PDA

View Full Version : EoFF Ultra Challenge Project: MMO (Partially Crazy! :p)

Laddy
04-17-2007, 02:21 AM
Look above, look at my sanity, look down, a canvas for an attempt to create an MMO through any means necessary. Crazy? Yep. I don't care, book the flight to Kooksville, I DO NOT CARE, Thing is, no matter what happens, it will take money, time, effort and kooks as insane as myself, I'm gonna take a stab at MMO's, and I don't care what happens! It may just be a concept or the real thing, I DO NOT CARE!

Needed People:

Programmers
Testers
Artists
Director
Producer(s)
Music and Sound
Gameplay 1 (Actual Gameplay quests, equipment, etc.)
Gameplay 2(Classes, Races, Stories, World.)
Writers
An Engine
Anthing else.
Poject Leader (That's me!)

I will lead the project, :) ! I will also help inm Gameplay 2. Now, prepare for insomnia, insanity, dementia, dementia (I said that twice!;) ) and last, but not least, sweet, sweet satisfaction, now sign up!

Khaotic
04-17-2007, 03:35 AM
What are we talking here.. a game such as ragnarok online, or a much less talented game made with flash, if it's RO, good luck..

If this turns out to be serious I may be interested.

Rostum
04-17-2007, 03:46 AM
I could probably take a stab at some music and sound effects.

Rase
04-17-2007, 04:30 AM
Eh, what the heck, sign me up as a Writer/Gameplay 1/Gameplay 2 person I guess.

Also, what exactly would you expect a Director or Producer do?

TyphoonThaReapa
04-17-2007, 04:37 AM
I wouldn't mind being Gameplay 2...:cool:

Avarice-ness
04-17-2007, 04:47 AM
I could do class sktches! I've been lacking to mch in the art department lately, I need a challenge... even if it leads to not much. :heart:

AND THEN I REMEMBER I NEVER DREW STRIDER HIS CHARA DESIGNS. x x;

Oh and what classes would be there~

Spammerman
04-17-2007, 04:52 AM
Can there be a ranger or hunter-esque class, that uses bows or rifles?

Khaotic
04-17-2007, 05:07 AM
Alright seems some people are interested so far, so.. I'd like to be either gameplay 1 or 2, doesn't matter to me.

Arc_Master_14
04-17-2007, 05:21 AM
ill be a tester lol

JackNapier
04-17-2007, 05:24 AM
I think I'll give it a go, sign me up as a writer.

Rase
04-17-2007, 07:07 AM
If you're serious about this, Kaneva (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaneva_Game_Platform) may be a good engine to test out.

Araciel
04-17-2007, 07:25 AM
iunno...uhm races etc?

i heard somewhere that there are like 200 mmorpgs on the horizon for the next two years or somesuch.

Maxico
04-17-2007, 07:31 AM
You actually have the money to buy and maintain a server to run this all on? What will you actually contribute to the project?

I've seen far too many "HEY GUYS, LET'S ALL MAKE A MMORPG, I NEED 3000 CODERS/ARTISTS AND YOU GUYS DO ALL THE WORK" proposals in my time.

What are we talking here.. a game such as ragnarok online, or a much less talented game made with flash, if it's RO, good luck..

I direct you to http://www.dofus.com/ as an example of what can be done in Flash.

Khaotic
04-17-2007, 09:02 AM
You actually have the money to buy and maintain a server to run this all on? What will you actually contribute to the project?

I've seen far too many "HEY GUYS, LET'S ALL MAKE A MMORPG, I NEED 3000 CODERS/ARTISTS AND YOU GUYS DO ALL THE WORK" proposals in my time.

I direct you to http://www.dofus.com/ as an example of what can be done in Flash.

I never said flash wasn't good, just not as good as something involving programing. Some java/flash games are very successful, such as Runescape. I was referring to stuff like, cheap made flash games, like newground type stuff.

Maxico
04-17-2007, 05:31 PM
I never said flash wasn't good, just not as good as something involving programing.

I'm not quite sure how you would go about creating a game in Flash, without programming. To do anything in Flash, besides a simple looping animation, requires programming.

Anyway, to reiterate my point, I've seen the classic "Hugely over ambitious concept, followed by long list of people to do the work for you" a million or so times, and really, unless you're a good programmer or artist who really knows what he is doing, I very much doubt that you'll be able to pull this off. You need to speak the language before you tell people what to do.

Discord
04-17-2007, 08:59 PM
I never said flash wasn't good, just not as good as something involving programing.

I'm not quite sure how you would go about creating a game in Flash, without programming. To do anything in Flash, besides a simple looping animation, requires programming.

