PDA

View Full Version : Tests and Grades

ljkkjlcm9
04-15-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm getting pretty pissed off as of late when it comes to tests and crap. It's really confusing me that the better I think I did, the worse I actually did. When I think I get an A, I get a D. When I think I didn't do well, I get a C. And the part that pisses me off the most, I teach someone else the material and study with them, and they get a good grade. It almost seems like it's completely out of my control what grade I actually get.

Anyone else been through something similar?

THE JACKEL

Breine
04-15-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm getting pretty pissed off as of late when it comes to tests and crap. It's really confusing me that the better I think I did, the worse I actually did. When I think I get an A, I get a D. When I think I didn't do well, I get a C. And the part that pisses me off the most, I teach someone else the material and study with them, and they get a good grade. It almost seems like it's completely out of my control what grade I actually get.

THE JACKAL

^^^The story of my life. Sigh, I know exactly what you mean.. I'm not at all good when it comes to exams, and I'm also somewhat confused when the teachers give out grades. I just hope I'll survive this summer and come out with a reasonably good grade average.

ljkkjlcm9
04-15-2007, 06:50 PM

THE JACKAL

^^^The story of my life. Sigh, I know exactly what you mean.. I'm not at all good when it comes to exams, and I'm also somewhat confused when the teachers give out grades. I just hope I'll survive this summer and come out with a reasonably good grade average.

well my problem is, if this crap keeps happening in my other classes this semester, which all have 1 more test and a final, then I may not be coming back here, which would completely destroy me. This one class is basically already gone to hell, and I'm going to get a D in it, cause all that's left is the final, and chances are I'll get a D on that too. I need to friggin do well on the other tests, but it seems like no matter what I try, it doesn't work!

THE JACKEL

Little Blue
04-15-2007, 06:51 PM
I've never thought I'd done well and done crap, but I had thought I'd done crap and done well. Unfortuantely, the end grade has very little to do with an individuals performance. There's a process the exams go through when they're marked that does something to the final result. If the exams are easy and everyone does well, the final results are scaled down, if the exams were hard and everyone does crap, the final results are scaled up. Or so I hear from my teachers and lecturers. My guess is its something about filling quota's...

Dreddz
04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Its usually like this, I think Im getting an A, I get a B. I think Im getting an C, I get a D. I think Im getting an E, I get it unclassified.

escobert
04-15-2007, 07:21 PM
i remember I failed science one quarter then got a A+ the next xD

Reles
04-15-2007, 07:32 PM
I am awful at tests. Seriously. I make the stupidest mistakes, or I just have a brain freeze and forget everything I've studied. But lately I had a bit of a break down because of my grades since I studied all night for this Italian test only to get a D+. My teacher was really upset and came to speak to me, but for some reason I just wasn't studying right. I'm the type of person that can't study two days before, I have to study hours before the test in order to remember it clearly. So far when I think I'm going to get a C, I'll get a B. So I've been a little pessimistic towards what grades I'm going to get. But yeah, like you I've already pretty much failed one test, I only have two more and I don't know what the heck I'm doing. My philosophy class is so freaking hard. I promised to study all weekend but it only lead to me being stuck on a few problems and I got a bit discouraged.

Rokk
04-15-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm supposed to be having a mock Spanish oral test tomorrow... And what your saying happens to me a lot to.. So me predicting I will get a C tomorrow probably means I will get and E :P

Owen Macwere
04-15-2007, 08:31 PM
I notice that when I study hard I get crap grades and when I study good I get good grades but when I don't study at all I get full grades. I can't figure out how this actually work, but it's funny and true. xD

Like a week ago I studied really hard for Probability and got 26 out of 40, and at the Deferential Equations' exam I didn't open a single textbook and got 20 out of 20. Gosh, I was super proud. I bet I could fly, lol.

Polaris
04-15-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm very strict when it comes to my grades if I study to get a C+ most of the times I get a C+ :D But I'm sooooooooooooooo lazy that B is the max grade I study for! When I get Es is coz I studied nothing at all!

Christmas
04-16-2007, 01:49 AM
Grades are nothing to me.

Rase
04-16-2007, 01:55 AM
I always expect to do terrible to remedy this.

