PDA

View Full Version : rather short?!?

animephill
04-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Ok so did anyone else feel that FFX was too short? Just as I was getting into it the game was over. Don't get me wrong it was a great story line and a great game, but I wanted more.

Young Mally
04-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Well, not really. But it could have been extented a little. It wouldn't hurt.:cool:

Christmas
04-17-2007, 04:12 PM
FF X-2!

Little Blue
04-17-2007, 04:22 PM
I sometimes feel like it is yes. I think I get that impression because of how linear it is, it is literaly just walking in a line. You never get to revisit places through the story, its always on to pastures new. That's all well and good, and is called for by the nature of the story (with it being a pilgrimage and all I guess), but I miss the times in like FF IX when you had to return to cities like Lindblum or Alexandria to progress the story as well as explore new places.

Young Mally
04-17-2007, 04:24 PM
FF X-2!

That's a joke right? Like hell that counts...:tongue:

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
04-17-2007, 05:35 PM
i agree the main storyline was short but the game itself wasnt. if u take into account all the secret stuff it take plenty of time to master it (master being defeat nemesis or penance if u hav int)

Tallulah
04-17-2007, 05:44 PM
When I bought it (or rather when I dragged my dad to the GAME store to buy it for me for my birthday because he is clueless about video games), the man behind the counter said that the average play time to complete the basic game was around 24 hours, and since I spend 40 hours plus on other FF installments, this is a dramatic shortening, so yes it is short in comparison, but I think it was meant to be like that.

The sidequests, e.g. getting the Celestial Weapons, Blitzball, fiend hunting, Dark Aeons (Europe), Penance (also only Europe, I think) etc. take more time to master, add more depth to the story, and is where the extensions of the game lies, as devil's phoenix said.

I also agree with Studder; FFX-2 definitely doesn't count! :p

Finola
04-17-2007, 07:03 PM
The actual story feels short after you have beaten the final boss, but when you're still playing it feels a wide story.
But yeah, somewhere in the middle of it could have been more stuff.
Still, there's a lot to do so the things you can accomplish aren't done quickly.

Hazzard
04-17-2007, 07:42 PM
No.

Tavrobel
04-17-2007, 08:16 PM
FFX is inherently much more linear than any of the others. As for story line alone, it is one of the longest, but you don't waste any time doing anything else, which tends to drag the storyline out, and connect in a few parts, and not really contribute anything at all.

Renmiri
04-17-2007, 09:33 PM
but you don't waste any time doing anything else, which tends to drag the storyline out, and connect in a few parts, and not really contribute anything at all.

XII!!! :p there's so much out of plot side stuff you barely remember the story when you finally get back to it.

Note: You can go back and talk to the fayth at temples, hunt for celestial weapons, find out what Clasko is up to...

Tavrobel
04-17-2007, 09:50 PM
I do seriously hope that you realize that I'm talking about other games.

I think I forgot a small section of statement that would make it [your quote] refer to other games.

Psychotic
04-17-2007, 10:23 PM
I got 100 or so hours out of it, so no, not really.

Renmiri
04-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Yes, that is why I was laughing and mentioning XII

Huh ? What ? Who ? ;)

animephill
04-18-2007, 12:30 AM
I agree that FFXII is visually beautiful and not to mention the story line is great, but i wish they kept to turnbased battles thats the true final fantasy combat system. thats the only thing i dont like.:(

Simen
04-18-2007, 06:59 PM
I wanted more from FFX, yes. But it's not very short. It has
a medium length. It should maybe have been a little longer, tho.

Breine
05-02-2007, 09:05 PM
No, I actually thought it was just right. As far as I remember it took me just around 60 hours playing through it (leveling up and some sidequests included), and I just pretty much thought that that was completely fine. Maybe the storyline was moving somewhat fast towards the end, but what the heck. It was still a great game.

Bolivar
05-06-2007, 04:04 AM
last time I did. I left it alone for about 6 months, and picked up on the mountain where you fight seymour, and being that there wasn't alot to go after that, i was a little shocked when i learned that all i had left was Sin.

But if you want to complete all the sidequests, it's one of the longest FF's.

Cloudane
05-08-2007, 01:27 PM
I think it feels short because of the linearity, and that there were fewer locations I think. Let's see, off the top of my head...

Besaid, Kilika, Luca, Mi'ihen Highroad, that battle site, Djose Highroad/Temple, Moonflow, Guadosalam, Thunder plains, Foresty place/ice temple, the desert, Calm Lands, Mt Gagazet, Zanarkand, Inside Sin (a few locations there)
Plus a couple of hidden areas from the airship.

I have a rubbish memory with names but think I got it approximately right :p

When you look at it, it seems a fair few locations. But then if you look at FF7's list...

Midgar (several areas, plus Shinra HQ), Kalm, Chocobo Ranch, Mithril mines, Condor fortress, Junon, Costa Del Sol, Corel Reactor area, Corel, Golden Saucer, Desert prison, Gongaga, Cosmo Canyon, Nibelheim, Rocket Town, Wutai, Ancient Temple, Ancient City, Icicle Town, Icicle Inn, Northern Crater part 1, that town with the lifestream lake, Northern Crater part 2, plus other minor areas, plus several hidden caves and things...

Yeah, FFX seems quite small in comparison. But it seems to last just as long.

