PDA

View Full Version : How is the Storyline?

animephill
04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
alright so I just beat FFX and I am about to start X-2 but i was wondering if it follows the story of X or is it completely off story.

Christmas
04-17-2007, 04:53 PM
MARVELLOUS, IT HAD THE BEST STORYLINE THROUGH ALL THE OTHER FF SERIES I HAD EVER PLAYED AND I PLAY THROUGH IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO EXPERIENCE THE PAIN, AGONY AND YET THE JOY AND HAPPINESS THE TRULY INGENIOUS STORYLINE OF FF X-2 HAD BROUGHT ME. IT IS LIKE SOMETHING THAT NEVER APPEAR IN HISTORY NOR WILL IT EVER APPEAR IN THE FUTURE, IT IS THE 1337 THE UBER HAXXOR TO THE MOTHERSMURFING MAX BABY, THE STORYLINE IS THE REASON WHY THIS UNIVERSE EVER EXIST FOR!

PS: My favourite part of the story is when Cloud finish off Seifer with Grand Lethal.

TyphoonThaReapa
04-17-2007, 04:56 PM
MARVELLOUS, IT HAD THE BEST STORYLINE THROUGH ALL THE OTHER FF SERIES I HAD EVER PLAYED AND I PLAY THROUGH IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO EXPERIENCE THE PAIN, AGONY AND YET THE JOY AND HAPPINESS THE TRULY INGENIOUS STORYLINE OF FF X-2 HAD BROUGHT ME. IT IS LIKE SOMETHING THAT NEVER APPEAR IN HISTORY NOR WILL IT EVER APPEAR IN THE FUTURE, IT IS THE 1337 THE UBER HAXXOR TO THE MOTHERSMURFING MAX BABY, THE STORYLINE IS THE REASON WHY THIS UNIVERSE EVER EXIST FOR!

PS: My favourite part of the story is when Cloud finish off Seifer with Grand Lethal.

Basically, it sucked...:tongue:

Little Blue
04-17-2007, 05:12 PM
alright so I just beat FFX and I am about to start X-2 but i was wondering if it follows the story of X or is it completely off story.

It could be said that it follows X's story only if by follow you mean completely butcher :D The side stories I think are better. It's fun to play though so play it yourself and make up your own mind as to whether you like the story or not.

Tavrobel
04-17-2007, 08:09 PM
There was a storyline?

Little Blue
04-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Yeah, it was the boy meets girl, boy imagines girl is someone else, boy goes on rampage to destroy everything, girl stops him story, remember? Oh, and girl dances around in skimpy costume sometime in the middle too.

Tavrobel
04-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Yeah, it was the boy meets girl, boy imagines girl is someone else, boy goes on rampage to destroy everything, girl stops him story, remember? Oh, and girl dances around in skimpy costume sometime in the middle too.

You're killing me.

Seriously, you're killing what's left of the humor, sarcasm, and thought sections of my brain.

Little Blue
04-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Excellent.

Tallulah
04-17-2007, 09:20 PM

I loled at that, Xmas, especially the spoiler!

I actually really enjoyed the story line (don't look at me like that!) and it was actually the only reason I played the game, which sucked mostly, to the end. WARNING: IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED FFX GO AWAY NOW AS THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS AFOOT! BESIDES, WHAT THE FUDGE ARE YOU DOING HERE?!?!

Basically, it is two years on from FFX, and Yuna is famous for bringing the Eternal Calm, and is a sphere hunter. She, and her fellow sphere hunters, Rikku, Paine, Brother, Shinra and Buddy, have recently found some spheres, one which is particularly interesting, a movie sphere of man who resembles Tidus, who turned out to be a dream at the end of FFX. He is in some kind of prison, arguing he did what he did because 'it was the only way to save the summoner!' Who is the summoner? Where was the sphere shot? And, most importantly, who is the mysterious Tidus-a-like?

Whilst the plot is by no means intricate, and while there are some dodgy scenes (ahem, particularly the Mount Gagazet hot springs scene, whilst you are searching for Leblanc Syndicate uniforms... -_-), I think it's really interesting how Yuna et al try to resolve unresolved conflicts between the Youth League and New Yevon, and discover a new threat to this world, which is when the game gets interesting! Right near the end, funnily enough...

Tavrobel
04-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Right near the end, funnily enough...

If that sentence doesn't end with "I then threw my controller at the game in a fit of rage, due to it's poor construction and mangled contradictions that completely destroy any quality that might have come along with FFX," then I may just applaud you, but it's not for praise.

Renmiri
04-17-2007, 09:23 PM
I liked the story too, just hated that they hired Charlie's Angels to play YRP this time ;)

Goldenboko
04-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Awful, PERIOD.

Psychotic
04-17-2007, 10:29 PM
It's not especially deep or thought-provoking, but it's enjoyable enough. The side elements like the Crimson Squad or the story of Lenne and Shuyin is where it really shines.

