has their turn come up first.

Reddragon
05-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Well I just keep their HP in yellow, and trig the limit breaks.
(Tonberry: Everyone's Grudge \_/)
Once they die, use life is enough to fight 20 tonberries.