PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Timeline Theory (MAJOR Spoilers for all games)

Sephex
04-12-2007, 10:21 PM
See attachment.

Roto13
04-12-2007, 10:33 PM
If the Wind Waker timeline is the "adult Link" timeline, why is Link the same age as the "Hero of Legend" when he's a kid?

Sephex
04-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Hey, when it comes to that I am going by what Nintendo said. I wondered that myself. The only explanation I can think of is that since Adult Link's Legend was passed down over hundreds of years, his exact age isn't known anymore. Plus, I think WW Link is older than Child Link in OoT.

Roto13
04-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey, when it comes to that I am going by what Nintendo said. I wondered that myself. The only explanation I can think of is that since Adult Link's Legend was passed down over hundreds of years, his exact age isn't known anymore. Plus, I think WW Link is older than Child Link in OoT.
If he is, it's not by much. I can't see them making the mistake of turning from from an adult into a child. I could see maybe turning him from a child into an adult, since it's more likely that a hero like that is going to be an adult anyway.

Sephex
04-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Hmmm...well, they DID know that he traveled through time to save the world since adult Link was known as The Hero of Time. Maybe they knew that his adventure started when he was a child, which is why they make kids dress like The Hero of Time when they are younger.

Craig
04-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't think Nintendo know where they're going with this timeline really, so the reason Wind Waker's Link is the same age as The Hero of Time from the Adult Timeline is because Nintendo didn't think.

scrumpleberry
04-12-2007, 11:06 PM
I think its possible that TMC came before OoT, but after the creation and after the original Zelda was put to sleep. You don't have any mention of the minish sword or vaati or anything in OoT, and the triforce isn;t disturbed in TMC, so that may be possible.

My version goes without a split, because I like it better that way, but I haven't played all the games so it is probably very wrong a lot of times.

-Creation of Hyrule

-Gustaf fights teh evyl things

-Zelda I is sent to sleeeeeep (prologue to AoL)

-TMC: Link I Zelda II

-OoT: Link II Zelda III

-Zelda sends EVERYTHING back 7 years, including herself but lets them retain their memories and Link goes back first just because he is awesome. (THIS EXPLAINATION SUCKS, I KNOW BUT I DON'T CARE.)

-MM: (Link II either stays in Termina or returns to Hyrule - watev)

-TP Link III Zelda IV

-Din gets all pissy and floods Hyrule when the Hylians ask her for help. The other two confiscate her cookies when they find out.

-WW/PH: Link IV Zelda V

-Hyrule gets miraculously unflooded for some reason to be described in a later game.

-AlttP/OoA/S/LA: Link V, Zelda VI (come on, they all have identical character art, imo, OoA/S link doesn't look anything like OoT link)

-FS/A: Link VI, Zelda VII (this could go before ALttP, but watev.)

-Hyrule gets taken over AGAINS by Ganon, and becomes a destitute wasteland due to moblin burnings and the like. People all flee to north hyrule. Which is also a destitute wasteland. (If you look at the world maps, there is very little green. I know this is bcoz of NES restrictions, but I like my explaination.)

-LoZ/AoL: Link VII, Zelda VIII and Zelda I

There are so many glaring stupidities in that that it burns your eyeballs, I know. Sephex's makes perfect sense, and is full of total awesome.

I just wish Nintendo would release a dang timeline already. :(

Roto13
04-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Nintendo doesn't seem to think about the timeline when they make these games. That's why I don't either.

Maxico
04-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Time circuits on.
Time circuits on? What do you mean "Time Curcuits on"? Doc, we're not going back now!
Yep.
Doc, What about Link? What about Zelda? We can't just leave them here.
Don't worry, Marty. Assuming we succeed in our mission, this alternate Hyrule will be changed back into the real Hyrule, instantaneously transforming around Link and Zelda. Link and Zelda will be fine, and they'll have absolutely no memory of this horrible place.
Doc... what if we don't succeed?
We *must* succeed.

Slothy
04-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Nintendo doesn't seem to think about the timeline when they make these games. That's why I don't either.

I'm going to quote this for truth.

If Nintendo really gave a crap about story and continuity, fans wouldn't have to take wild guesses at which order all the games go in.

Renmiri
04-13-2007, 12:48 AM
As far as I understood in OoT, the events with Adult Link "never happened" because Adult Link returned the sword of time, making a new future. So the "Hero of Time" that everyone remembers was Child Link.

Fire_Emblem776
04-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Lets not forget the wand of Gamelion, and Zeldas Adventure now.

Roto13
04-13-2007, 01:37 AM

Those don't exist. Shut up.

KentaRawr!
04-13-2007, 01:38 AM
I don't think about the timeline that much anymore, but here's a few stuff I thoughts about.

Firstly, I believe WW takes place in the Adult time-line because Ganon actually threatened the world in some way according to WW's intro, while in the Child Timeline, Ganon didn't pose a threat immediately as Zelda wasn't able to help him with his plans by being an idiot.