You could script...:p

Anyway, to reiterate my point, I've seen the classic "Hugely over ambitious concept, followed by long list of people to do the work for you" a million or so times, and really, unless you're a good programmer or artist who really knows what he is doing, I very much doubt that you'll be able to pull this off. You need to speak the language before you tell people what to do.

You forgot dedicated really. I know a bunch of guys who attempted to write MMO games, some of them in Flash actually, but after half a year of work, that's 6+ hours a day, you've got a field, few basic textures and a unit that can move from left to right.

Unlike OpenSource programms, which take a while to write, games require entire crews of directors, animators, designers, programmers, etc to be successful. Look at the production values of popular games alone. Creating a game isn't reallty something you do over a weekend, or two, or three...

Avarice-ness
04-17-2007, 09:29 PM
So have we figured out the classes yet? xD

Hazzard
04-17-2007, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't mind participating, and writing some of the script.

Araciel
04-17-2007, 10:01 PM

i think that depends on the setting...will it be fantasy, futuristic, steampunk, cyberpunk, modern??

Shoeberto
04-17-2007, 10:08 PM
An army of artists, writers, gameplay directors, and testers means absolutely jack without a slew of dedicated coders to tie it all together, and most coders are more sensible than to take on an overly ambitious project like this with people who know nothing about the actual process of game design.

Basically, I think you're aiming your sights too high. MMOs aren't exactly the easiest things to construct with a ragtag team of people online. If you'd like to take on a project without any prior experience, try making an RPG Maker game with your team. Trying to jump ahead to something advanced like this, though, is asking for failure.

Discord
04-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Actually, Stu has got a good point here.

Try making a game with a bunch of already provided toolsets, such as RPGMaker or the NWN editor. Both would give fairly reasonable results and require "little" coding. It's more than doable.

Araciel
04-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Actually, Stu has got a good point here.

Try making a game with a bunch of already provided toolsets, such as RPGMaker or the NWN editor. Both would give fairly reasonable results and require "little" coding. It's more than doable.

the NWN editor can't make a game...i don't know what RPG maker is...NWN just lets you make your own adventures...and it's boring

*goes to write instead*

Avarice-ness
04-17-2007, 10:43 PM

i think that depends on the setting...will it be fantasy, futuristic, steampunk, cyberpunk, modern??

I just realized that we have no info yet. u U

I agree with Mr. Shoe, Grin, and Ara.

Also, I think it would be helpful to recruit people by giving some insight into this game. It's like a person that has a script that is being pitched, they don't go straight to hiring the actors and such, they first have to successfully pitch the script to get people interested in it.

Shoeberto
04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
RPG Maker (there's actually four versions) is a program used to create RPGs easily. It uses 2D sprites and a simple scripting program to create everything in it. Some aspects (such as menu layout and battle systems) are hardcoded, but that's to make things as streamlined as possible. Besides, if you get creative enough, you can make a fun system out of your own using what's there.

It's a good way to run through and see if you really have what it takes to do game design.

Araciel
04-17-2007, 10:49 PM
RPG Maker (there's actually four versions) is a program used to create RPGs easily. It uses 2D sprites and a simple scripting program to create everything in it. Some aspects (such as menu layout and battle systems) are hardcoded, but that's to make things as streamlined as possible. Besides, if you get creative enough, you can make a fun system out of your own using what's there.

It's a good way to run through and see if you really have what it takes to do game design.

i checked it out and it seems useful and reminiscent of the games released in north america for PS1 of the same name

i think that if i were part of the gaming industry i'd just want to be on the creative end...let the math people do the drudgery of coding

Discord
04-18-2007, 02:16 AM

i checked it out and it seems useful and reminiscent of the games released in north america for PS1 of the same name

i think that if i were part of the gaming industry i'd just want to be on the creative end...let the math people do the drudgery of coding

Hehe, guess why the games crash like hell in the past years while the old PC games were fairly stable. Many components, yes, but also the fact that you get a manager bursting into the room every 20 minutes with HIS OWN GREAT NEW FEATURE that you have implement right away...

On the matter of NWN editor. I've heard that you can actually use it (and a few other programs:p) to write completely new games based on the existing engine. Of course, it's good ten times as difficult as RPG maker for someone who's starting from the green.

Laddy
04-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Oh, lots, yes, I'm damn serious, thing is, we are starting from scratch except for this info...

-The races are: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Orc, Dragling, and Barbarian.

-The classes are: Fighter, Monk, Hunter, Paladin, Mage, Alchemist, Priest, Artist.

