PDA

View Full Version : just a thought

BarelySeeAtAll
04-15-2007, 07:15 PM
i want to see what all of you think cos you cant give me such mencaingly "wtf" stares...
i couldnt actually think of where to put this other than here
if someone loved another person, but say, for some reason, had to have a heart transplant, and swapped hearts with someon else and whatnot, would they still be in love with this person?
you may say no to that one...
so...
if they needed a brain transplant, would they be in love with this person?
its just weeks ago in science we were talking about transplants and how people had a different personality (not exactly that, but it will do for now) and i just wondered about this..
oh, and lets just say that these things are possible :greenie:

Reles
04-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Sorry to say, but love doesn't come from the heart. It's just an expression because when someone's feeling a bit high in the clouds or depressed it makes their heart feel things, but it definitely doesn't store information that's all "omgwtf I'm in love."

As far as the brain, that's entirely different. You do store information there so it wouldn't be the same if you had swapped brains.

Comet
04-15-2007, 07:27 PM
None of your thoughts and feelings come from your heart. Your heart is a muscle which pumps blood around your body.

BarelySeeAtAll
04-15-2007, 07:28 PM
well i was only asking.....well what about the brain?would someone be ENTIRELY different?

Hazzard
04-15-2007, 07:31 PM
What Reles said. No emotion comes from your heart, and it;s just an organ in your body. If that got replaced, you'd still have the same feeling for your partner, but your brain can work in different ways, i think. When since was there a brain transplant? Wouldn't that seriously damage a human beings well being?

Comet
04-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Nah, they happen.

Tallulah
04-15-2007, 08:29 PM
It has been known for people who have organ transplants (especially vital organ - kidney, liver or heart - transplants) to take on personal traits of the donor. There is a recent example which featured in my local paper around four months ago, of a man who had never liked cooking before he had a major organ transplant. When he recovered, he found a fascination with cookery, and was actually quite good at it! It's also been reported numerous times of transplant patients who have been no good at drawing, and when they recover, they discover they have a flair for art.

There has to be some logical explanation, maybe a second chance at life drives patients to try new things and make the most of their lives, and have always had a dormant ability or an innate interest in their apparently 'new found' hobby.

But as for feelings for another person that the previous owner (for lack of a better word :S) goes, there is no evidence to prove this.

BarelySeeAtAll
04-15-2007, 08:58 PM
hmm well i did say that "lets just say these things can happen" so...

Zeldy
04-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Everyone's already said what Id say about the heart thing. Its just sounds nice to say "I LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART".

The brain transplant is quite a freaky idea. Logically, yes, its your Brain that tells your body what to do, and where your language and mind is. Its a scary thought though.

Arc_Master_14
04-15-2007, 09:08 PM
ok your feelings come from this heart
http://www.annerpino.com/2003/heart.jpg
your blood pumping one comes from this
http://www.ynhh.org/cardiac/heart/interior_heart_anatomy.jpg

BarelySeeAtAll
04-15-2007, 09:13 PM
ok, just about everyone has said something along those lines but think about brain transplants and all that...do you think changing a brain would entirely change their personality?do you go with what many think, that they would change a bit, or they wouldnt change at all

Craig
04-15-2007, 09:17 PM
man, if you had a brain transplant wouldnt that just be like.. ok for example if i had a brain transplant with jim carrey wouldnt my mind be in jim carrys body and vice versa?

Vikeve
04-15-2007, 09:29 PM
I think you would still be inlove with that person, maybe there would be changes in you. For instance, new traits and blah blah blah, but I think you would still be basicly the same person.

Agrias
04-15-2007, 09:43 PM
I've heard of cases like these. People get major organ transplants and develop traits they've never had before. But the thing is that the entire body is tied together. Your own body becomes part of your subconscious and conscious routine, so when you donate an organ to someone, they get a part of you and your subconscious.

If you research into those stories, the people who look into why they act like that usually go to the family of the donors and find out that the trait they have is the same trait the person who donated once had. It just goes to show you what amazing and complex bodies we have.

And no the person doesn't change completely, they just gain a trait or two. Its kinda like upgrading except not in the sense that you improve yourself.