Shiny
04-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Some people are just not good test takers. That's not necessarily their fault, because the system fails them. Grades do not determine someone's intelligence anyway for the most part, because most people go around the system and cheat their way through school. It's those that learn how to use Spark Notes effectively that make it through on honoroll. Trust me.

yanis
04-16-2007, 02:02 AM
I'm so glad that those tests and grades are over for me...:D

Xaven
04-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Tests are the only things keeping my grades up. I'm the opposite of most people in that aspect. I vote all of school (college and uni are this way already) become totally test-based. Screw "homework". :D

I don't ever remember failing a test ever. Once, I got a C- on a science test-thing, but that was because of the idiotic excuse for a teacher. Of course, the next highest grade in the class was about a 20%.

Roto13
04-16-2007, 02:55 AM
I've never thought I'd done well and done crap, but I had thought I'd done crap and done well. Unfortuantely, the end grade has very little to do with an individuals performance. There's a process the exams go through when they're marked that does something to the final result. If the exams are easy and everyone does well, the final results are scaled down, if the exams were hard and everyone does crap, the final results are scaled up. Or so I hear from my teachers and lecturers. My guess is its something about filling quota's...

It depends on the policy of the institution. My college doesn't do that.

I always have a pretty good idea of how I did. I like taking tests for some reason. I never really understood how someone could be so far off with how they think they did. I mean, if you think you got an A but you really got a D, you must have been really confident that you knew what you were doing, but you actually had no clue what you were talking about.

Discord
04-16-2007, 03:14 AM
Really depends on the subject. I never got where my grades came from in literature-based subjects.*shrug*

Shlup
04-16-2007, 03:44 AM
Well, since you asked... no. I always seem to do well on tests.

Kanshisha
04-16-2007, 03:45 AM
getting there..

blackmage_nuke
04-16-2007, 05:48 AM
Whenever i think i get a C i get an A, and whenever I think I get a B I get a B. My grades are rather pleasant to look at.

But i get the studying and helping someone who gets better grades than you. It took me a while to figure out how to with hold information yet drain out as much from other people as possible. If you take notes, then cut out part of your notes and "swap" the crappy version of your notes with someone elses good version. They'll think theyre getting help when in reality theyre being screwed over.

Also when someone asks you if they got something right, if you see they did a small thing wrong then dont correct them, just say "thats pretty much it" as casual as you can as if they got it right. Not only do you realise this mistake and it reminds you not to do it yourself during the test it increases your chances of beating said study "partner". And you are not lying to them

Also study groups of about 4-7 people alow you to get info from different sources without sharing any info yourself, just play dumb and they will be non the wiser

Xaven
04-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Whenever i think i get a C i get an A, and whenever I think I get a B I get a B. My grades are rather pleasant to look at.

But i get the studying and helping someone who gets better grades than you. It took me a while to figure out how to with hold information yet drain out as much from other people as possible. If you take notes, then cut out part of your notes and "swap" the crappy version of your notes with someone elses good version. They'll think theyre getting help when in reality theyre being screwed over.

Also when someone asks you if they got something right, if you see they did a small thing wrong then dont correct them, just say "thats pretty much it" as casual as you can as if they got it right. Not only do you realise this mistake and it reminds you not to do it yourself during the test it increases your chances of beating said study "partner". And you are not lying to them

Also study groups of about 4-7 people alow you to get info from different sources without sharing any info yourself, just play dumb and they will be non the wiser
This is based on the assumption that I 'study', let alone study in groups. Or take notes. Hahah, notes.

Reguardless, that's very malicious of you. Why would you do that anyway? Trying to boost your class rank by 1?

ljkkjlcm9
04-16-2007, 08:14 AM
It depends on the policy of the institution. My college doesn't do that.

I always have a pretty good idea of how I did. I like taking tests for some reason. I never really understood how someone could be so far off with how they think they did. I mean, if you think you got an A but you really got a D, you must have been really confident that you knew what you were doing, but you actually had no clue what you were talking about.

No because then I go and look over the test, and can't believe some of the crap I got wrong. It's like my mind was just off or something, but it thought it was working. And some of my teachers even get confused because I get everything in class and on the HW, but I don't do well on the tests.

THE JACKEL

blackmage_nuke
04-16-2007, 08:16 AM

This is based on the assumption that I 'study', let alone study in groups. Or take notes. Hahah, notes.

Reguardless, that's very malicious of you. Why would you do that anyway? Trying to boost your class rank by 1?
The irony is I do it because I dont study (and barely do homework and listen in class) and i go on wild information gathering rampages the day before or the morning of a test

And i usually come second (and I always get beaten by the same person) so I wouldnt mind boosting my class rank by 1

Shadowdust
04-16-2007, 08:20 AM
I used to do well on tests for the most part...that is when I completed them. As far as I'm concerned time limits are a joke.