-The setting is fantasy.

-We have three fuding nations, one good (Breydan), one evil (Volsodain), one good-outlaw (Cheranna.)

-All people wish to gain the control of the Land Of Enternity, this land lasts forever, and the nations all fight for it.

That's all I have so far.

I don't care, to be honest, I lead the project, but everyone decides. Those who signed up (I may missed some)

Khaotic
Omecle
Rase
TyphoonThaReapa
Avarice-ness
Arc_Master_14
Ubel
Araciel

I actually am not planning to do an advanced engine, a pre-made, simpler MMO engine is my goal. Anything will work, really. Don't expect something incredibly big, so it's worth the try, also, I plan all of us to pitch in with many things, making it much cheaper in effort, money, or time.

Avarice-ness
04-18-2007, 02:35 AM
Yay, now I have stuff to doodle because I've been -extremely- bored since I quit my job to move. <3

Laddy
04-18-2007, 02:43 AM
As of now, you can do whatever you want, doodle, think of music, ideas, it all starts now.

Markus. D
04-18-2007, 03:32 AM
:333

sounds fun ^-^~

I'll lurk and watch and/or take 40% of the overall prophets ^-^

Laddy
04-18-2007, 03:34 AM
Not quite...

Rostum
04-18-2007, 12:34 PM
I know some people have managed to make a simple MMO with RPG Maker XP. Whether it's good or stable is up in the air, but either way it'll take a heap of work (and using RMXP is the simplest way I know, as I've found ruby script to be fairly easy to learn than compared to other languages).

I don't really think this'll get off the ground as I've seen too many people with the attitude "Hey let's make this sort of game, now I need all these people to work for me and I just tell them what to do". But I'll agree to muck around with some music and see what I can come up with, I don't really mind because I'd be doing it anyways.

Flying Mullet
04-18-2007, 12:34 PM
An army of artists, writers, gameplay directors, and testers means absolutely jack without a slew of dedicated coders to tie it all together, and most coders are more sensible than to take on an overly ambitious project like this with people who know nothing about the actual process of game design.
This is the most important sentence of the responses in this entire thread. Until you have some programmers/coders, don't even bother moving forward with this, as the programmers and coders are the ones that will make it happen. Plus, they'll be the hardest to get.

Araciel
04-18-2007, 04:43 PM

sounds fun ^-^~

i'm not interested in prophets...but i'll take profits.

Laddy
04-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah, that's why I plan to use a premade engine and stuff.

Discord
04-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah, that's why I plan to use a premade engine and stuff.

You know that a pre-made engine isn't going to help you much unless you know how to code for it and mind you, it's all but easy.

Renmiri
04-18-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm in.

I offer hosting in my site for free for the project, and some coding help.

I actually have 2 RPGs running there which are the text equivalent of an MMO except they are not exactly "massive" right now <blushes>: one has around 10 regulars (http://eternalspira.ffproject.net/) and another has 5 regular players (http://forums.ffproject.net/showthread.php?t=1259)

PS: Instead of Kaneva why not use the PS3 "Home" ?

Laddy
04-19-2007, 02:30 AM
Oh, fantastic, thank you, Renmiri.

I will think of a name right now for the project.

Also, I know it will be hard, that's the reason for the ridiculously word-loaded title.

Markus. D
04-19-2007, 06:12 AM

sounds fun ^-^~

i'm not interested in prophets...but i'll take profits.

I like prophets ;-;

Araciel
04-19-2007, 06:14 AM
dude they're so hardly ever right

Laddy
04-20-2007, 03:45 AM
LOL!

Laddy
04-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Weekly Update

A working title: Blood Age and a declaration on an idea: Flash (as of now, probably will change.)

Look for more later. ;)

Spammerman
04-24-2007, 09:46 PM
dude they're so hardly ever right

Maybe their using reverse pyschology.

Or they suck.

JackNapier
04-25-2007, 02:02 AM
I'm going to have to drop out of this project. I've just got way too many other things on my plate right now. Sorry guys, you have my full support though.

Laddy
04-25-2007, 02:25 AM
Okay. :)

Jessweeee♪
04-28-2007, 12:08 PM
I can't. I'm grounded T^T

WOE IS MEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Laddy
05-01-2007, 11:16 PM
WEEKLY UPDATE WOOHOO!
Well, I decided I'd make a freewebs site. It only has a froum now, so click your heart away! Red Storm Online :: (http://www.freewebs.com/underlingno606/)

Renmiri
05-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, lemme know if you ever want to move from freewebs.

Laddy
05-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Okey dokey, then thanks. :)