PDA

View Full Version : Do SNES emulators work properly on a Windows 98?

Peter_20
04-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Yay, yesterday I actually managed to re-create a working NES emulator and stuff, so now I'm gonna play NES games for a while. :D

Anyway, I can't seem to get Snes9x to run properly at all: the graphical updates are horrible and the sound sucks.
I've tried different settings, but nothing seems right.

Do you know how to make this emulator run properly?
The Read-Me says that I should have a computer newer than Pentium 2, and as far as I know Penitum 2 is older than Windows 98.
Advice, please. :)

Oh, and my computer is a Dell Dimension XPS-R450.

Moon Rabbits
04-14-2007, 04:50 PM
My advice is downloading ZSnes instead.

Peter_20
04-14-2007, 04:56 PM
My advice is downloading ZSnes instead.Well, the Zsnes requires DirectX 8.0 "or higher", and I can't find that stuff anywhere.

Besides, I have no Internet on this computer, and I never seem to have DirectX 8.0 work at all if I get it from another computer.
So right now I'd like to rely on Snes9x as long as possible; at least it works.

Mirage
04-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Get an older version of ZSNES or snes9x then, if it requires a DirectX version higher than what you can install on Win98. There is also a DOS version of ZSNES.

Peter_20
04-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Get an older version of ZSNES or snes9x then, if it requires a DirectX version higher than what you can install on Win98. There is also a DOS version of ZSNES.Do older versions mean worse updates etc.?
Or do all versions work equally good on their respective recommended computers?

loben
04-14-2007, 05:30 PM
I have an old verson of Znes on my laptop, which is windows 98. that thing only has 30mbs of ram, and crap for crap processor. I'm pretty sure it will run on yours.
....I've never needed one of these updates....

Mirage
04-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Older versions does indeed mean more bugs and less features. But if you can't use the newest version, that can't be helped. You could always get the DOS version of the latest ZSNES. It's on ZSNES.com, along with older versions of the emulator.

Edit.
Apparenly, absolutely all versions of ZSNES for windows require DirectX 8 or later. DX8 should work on 98, as it has done so on my Win98 computers in the past, so either try fixing your DX8, or use the DOS version. Alternatively, you could throw out the abomination that is Win98 and install WinXP.