Mirage
04-17-2007, 10:33 PM
If the storyline is what drives you to play FF games, you probably won't like it. If you consider gameplay an equally important part, then you might like it.

Fynn
04-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Imo the game was quite enjoyable. The gameplay was fun and even though the story lacked the depth and seriousness of X, it was still fine but in a totally diferent fashion. The thing that annoyed me most was the music - how could they dump Nobuo!? (I like 1000 Words though... And this soundtrack, ironically, turned out to be the best Piano Colletions album)

Renmiri
04-17-2007, 10:56 PM
The opening, Kuon - Memories of Light and Wave < droolls >

The rest could have died a horrible death in someone's unreleased j-pop song ideas :mad:

SeeDRankLou
04-17-2007, 11:07 PM
In many RPGs the story is what drives the game. In this RPG, the game is what drives the story, leaving it open ended. Many RPGs tell one story with a few very minor deviations that can occur. This RPG could possibly tell at least 10 stories, depending on how you play. They will all come to the same point at the very end, but can go several ways about 4/5 through the game. It is very very easy to just rush through the game and see maybe 10% of the story, which turns people off. You actually have to look for the story, it's not just given to you (not that it's that hard to find or anything). You can also, to a certain extent, play the game in any order you wish, which makes it nice. It also makes it very unorganized, if you put the game down for a while you very well might forget where you are and what you've done in certain areas of the game. The game tries to keep you informed, but doesn't do the most superb job in the world. This game lets you play it however you want, which is a nice change from the linear storyline we've had so many times before (not that those were bad, it's just a nice change).

This story is deep in a Lifetime coming-of-age for-tv movie kind of way. It's not epic on the scale that has been previously done. And it's not that dramatic or serious in tone. Even in the dramatic parts of the game it still keeps a somewhat light tone. The story is cute, funny and lively. I think that's the best way to describe it. It's not for everyone, similar to how FFVIII is not for everyone. It most definately is told from a female's point of view (somewhat stereotypically so), which longtime Final Fantasy players are not at all used to. And despite what you might hear, this game does nothing to destroy the quality or depth of the story of FFX, if anything this game complements FFX. People just don't like change sometimes. This very much is not the same type of story as FFX was.

I found the story rather enjoyable. And I think you will too as long as you don't go into the game thinking that you are going to be playing another FFX. The girl's perspective of the game might turn you off, but I personally found it fun and rather humorous at times (silly girls).

Nominus Experse
04-18-2007, 05:13 AM
Gameplay: fun

Story: slaughters what FFX built

Fynn
04-19-2007, 03:30 PM
The opening, Kuon - Memories of Light and Wave < droolls >

Oooh... How could I forget THAT one? < drools as well >

Story: slaughters what FFX built

I'd have to disagree... This bit I don't get - the story wasn't all that bad, people! It was fun! It was waaaaaaay better then that Brath of Fire crap... That thing left a severe scar on my soul...

KasaiDraco
04-21-2007, 01:34 AM
It's kinda like Zelda, except a girl tries to save a boy.

silentenigma
04-28-2007, 10:56 PM
don't play it, don't play it, don't play it.

Markus. D
05-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Basically every location has it's own story to tell.

and play it.

even for the gameplay.

KasaiDraco
05-05-2007, 02:45 AM
Yeah, get it. It has a crappy stary, but a good game.

Ashley Schovitz
05-05-2007, 03:26 AM
It's still better than XII's in my opinion. After hours of fighting through fields and dungeons then coming to a cutscene where I fight a major boss I don't go Huh what's going on. And at least the characters in this game communicate more with each other in X-2, but it's still not that great.

Jessweeee♪
05-09-2007, 04:36 AM
Well, it's got a great overall plot, but it's poorly developed u.u

You see, the entire game is done in sidequests. You go to every place and they all have at least one mission per chapter, plus some extra things. Because they're sidequests they have nothing to do with the main story, so through nearly the whole thing, you aren't moving near the story's climax at all.

If they didn't do the game in sidequests, and developed the story a little more, it would have been awesome.

Oh, and there are multiple endings, and the ending you get the first time you beat the game usually determines your overall opinion of the story. Most people typically get the lame ending on their first try, and that's why people are all HATE HATE HATE about it.

Gameplay is awesome ^-^

By the way, why are there only five topics here?

Spawn of Sephiroth
05-09-2007, 02:32 PM
One word, CRAP!!!

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Another common pattern:
Boys say it's crap,
Girls think it's good.

Tavrobel
05-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Another common pattern:
Boys say it's crap,
Girls think it's good.

Uhh, no. What a baseless generalization that is another attempt at uninformed tent-gathering.

How about to each his own? If some of us who have played good games before just happen to have hated this game because we have a standard of comparision, or if some of us how dislike this game actually think story is important when valid, or if some of us actually know enough to know that this game is bile, we can't be held responsible.

I should hope that girls would be the ones would would dislike this game more, because YRP isn't my idea of role models. They are basically little Paris Hiltons running around, breaking the law, and angering people.

