PDA

View Full Version : lead characters?

Vincent Valentine 007
04-15-2007, 08:38 PM
on the last couple of games square has made the main character for me haven’t been good enough. If you think of 7 and 8 both Cloud and Squall were great lead characters and fighters you cant really say that about Tidus and Vaan. I think on the next game they should make the main character a real man what does everyone else think?

Fynn
04-15-2007, 09:33 PM
First of all, it has been stated by SE that Vaan is NOT the main character of FFXII.
Secondly, Tidus fitted really well into his story. Changing him would make the whole plot almost pointless. The way he develops is astounding...
What exactly aren't you satisfied with?

Hazzard
04-15-2007, 09:38 PM
The main doesn't always have to be some macho guy, or even a badass.
Tidus was actually quite good, and supplied the goods in battle. I just didn't like his voice. Vaan isn't a lead, so get your facts straight, and he's alright. Why does the next FF need a man? Why can't the next protagonist be female, huh? Answer that.

TyphoonThaReapa
04-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Hmm...I think every character in any game is the way they are for reasons. A character that's out of place makes a pointless game. I have come across game like that. But, so far, none of which is ant FF game. Now they maybe be other FF storyline better than others, But none has flaws as to where the character spoils the whole game. Not yet at least...

Wolf Kanno
04-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm against FF's that focus on a "main character" cause 9 out of 10 times, I generally dislike them and prefer other members of the party but they never get to see the light of day in character development due to not being the main character.

I prefer unfocused groups where everyone gets alittle bit of the spotlight like the older games. I especially like this type of developement cause it's pretty rare in JRPGs and is usually done pretty well.

jammi567
04-15-2007, 10:04 PM
I've liked almost all the main characters, as they're what make the game tick.

Hazzard
04-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Cecil was a very good main character, and he certainly kept the game ticking. I liked his dynamic change from Dark to light.

Takara
04-16-2007, 01:29 AM
I'm against FF's that focus on a "main character" cause 9 out of 10 times, I generally dislike them and prefer other members of the party but they never get to see the light of day in character development due to not being the main character.

I prefer unfocused groups where everyone gets alittle bit of the spotlight like the older games. I especially like this type of developement cause it's pretty rare in JRPGs and is usually done pretty well.

Quoted for truth.

Kanshisha
04-16-2007, 01:56 AM
well whatever the next FF game will be they should have a 5 star ff with all the main chars in the one game!:D it'd be funny and great..

Alex151
04-16-2007, 04:20 AM
Tidus was actually quite good, and supplied the goods in battle. I just didn't like his voice. Vaan isn't a lead, so get your facts straight, and he's alright. Why does the next FF need a man? Why can't the next protagonist be female, huh? Answer that.

Because FF X-2 Blew balls, though all the characters were female, so that could have been an extra kick.

I think a main has to be a male, it brings masculinity to the group, I wouldn't mind seeing a male and female be duel leads but a male has to be up there somewhere.

qwertysaur
04-16-2007, 05:04 AM

Because FF X-2 Blew balls, though all the characters were female, so that could have been an extra kick.

I think a main has to be a male, it brings masculinity to the group, I wouldn't mind seeing a male and female be duel leads but a male has to be up there somewhere.

Well for FF VI, the "main characters" were Terra and Celes. They were both female, and VI was a great game.

Alex151
04-16-2007, 05:15 AM

Well for FF VI, the "main characters" were Terra and Celes. They were both female, and VI was a great game.

yeah I havent ever played 6, I've been wanting to for a long time, but I don't no where to find it.

qwertysaur
04-16-2007, 05:19 AM

yeah I havent ever played 6, I've been wanting to for a long time, but I don't no where to find it.

If you havea Game Boy Advance, get it for that. It will be difficult to find it otherwise. on the Playstation, it is known as Final Fantasy Anthologies along with FFV. On th SNES, it is FF III.

Mirage
04-16-2007, 05:22 AM

Yes, we can never have a female lead ever again, because one game who featured a female lead wasn't too well received. Every female lead in the history of gaming is exactly the same, remember.