Roto13
04-16-2007, 12:27 PM

"Beating" your study partner? You don't really understand the purpose of studying with someone, do you?

Rocket Edge
04-16-2007, 12:30 PM
I always expect to do terrible to remedy this.

Cloudane
04-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Tests are a stupid idea IMO. Too many people fall to pieces with the pressure of them, even though they're perfectly capable at the subject. People also express things in different ways that can be interpreted as "wrong" in the strict definitions of marking schemes even though they're not wrong per se. Not to mention that different people take different amounts of time (I'll come to that).

Many employers favour experience and/or practical demonstration of ability nowadays anyway. Also, exams tend to punish those who take too long, but any sensible employer will prefer accuracy and attention to detail over speed any day.

Hazzard
04-16-2007, 01:14 PM

"Beating" your study partner? You don't really understand the purpose of studying with someone, do you?

Well, being competitive can sometimes make you work better. It's helped me in the past.

Roto13
04-16-2007, 01:48 PM

Well, being competitive can sometimes make you work better. It's helped me in the past.
That kind of behaviour doesn't help anyone, though. Competitiveness only helps you improve if you use it to motivate yourself to do better, not if you sabotage other people.

Hazzard
04-16-2007, 01:54 PM
That's true, I wouldn't exactly give them false answers to try ruin them. That's just being malicious and deceitful. I would help guide them a bit, but not give them full blown answers, after all it's my education I should be focusing on, and not helping another guy succeed more than me. A few hints and pointers, that's all that is needed.

ljkkjlcm9
04-16-2007, 01:57 PM
That's true, I wouldn't exactly give them false answers to try ruin them. That's just being malicious and deceitful. I would help guide them a bit, but not give them full blown answers, after all it's my education I should be focusing on, and not helping another guy succeed more than me. A few hints and pointers, that's all that is needed.

That's a difference between you and me. I'll help them until they understand it and get it. People always say if you can do that, you understand it quite well. I'm the type of person that would give up my own well being for a friend. While this is hurting me currently, cause I've done that for the past 3 years, I also have gained a few friends that would help me out in desperate times.

I rarely put myself first.

THE JACKEL

blackmage_nuke
04-16-2007, 02:03 PM

That kind of behaviour doesn't help anyone, though. Competitiveness only helps you improve if you use it to motivate yourself to do better, not if you sabotage other people.
I think the purpose of studying with someone is to improve both of your likelyhood of getting higher grades, however in this instance all i am doing is improving my chances more than theirs whilst still improving thiers yet less so, I usually only do this with the person who comes 3rd or ties with me and has pottential to overtake me.
And yes it sounds (and probably is) selfish but I need to use every tactic i can to get good test marks, people might think it's easy for the people who get good grades to do so because "they're just smart" but really sometimes it's a struggle

Hazzard
04-16-2007, 02:06 PM

That's a difference between you and me. I'll help them until they understand it and get it. People always say if you can do that, you understand it quite well. I'm the type of person that would give up my own well being for a friend. While this is hurting me currently, cause I've done that for the past 3 years, I also have gained a few friends that would help me out in desperate times.

I rarely put myself first.

THE JACKAL

Well man, you should start putting yourself first. There's a huge difference between being selfish, and looking out for your main priorities which happened to be yourself at number one. It's nice to help people, and I feel like I have achieved something when I do aid them, but at the end of the day, if you want to get in a football/soccer team and you want to be a striker. Your friend also wants to join, you know you're on the same level as him and it's proper tight to get in that slot for the trial. You wouldn't start giving him all your pointers on how to pass through the trials, and not consider your self first. That's like being a player who never keeps the ball, and never wants to score. All he does is pass pass pass. Sometimes you gotta think deep about life and say: "Yeah, my friends can wait, because I want to pass this exam".

That's all I gotta say on the matter.

Zeldy
04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
I always think I do crap at tests, then I'll get my tests back and I do better than expected.

Like in my Maths module 1, I was thinking that I did extremely bad as I suck at Maths, but I did get my friend who gets like A*'s in Maths to tutor me and go over anything I didn't understand. I got a B, which is so much better than I expected especially as my school has removed 'Intermediate' so now you're either doing Higher or Foundation in Maths. Im so not at Higher level ;__;!

I have a Mock English Literature GCSE tomorrow :( kndslahdljkl;d