Now, MM takes place in the child timeline because of common sense.

Something that confuses me about Twilight Princess is Ganon's complete lack of memory concerning anything that had to do with OoT, which leads me to believe that Twilight Princess takes place in the Child timeline.

As for a Link to the Past, I believe it to take place in the Adult Time-line, because the Dark World is pretty much exactly like OoT describes it in Alttp. Broked version of the light world. I think something happened shortly after Alttp that set Ganon free, and making the world go flood-flood. So, it goez like this:

OoT>Alttp>WW>PH

Now, if I remember correctly, in the Oracle games, those two lovely ladies were trying to revive Ganon. So, unless I'm missing something important, the oracle games probably take place after Alttp. So, it goez like this now:

OoT>Alttp>OoA/OoS>WW>PH

Now, even though the boats from the Oracles Games and Link's Awakening look totally different, the way the timeline looks now, it seems as though the Oracle games may take place after Link's Awakening, along with the same Link from Alttp. I say this because in the booklet of Link's Awakening (According to intarweb folklore), Link's Awakening takes place after Alttp, as a direct sequel, with the same Link. So now...

OoT>Alttp>LA>OoA/OoS>WW>PH

Now, apparently, Alttp is a prequel to Legend of Zelda, once again according to the booklet. So, since Alttp, LA, OoA/OoS all apparently have the same Link, I guess it's in-between WW and OoS if it's in this timeline.

Now, one theory is that Ganon turned the land barren and crap after escaping, and before the land was finally flooded, Link was oblivious and killed the bastard anyway. Or whatever he did, since he appears in the WW. (Don't you love it how tight it seems at the beginning, but then it begins to loosen?)

Now, on the other hand, Nintendo could just go "Well, Alttp is BEFORE LoZ, but in another timeline!" which would actually hurt my brain much less, and if they ever announce the real timeline (if they have one), I hope they either do this, or remake the original LoZ with some more explanation on the story of that game. So, wherever LoZ goes, it looks like this in there, since Adventure of Link takes place right after LoZ according to common sense.

LoZ>AoL

And that's it for that.

Now, even though Four Swords Adventures seems to take place in a different age than OoT just by art-style, it still has similar locations for certain places on the world map, so I'll just say it comes after MM in the timeline. Now, Ganondorf is still alive here, mortally. So, perhaps a new Link came along, or perhaps it's the same one. Whatever. So, Link unseals Vaati from the sword, from who knows WHEN he was sealed before here, and it's like yeah. And Ganon is pretty much described as a Rogue here, a common thief. So, what I theorize is that after the events of OoT Child (Pretty much nothing). So, he tried a new plan, since the other one didn't quite work out, and it failed too. And now, he got a bad reputation with all the Gerudos. He finds the spear of total awesomesauce, and is now the lovely Ganon we all know and love who we also got from the Power of the Triforce, but now he's way bigger. This could be a connection to the original LoZ, hopefully. He like, shrunk though. Anyway, after you beat Vaati, you see some floaty thing float away, so Vaati escaped-ed.

OoT>MM>FSA

Now, obviously, the Minish Cap comes before FSA, because Vaati never got stuck in the sword before the Minish Cap. Now, this could either mean Four Sword (Not Adventures) takes place WAAAY after, or in between MC and OoT. Just because we need some time between MC and OoT, and because MC came out RIGHT after Four Sword, as though trying to adjust the story, I'll make it go like this now.

MC>FS>OOT>MM>FSA

Now, Twilight Princess clearly takes place close after OoT, as the world map is almost ripped from it. But it also clearly takes place long enough after to be put after FSA, since Ganon doesn't seem to be alive mortally, but as an immortal being, due to being able to turn into a spirit and corrupt Zant. On the OTHER hand though, one would assume he'd be all "I hate green clothing. You suck.". But perhaps since he didn't lose his kingdom after ruling it for a measely 7 years and then being sealed away only to end up getting killed by some 8 year old playing his SNES all night he didn't go insane. ANYWAY...

MC>FS>OOT>MM>FSA>TP

So there be mine theory.

Fire_Emblem776
04-13-2007, 01:44 AM

It could have been an alternative reality.:rolleyes2
When Zelda goes horribly wrong.:eep:

KentaRawr!
04-13-2007, 01:50 AM

Don't forget the faces of evil. :)

Roto13
04-13-2007, 01:51 AM

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!

*covers ears*

LALALALALALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING!!

Lynx
04-13-2007, 02:16 AM
ok i think i get it.

in orcarina of time when link does the time split if he were to continue on that pathway and we saw the years that passed that dimension in time would have eventually lead to the windwaker time.

then a boy who lives in a town that loves the story of link and gannon dresses up in the the legends uniform. he then goes off on his own quest. he is not link or neccesarily related to link. in other words wind waker is kinda not part of the original story.

now at the end of orcarina of time he puts hte master sword back. time moves on the planet continues to change. enter in the twilight princess which im yet to play so i dont know its deal along with minish and 4 swords. but anyways another boy link part of the same timeline as orcarina of time jsut years in the future finds his dads sword and finds the master sword. and so on moves on to the rest of the zeldas which keep on following the events of orcarina of time.

am i right?