Alex151
04-16-2007, 07:29 AM

Yes, we can never have a female lead ever again, because one game who featured a female lead wasn't too well received. Every female lead in the history of gaming is exactly the same, remember.

haha, couldn't have said it better myself

no, maybe I was out of line there, but I do feel that most games need a male lead, maybe because I'm a male, but I'd rather just play it that way

Hazzard
04-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Hell, I'm a male, but from what I've seen of that Lightning chick in XIII, I'm looking forward to a female Protagonist, and if she turns out to be a side main character, then I'll really be pissed. I just hate it when the females are over peppy, and hyper. Or if they're miserable and cold. Why can't they just make them...normal?

Firo Volondé
04-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Sigh... mindless Cloud fanboys. It's your fault Square-Enix comes out with a handful of shoddy games, instead of making real quality. That said, I liked Tidus, since the only thing wrong with him is his voice, and I'm not shallow enough to hate a character for that... and Vaan may not be perfect, but he's a damn sight better than Cloud.

Hazzard
04-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Well, Cloud and Squall were good leads, in my opinion, and Tidus definitely wouldn't be considered the leader in the whole X party. You really think Lulu and Kimarhi would start following orders from him. Maybe Yuna, but not guy's like Auron. In VII and VIII, it's even said throughout the context in the game, that them two are the leaders of their party, and I guess it makes sense, but I hate it when they over rely on the protagonists. In VIII they acted as if it was the end of the world, when they were locked up in prison, and had no Squall. That was actually the most enjoyable part for me, because I could level up everyone, and have a sense of independence without Squall. Same thing for Cloud. That's when everyone caught up to his level or even surpassed it. The games without obvious protagonists, can sometimes be the best.

Cecil in IV is also the main, but you don't lose him. His skills were quite exceptional and he even mastered white magic, but you also couldn't really rely on him too much, cause you needed other characters with their useful abilities. Overall, it was a group effort, and Cecil was a contributer, and although everything revolved around him, it wasn't like it was the be on and end all, if he wasn't present at times. I mostly miss the black mages in that game, than anything.

Dr. Acula
04-16-2007, 11:45 AM
FF1: No main character.

FF2: Firion may have been the main character, but he didn't really have a personality. Out of all the characters, I think Maria, Minwu and Leila were the only people with real personalities.

FF4: Cecil was a good main character. Even as a Dark Knight he cared about other people, and was even prepared to question his king because of them. He really cared about Rosa as well, and was willing to give up one of the crystals for her safety (which was probably a bad idea, as the whole world was at stake), and he had great leadership skills.

FF5: I didn't think much of Bartz. He was an entertaining character, and he wanted to carry on his father's adventuring dreams, but other than that I didn't think he was that great for a main character.

FF6: Terra was a good main character. I think Locke and Celes stole a bit of her limelight there, although I think the game was supposed to be based around her a bit more. In the game, you get to see how she feels a lot of the time, from her fear of her abilities to her want for love. She strove on because she wanted to understand her powers, and she wanted to find something worth living for. I found her to be a great character, even though sometimes she didn't seem like a real main character.

FF7: Cloud was another great character, even if he was confused. He was a little bit of a recluse, but not too much, which is what I liked about him, although he seemed a little more intent on getting revenge on Sephiroth rather than saving the world. You never get to find out who he really fell for in the game, which was probably a good idea (we'd have a lot of upset CloudxAerith fans if it turned out to be CloudxTifa, and vice versa). Having different dialogue choices in the game was another good thing, as it lets you choose bits and pieces of Cloud's personality (eg: was he nice to everybody, or didn't he care about anyone but himself? etc) and all in all he's an awesome character.

FF8: I didn't find Squall to be a particularly good main character. He seemed to only be focused on the job at hand, and only worked on orders regardless of what was happening to his comrades at the time. Also, the fact that he had been chosen as a leader seemed to be a burden for him rather than an honour, which is never good for a main character. He only seemed interested in Rinoa at the dance, then later ignored her, then all of a sudden it was revealed he was completely head-over-heels for her. She changed him very much. Now he had her, he was doing things he wasn't ordered to do (eg: go out into space to save her, etc), and he was a little more caring about other people. He was a good character nearer to the end of the game, but other than that, he wasn't a very good main character at all.

