PDA

View Full Version : Earthworm Jim!

ReloadPsi
04-14-2007, 11:42 PM
After having watched almost every episode of the cartoon on YouTube, I just had to dig up my copy of Earthworm Jim (well alright, I downloaded the ROMs because I don't have the games anymore) and got back to playing them.

I always thought it was a real shame that the Earthworm Jim franchise had to just die. It was one of the best games of its time, in terms of gameplay and just how much effort when into the games in general; cutscenes (sparse as they were) didn't just re-use in game sprites, but would actually have some work put into them. All the animations were fluid, even the stuff in the background looked great, and although the first one was sodomisingly hard (I never got past "Tube Race" until I used savestates on an emulator) they were still impressive titles that really showed what the 16-bit consoles could do.

I've never played Earthworm Jim 3D so I won't go into that.

Also, there was that cartoon. Unlike other cartoons that tried to hard to implement as many elements of the actual games as possible and ended up being incredibly silly as a result *glares angrily at every Mario cartoon*, Earthworm Jim only used the characters, and then used a very absurd sense of humour that would attract older viewers too. And who could forget the classic recurring line "I must not fear, fear is the mind killer, fear is the little death that brings total oblivion"?

So, anyone else here care to share their thoughts?

Roto13
04-14-2007, 11:48 PM
"Down the Tubes" was so hard. I preferred Earthworm Jim 2, personally. The homing missiles that were shaped like little houses. :P Have you ever read the instruction booklets? Those were hilarious. After the "Table of Contents" they have a "Table of Continents" (Australia, Africa, Europe...) and a "Contents of Table" (wood screws, glue....)

ReloadPsi
04-14-2007, 11:50 PM
D-Pad: Withdraws money from your bank account and transfers it directly to Shiny Entertainment. Also controls the direction in which Jim moves and fires.

Heheh, yeah, the EWJ2 manual was awesome. Never saw the first, though.

themagicroundabout
04-15-2007, 12:11 AM
I absolutely love Earthworm Jim. I LOVE HIM. Haven't played the game in agesm though.

EARTHWORM JIM. <3

han_keep_smilin
04-15-2007, 07:30 PM
theres a group of people in mi year at school they have an obsession with earthworm jim, but they also have an obsession with peoples mothers...

ive never seen it :)

Larahl
04-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Me and my friend used to play it all the time on our Mega Drive when we were kids.
I never got to check out the instruction booklets, though. :cry:

Jowy
04-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Earthworm Jim had the best instruction manual for any game in existence.

Also, I could never get through that freaking level where you had to whip the dog over the pits and obstacles, otherwise he got really big and started kicking your ass.

ReloadPsi
04-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Poke around Vimm.net and you'll find the manuals. Unfortunately they don't make it very easy to link to individual pages as they just revert your address bar back to http://vimm.net

Dr. Acula
04-17-2007, 05:33 AM
I LOVE EARTHWORM JIM!:bigbiggri
I've never played the games, but the cartoons remind me of the good old days.

Avarice-ness
04-17-2007, 05:40 AM
COME CHILDREN WE MUST SHOOT OFF OUR COW-TA-PAULTS!

Or.. cows in catapaults..

what ever..
Love Earthworm Jim. -Love-

Araciel
04-17-2007, 05:43 AM
of course i loved the game/cartoon!

although i had trouble with a lot of it :S i was a crap gamer when i was a kid...

*goes to DL the rom illegally*

Jowy
04-17-2007, 01:29 PM
I cheated and levelskipped to the end. What's hilarious is that you see the cow you launch at the beginning of the game for NO REASON AT ALL just fly by in the background at one point in the final stage. xD

Hazzard
04-17-2007, 01:46 PM
What the hell? I remember this cartoon, and I'm only 13. I know too much...

Jowy
04-17-2007, 02:28 PM
All I remember about the cartoon was the episode where Jim found a sword inside of a sandwich that he got from a truckstop.

BarelySeeAtAll
04-17-2007, 02:34 PM
i cant remember the last time i watched my brother play earthworm jim
man that game rocks!!i can still, vaguely, remember that damned dog which tried eating ole jim...and the tires which were just too anoying...oh jim...

Dr. Acula
04-18-2007, 01:26 AM
What the hell? I remember this cartoon, and I'm only 13. I know too much...

I know! I'm almost 15, and I remember watching the cartoon when I was like six or seven or something...

Meat Puppet
04-18-2007, 08:48 AM
He’s in a fighting game I have for N64. He’s pretty cool, I guess.

Rostum
04-18-2007, 12:27 PM
He’s in a fighting game I have for N64. He’s pretty cool, I guess.

Clay Fighter?

And yeah, I love Earthworm Jim cartoon and games. So many awesome memories. <3