Tavrobel
04-13-2007, 03:49 AM

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!

*covers ears*

Listening to what?

Ouch!
04-13-2007, 04:15 AM
I was always under the impression that the Oracle games were noncanonical. Capcom was behind them, right? Anyway, there were other glaring inconsistancies that would conflict with the placement on Sephex's timeline. If I remember correctly, Link had not yet met Zelda, and he just met Impa for the first time at the beginning of the game. I've always just thought of them as something on the side and disregard them when trying to find a timeline for the Zelda series. I feel the same about the Four Swords games, but I've not played those, so maybe I shouldn't judge.

Otherwise, I agree.

Renmiri
04-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Excuuuu-uuuuuse me princess! ;)

Link and Kentarou, I agree 100%.

Ganon only got sealed under the sea (WW) when he ruled Hyrule, i.e. Adult Link's timeline "existed".
OoT ends with Link putting the sword back and no Ganon while he is still a kid, so MM and FS have to come from the other timeline, the one Gannon never conquers Hyrule.

Fire_Emblem776
04-13-2007, 03:44 PM

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!

*covers ears*

Listening to what?

The three Zelda Games mentioned above are for the failed CDI system. Because of some licence thing, Phillips made some games for it. But are nothing like the Zelda we know.

escobert
04-13-2007, 06:41 PM
I've never really thought about a order to them and just assumed they came out like the Final Fantasy series.

Tavrobel
04-13-2007, 07:06 PM
The three Zelda Games mentioned above are for the failed CDI system. Because of some licence thing, Phillips made some games for it. But are nothing like the Zelda we know.

I didn't think that I would need someone to explain this to me, as I already know what they are, and am well aware of how much they suck, but I guess not, since someone doesn't understand sarcasm, nor does he happen to understand that in order to forget that someonething happened, you also need to forget that you forgot, thereby, leading to the natural conclusion that if someone really did forget, they would not know what they forgot.

I'll just go back to good old fashioned blunt humor, you know, the kind that's big and non-subtext.

Elite Lord Sigma
04-13-2007, 07:28 PM
If I remember correctly, Nintendo cut the "Unholy Triforce" out of the other Zelda games continuity, so they technically never happened.

Avarice-ness
04-13-2007, 07:44 PM
I've never really thought about a order to them and just assumed they came out like the Final Fantasy series.

I've heard from lots of people that FF does have a timeline, but as newer games come out, the timeline gets all kinds of screwed up. I never looked into it though. :razz:

KentaRawr!
04-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I was always under the impression that the Oracle games were noncanonical. Capcom was behind them, right? Anyway, there were other glaring inconsistancies that would conflict with the placement on Sephex's timeline. If I remember correctly, Link had not yet met Zelda, and he just met Impa for the first time at the beginning of the game. I've always just thought of them as something on the side and disregard them when trying to find a timeline for the Zelda series. I feel the same about the Four Swords games, but I've not played those, so maybe I shouldn't judge.

Otherwise, I agree.

Even though Capcom made those games, it was under supervision of Nintendo. And also, something to consider is that it may just be a different Link, and that's why he hasn't met Impa. And it might even be a different Impa! Personally, I take it to be that it's both, as you can probably tell in my Timeline.

oddler
04-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Honestly, it's just one big mess if you ask me. I wish they would say that the games are simply different retellings of "The Legend of Zelda."

KentaRawr!
04-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Honestly, it's just one big mess if you ask me. I wish they would say that the games are simply different retellings of "The Legend of Zelda."

Ah, but it is only one big mess if you think about it. Almost all the games don't have to be connected to one another to fully understand the story of that game, so if you feel that considering the timeline is not worthy of your time, then you truly needn't do it to understand the story completely of each game.

Ouch!
04-13-2007, 11:23 PM

Otherwise, I agree.

Even though Capcom made those games, it was under supervision of Nintendo. And also, something to consider is that it may just be a different Link, and that's why he hasn't met Impa. And it might even be a different Impa! Personally, I take it to be that it's both, as you can probably tell in my Timeline.

Aye, could be a different Link and Impa. I wasn't arguing that point, just saying I didn't agree with where it's placed on the timeline provided. Even though Nintendo was supervising the production of the Oracle games, I just can't help but get the feeling that they're kind of their own thing. It's not really that important, I suppose.

Markus. D
04-14-2007, 02:56 PM
I <3 WW Hyrule.

It's all Eerie and grayscale~~

Renmiri
04-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Same for TP Shadow Realm! :love: And you are a wolf to boot :love: