PDA

View Full Version : Question about iTunes format.

Rye
04-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Okay, so, I use iTunes because I'm tired of having my computers die from things like Limewire, and I'm too lazy to torrent. I'm fine with iTunes and buying songs, but the thing is, I have two computers, my PC and my laptop, and my iPod's software is on the PC because it has more songs. I buy new songs on my laptop though, because I use my laptop the majority of the time. The irritating thing about iPods is that if I connected it to my laptop, all the PC songs would be erased. I suppose I could buy all my songs on my PC, but I like to have good music on my laptop.

Is there any program that can (illegally?) convert iTune formatted songs that I've bought to .mp3 on my laptop so I can send them to my PC? Thanks.

XxSephirothxX
04-14-2007, 06:03 PM
SoundTaxi. You'll have to crack it, though. Or buy it.

rubah
04-14-2007, 09:29 PM
face said he had good results with Hymn, and the last time I converted m4p I used qtfairuse.

Why don't you just find another way to transfer them (network or external drive or something) and authorize the other computer? You get like five authorization slots

Roto13
04-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Clarify this for me. If you plug it into a different computer, it just deletes songs off your iPod and not off the computer, right? O_o'

o_O
04-15-2007, 01:06 AM
I think that's what iTunes is "supposed" to do. My understanding is that there is one authorized computer and you can change that to a different computer, but you can't sync songs from both simultaneously. I could be wrong, since I haven't ever owned an iPod or used iTunes though. :p

Anyway, here's how I did it on Linux:
I got <a href="http://www.ephpod.com/">EphPod</a> (which is actually a Windows application that works surprisingly well under WINE :p), and used that to grab any songs I wanted from the iPod in question. Then I had some mp3 files, some m4a files and a whole bunch of m4ps. The m4ps are the protected files, so I downloaded <a href="http://hymn-project.org/">Hymn</a> (also a Windows application) and ran each of the m4ps through that, which decrypted them very nicely. For good measure, you can convert them to mp3 in the same step by clicking the "Convert to mp3 as well" checkbox.

In summation, it was pretty much a two-step process to grab songs from an iPod and remove the DRM and convert to mp3. :p