FFXII in comparison... I haven't finished it yet (because it's dull) but I know I'm not far off the end and yet it's as if it's just started. The issue there is lots of places, but you just plough away fighting your way from one side to the other using pretty bridges and things, and there's not so much in the way of exploration (no specific hidden treasures, bah)

Crossblades
05-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Between doing the main story and 90% of the game's sidequests, it took me about 56 hours, so nah, I didn't find it short

Setzer Gabianni
05-08-2007, 02:47 PM
lolz, more flaming of FFXII Renmiri. She's hooked on it.

I agree that FFXII is visually beautiful and not to mention the story line is great, but i wish they kept to turnbased battles thats the true final fantasy combat system. thats the only thing i dont like.

How would you know? (Note: Seriously, how WOULD you know :tongue: ) The games have only stuck with one type of battling system until recently, so let the creators experiment with more before making a final judgement. It only feels like that because we've had the same system for so long. BTW, if you want to include random battles, don't. It's not a FF element. It's appeared in other series.

Note: You can go back and talk to the fayth at temples, hunt for celestial weapons, find out what Clasko is up to...

How is fun dodging 200 lightbolts without getting hit and riding a chocobo purely to get a perfect time as part of the celestial weapon quest? FFX probably had 3 sidequests/minigames worthy of attempting. Blitzball, even though that got dull after while once you overpowered your team. Monster arena, and the Dark Aeon hunting.

FFXII in comparison... I haven't finished it yet (because it's dull) but I know I'm not far off the end and yet it's as if it's just started. The issue there is lots of places, but you just plough away fighting your way from one side to the other using pretty bridges and things, and there's not so much in the way of exploration (no specific hidden treasures, bah)

So hunting for the Zodiac Spear in the deadly Necrohol of Nabudis doesn't count? It's incredibly hard to find, especially if you open one of the four DO NOT OPEN chests. Not so much in the way of exploration?! Impossible. You had freedom to explore, there was a lot you could discover. Treasures don't always have to count as weaponry if you're thinking along those lines. Espers are hidden, and you can also fight trophy rare game in XII - collect the trophies, sell so much off to a certain bangaa at the hunt club for something worthwhile! :eek:

Back to the whole FFX thing..it was way too long. Well, maybe not in terms of gameplay, but the FMV's made things drag. Way too much.

Cloudane
05-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Gosh. Down, fanboy... they're just opinions :D

It's just personal taste. Sure there are some hidden bits and pieces, but I definitely preferred the FFVII-style days of "turn the clock to 'blah' and grab the ribbon from the treasure chest (which was always there)" to FFXII's "If you explore the area you can find some treasure chests, they can contain either a gambit(rare), a potion(uncommon) or 22 gil(ridiculously common)!" (exaggerated, but you get the idea)

The only thing too long with FFX, imo, was the bit inside Sin. At that point you just want to get on with kicking its arse, but you have to fight through zone after zone after zone. And if you fail to beat the first baddie you end up going through all that ice-crystals-popping-out-of-ground tedium again.

Also the other reason it feels long even though it was quite short - random battles every 2 steps! FFX was *hell* for random battles, especially going up Macalania forest and Gagazet Mountain the long ways, those were the true meaning of torture. This is where FFXII excels (due to its ditching of random battles), as even though agro is unavoidable you can just hold 'run' if you want to get on with things without having to sit through the battle-smash, opening scene and fading scene every time.

Setzer Gabianni
05-08-2007, 04:54 PM
:( Blame Renmiri. She started it all off. Seriously, I know they're opinions at the end of the day, but, I always like to have a little..well..fun :P

It's just personal taste. Sure there are some hidden bits and pieces, but I definitely preferred the FFVII-style days of "turn the clock to 'blah' and grab the ribbon from the treasure chest (which was always there)" to FFXII's "If you explore the area you can find some treasure chests, they can contain either a gambit(rare), a potion(uncommon) or 22 gil(ridiculously common)!" (exaggerated, but you get the idea)

<3 I understand. Sometimes I was like..I NEED MORE MUNNEH D: But then again I was a loot whore.

crazybayman
05-08-2007, 06:46 PM
:( Blame Renmiri. She started it all off. Seriously, I know they're opinions at the end of the day, but, I always like to have a little..well..fun :P

<3 I understand. Sometimes I was like..I NEED MORE MUNNEH D: But then again I was a loot whore.

Heh....yeah.

Chests are supposed to be exciting. Not HOLY $H1T ANOTHER POTION :mad2:

And I too find the story somewhat boring. I've done the Pharos (I think it was the Pharos, the big-a$$ wind tower, which reminded me of the sky tower in FF1), and I've put it down to go play the older FFs.

Back on topic, I did like the length of FFX. Plus the sidequests were great, battle system was great, areas were great, even the random battles, etc.

Cloudane
05-08-2007, 08:39 PM

*blames Renmiri* :p

Skeleton chains are your friend. Early in the game, the last section of that mine place (where you get chased out and where that giant turtle thing is later on)

Later in the game, the two zones just before the equivalent of gagazet (can't remember what it's called, where the old thinking guy is), after golmore jungle.

Every time you go 2 zones away the farthest zone repopulates so just use that to get a massive chain of skellies. Both drop things that sell for some fair gil.