FF12: Vaan isn't really counted as a main character, but because he's the first character you use, I'll pretend he IS the main character. Vaan was quite naive at times ("How old were you again?":rolleyes2 ) and he didn't seem to be there for any real reason. He was a little childish, which isn't a good trait for a main character (sure, they can be laid back, but childish isn't good) and he seemed more interested in airships than anything else. I haven't finished the game yet (I've only just passed Draklor Laboratory), so he might get better later on, but that's my opinion so far.

Hazzard
04-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Vaan-There isn't really much dialogue in the game to judge him by, and you forgot Tidus and the others, Acula.

Dragonface
04-16-2007, 03:22 PM
What about FF9?

Yliette
04-16-2007, 10:17 PM
AFAIK the videogame industry is dominated by men. I suppose male leads will make a better appeal to the masses.

But as for FFX-2 I've read somewhere that Squeenix intentionally designed YRP to have provocative outfits as to attract the male gamers. Lame marketing strategy though.

Vincent Valentine 007
04-16-2007, 11:01 PM
First of all, it has been stated by SE that Vaan is NOT the main character of FFXII.
Secondly, Tidus fitted really well into his story. Changing him would make the whole plot almost pointless. The way he develops is astounding...
What exactly aren't you satisfied with?

Vaan isn’t the main character? how comes you play him from the beginning to the end then? as for Tidus he was the weakest fighter in my party maybe i didn’t do everything right with him? im just sick of all these wimps having the lead roles, what i want in the next final fantasy game is a good lead character who can fight!

Yliette
04-16-2007, 11:09 PM
If you think current FF leads are wimps then deal with it. Nobody wants to hear anyone complain about the unchangeable. Also please consider the people who in turn admire these "wimps" of which you speak of.

It's also been stated that Vaan isn't actually the lead. SE intended that each character have equal stands in the story. And when you think about it carefully Ashe is the central figure of FFXII and practically the leader of the party.

Can't wait for Lightning though! :D I've read she's like Cloud's female version.

Hazzard
04-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Can't wait for Lightning though! :D I've read she's like Cloud's female version.

Same, like I stated many times before.
Also, explain why the weakest person is the worst lead, and not ideal? (This is addressed to the haters of weak leads)

Aerisfanatic
04-16-2007, 11:30 PM
on the last couple of games square has made the main character for me haven’t been good enough. If you think of 7 and 8 both Cloud and Squall were great lead characters and fighters you cant really say that about Tidus and Vaan. I think on the next game they should make the main character a real man what does everyone else think?
uhh i have to agree with everything accept for tidus i thought he was a good lead, vann i have to agree sucked and the next installment is ff13 and the lead cant be a "real man" like you stated cause the lead is female

Hazzard
04-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Jesus...Vaan was not the lead, how many times does that need to get said...

Takara
04-17-2007, 03:54 AM
The series needs a good female lead instead of feminine looking male ones.

Mirage
04-17-2007, 04:41 AM
Takara knows it.

Dr. Acula
04-17-2007, 05:01 AM
Vaan-There isn't really much dialogue in the game to judge him by, and you forgot Tidus and the others, Acula.

The games I talked about are the only ones I've played.

Hazzard
04-17-2007, 09:15 AM

I guessed that when you missed out by treasured, X :p

Dr. Acula
04-18-2007, 01:21 AM

I guessed that when you missed out by treasured, X :p

It's sad isn't it? I've never played X, and I can't find it in any of the stores I go to!
I also missed out FFTA, which I have, but I can't be bothered typing about Marche at the moment.

auhin
04-18-2007, 01:39 AM
Out of all that I own, I guess Zidane and Cecil are my favorites. Vaan wasn't that bad really. I didn't like Tidus; never played VIII too much to appreciate Squall.