Don't consider that all of us are mindless cretins. There are some people who have a valid argument against this game, while others are kool-aid drinkers.

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2007, 12:59 AM
I knew you'd have something to say about it, and I thought maybe I shouldn't type it, but then I did anyway :eep:

I was just stating, that most boys don't like it, and most of the people who do like it (I'm totally loving how I can use Control+I for Italics now) are girls.

Tavrobel
05-11-2007, 01:02 AM
I have many male friend who likes the game.

He's even posted in this thread, and I disagree with him on all points, except that most RPGs need a plot.

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Okie Dokie, then, how about I make a little poll?

Tavrobel
05-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Everyone knows that people on the internet are male.

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2007, 01:21 AM
o.O

Aaaannywho...
summary of my opinion on the story:
Fun, but not very deep.

gothic_fantasy
05-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Okay this thread may contain some spoilers for X, X-2 and VII.

X-2's storyline was just a mangled mess Square made thinking "how the hell can we calm our screaming fans and just bring freakin' Tidus back for heaven's sake?!"
And thus, X-2 was born. Although they were pretty harsh on Aeris in Advent Children, who was 10 time more mourned than Tidus simply because she was actually a REAL PERSON. She didn't even come back to life, bless her soul. But anyway.
I didn't see the point of X-2. Tidus was a dream, finished! It's even worse the way he's "brought back" at the end. So if him and Yuna break up he'll just fade again. Lovely. What's the point of even existing?
It was just to satisfy the emotions of little Jap teens who went through 10 boxes of tissues at the end of X because their blue-eyed boy was no more.
But it was alright I suppose. A valiant effort on Square's part, considering they'd never made a sequel so they probably didn't have head or tail on how to go about it. And surely we should have known by now that sequels usually suck? Especially in the movies? Lol.

Jaffer
05-26-2007, 08:37 PM
The story in itself is okay, though it is more then one very thin story supported by a crapload of side stories. Anyway, they should have just let us play with at least one boy. One single extra member and this whole game would have been much more liked.

Bashini
06-22-2007, 03:52 AM
For game and plot, I would say it would rate well as a first draft not as a finished product.

As a game, the inconsistent graphics drove me nuts. The constant cheesy music drove me nuts ( although I liked the two songs, I did not want to hear the same style of music over and over and over and over again). The dress spheres were nothing more then several male fantasies slopped together for the lonely gamer. The battle system however, was easy and engrossing. Spherebreak was awesome.

Letting the game drive the story was neat, but the story needed some more development.

Plot: It was nice to see Yuna develop out of her teenage, religious stupor and start to reflect upon her own life. They portray the mindset of someone approaching their twenties very well. Although seeing the ending gives one momentary warm fuzzies, it presents itself as a cop out. A better storyline would have Yuna find someone else or finds contentment within herself. :meditate:

The background of Paine is not fleshed out very well. Neither is the recovery of Spira. A vast political vacuum would have created more problems then what is shown in this candy-coated story.

Annoyance number two, Rikku goes from optimistic to airhead in two years...

Strengths of this game lie its snappy dialog and fun mini games.

Markus. D
06-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Imo the game was quite enjoyable. The gameplay was fun and even though the story lacked the depth and seriousness of X, it was still fine but in a totally diferent fashion. The thing that annoyed me most was the music - how could they dump Nobuo!? (I like 1000 Words though... And this soundtrack, ironically, turned out to be the best Piano Colletions album)

Remixed clippits of Orchestral were the ones I liked :3

Darkja
06-22-2007, 01:19 PM
The only thing I really remember about this game is Brother..
Man that guy was on crack.

hplvr
06-22-2007, 06:50 PM
oh god... dont even get me started with this game.... it has to be the WORST square game this company has ever made. just to get more money off of
now dont get me wrong, i like this game, but it was just too corny and it brings the final fantasy games to a low standard, makes them look like crap, this was one of the first ive played, and after playing it i never wanted to touch another final fantasy in my life!
the story is nothing, just 3 sluts going all over spira doing stuff for people......

The Ceej
07-09-2007, 10:49 AM
There was a storyline?

Well, no. Not really. This game is a collection of side quests set against the background of three leaders of religious factions chasing after a quasi-villain while he tries to steal a weakass piece of machina. I enjoyed the game, but I was disappointed in a few ways. I wanted a story. I wanted Nobuo Uematsu's music (Though Yuna's Theme, the opening song, and 1000 Words were good pieces of music). I wanted a challenge. I guess I'm done getting challenges presented to me in Final Fantasy games.

And most importantly, I wanted to keep the Awesome Sphere.

cloud21zidane16
07-10-2007, 02:02 AM

Feeling put off it yet?:p once youve played any other final fantasy you will see that X-2s story was :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Rostum
07-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Think Charlie's Angels, but longer and more unnecessary.

Timerk
07-10-2007, 02:42 PM
If you would like to hear Yuna moan suggestivly every 5 minutes, then I have the game for you.