PDA

View Full Version : Least favourite books!

Discord
04-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Counterpart of "Favourite books" thread. Exclude cheap literature here.

Lord of the Rings all the way. I hated it from the end of Part 1 (about half way through Book 1, i.e. when they arrive at the village of Bree), which was actually very good.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Fellowship of the Ring was exceedingly boring but I managed to get through it.

I hate Timeline by Micheal Crichton. IT SUCKED HORRIBLY. It was one of those miracle instances where the movie proved better than the book. Seriously, it was way too slow pace.

blim
04-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Weaveworld by (i think Clive Barker), i did not enjoy that at all, and a sci fi by Piers Anthony that i cannot remember the title of.

Tallulah
04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
McNae's Essential Law for Journalists

The bane of my life for three years. I'm surprised I haven't burnt it!

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
04-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Oh god. So many of the books they made me read at school.

Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman stands out the most. God I hated that book. :p

Araciel
04-17-2007, 10:58 PM
life is the crummiest book i ever read; there isn't a hook, just a lot of cheap shots, pictures to shock, and characters an amateur would never dream up.

kikimm
04-18-2007, 04:40 AM
A Tale of Two Cities. My God. I don't understand how anyone could make a bunch of 13-year olds read Charles Dickens. :(

Roto13
04-18-2007, 04:46 AM
Death on the Ice by... I don't remember. It's a stupid book about a bunch of stupid sealers who are too stupid to survive when their boat quits working. They're also too stupid to bring a freaking radio with them. I will forever hate my grade 10 Canadian Literature course for making me read that book. It's actually a true story. That's what you call Natural Selection right there.

Discord
04-18-2007, 04:52 AM
Death on the Ice by... I don't remember. It's a stupid book about a bunch of stupid sealers who are too stupid to survive when their boat quits working. They're also too stupid to bring a freaking radio with them. I will forever hate my grade 10 Canadian Literature course for making me read that book. It's actually a true story. That's what you call Natural Selection right there.

It's probably only half as boring as the "Old Pathegonian Express"... ZZZ... I had to read it for my graduation exams... well, I still haven't finished it.:p

XxSephirothxX
04-18-2007, 04:58 AM
The Two Towers. I loved The Hobbit and found Fellowship pretty enjoyable, but The Two Towers was incredibly slow. Soooo slow. And 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Boring as :skull::skull::skull::skull:.

Ouch!
04-18-2007, 05:05 AM
The Two Towers. I loved The Hobbit and found Fellowship pretty enjoyable, but The Two Towers was incredibly slow. Soooo slow.
That would be when I ditched The Lord of the Rings. Beside, reading a book isn't a whole lot of fun when a friend has already told you everything that happens in explicit detail.

I might catch hell for this, but Wizard's First Rule, the first novel in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is pretty terrible. It makes The Two Towers look engaging and fast-paced. I mean, seriously, the first hundred pages take place over like... three days, describing things in excruciating detail. I mean, I'm all for good imagery, but this book is flippin' ridiculous.

Rengori
04-18-2007, 05:13 AM
Pretty much everything we were forced to read in school sucked.

Zeromus_X
04-18-2007, 05:51 AM
Lord of the Flies by William Golding. It might have some nice subtext and symbolism in it, but it's terribly, terribly boring. Maybe if I wasn't forced to read it in high school, I might have enjoyed it a bit more.

In addition, anything by John Steinbeck also makes my head hurt.

I Took the Red Pill
04-18-2007, 06:02 AM
Gulliver's Travels.

Deborah
04-18-2007, 10:00 AM
I've read so many books! And try to read the classics...But I greatly dislike The Great Gatsby blah dumb love triangles. I hate all books that have dumb endings that disappoint me. One I just read being Diary by Chuck Palahniuk :( his other books are so wonderful why did this one have to fail!

Miriel
04-18-2007, 10:29 AM
The Da Vinci Code.

Discord
04-18-2007, 03:27 PM
...I'll add Digital Fortess, aka Lord of the Rings: Return of the Hackers, (or whatever it's called) to the list.

AND ALICE IN WONDERLAND!:crying: PLEASE NO MORE!

blim
04-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah digital fortress was pretty lame, and the Celestine prophecy by James Radfield, badly written hippy rubbish

Resha
04-18-2007, 05:06 PM
The God of Small Things. The way they spoke about this book you'd have thought it fucking brilliance or something. Maybe I missed that, but I didn't miss the fact that it was depressing as hell. Made me feel like life is a vale of tears. No thanks.

Memoirs of a Geisha. Hated it. Hated all the characters. The story was so Point A to Point B that it was unbelievable. It tried to sound wise and meaningful, and that was the worst part; nothing in there really meant anything to me. Sue me for not being a geisha, but hey, don't try it if you can't do it, Mr. Golden. The end of the book made me feel all :{ because it'd taken me a few hundred pages to read what could have been said in a less pretentious manner in ten.

Saving Fish From Drowing by Amy Tan. It was so awful I couldn't even get beyond the halfway point, and that is a bad, bad thing. I hate it when authors become all pretentious and grandiloquent, using long words and spouting the so-called philosophy of life, trying to get something meaningful out of it. No. Shut up. It's rubbish. This book was a load of tosh.

Feeling sufficiently vindicated now :D But honestly.

scrumpleberry
04-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Jane Eyre. Forced to read it in year 8, had it overanalysed to the point of insanity. :(

Or maybe Sophie's World. A nice concept, but SO SO BORING. Highly overrated, imo.

BizarroSephiroth
04-29-2007, 05:12 AM
You'll never imagine it, but To Kill A Mockingbird bored me to oblivion. The use of the word "nigger" was amazingly constant. It was quite a disappointing book to someone who looked towards it to be a fascinating adventure.

Odaisé Gaelach
04-29-2007, 05:30 AM
Oh, errm...

Tarka the Otter - An actual plot would've been nice...
Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland - No. Just... no.
The Body (Fall from Innocence) - Right Mr. King, try and finish the main story first before you plunge us into a different story altogether thereby causing me to get confused and completely lose interest in what I'm sure is a great story because I've seen that film and liked it quite a lot actually.

EDIT:

You'll never imagine it, but To Kill A Mockingbird bored me to oblivion. The use of the word "nigger" was amazingly constant.

Well, it was set in the America Deep South in the 1930s. :)

Marshall Banana
04-29-2007, 05:54 AM
I hate The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I didn't actually read through it, but every quiz, every discussion, every reading, and nearly every essay in my composi<b></b>tion class this semester has been about it and Mark Twain. I've been pulling my hair out.

DarkLadyNyara
04-29-2007, 07:23 AM
Pretty much everything we were forced to read in school sucked.

Seconded. The Narative of Sojurner Truth topped the list for me, though. Most sucky books I don't read past the first chapter, so I actually can't think of any others at the moment. I'll post them when the repression fails.

Nominus Experse
04-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Catcher in the Rye and My Antonia were quite agonizing for me to read.

Rase
04-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Gulliver's Travels.
Hell yes.

Let's see, what else? Great Expectations, Beloved, Heart of Darkness... I think I'll stop there before I start thinking about these again.

Kirobaito
04-29-2007, 08:06 AM
The Scarlet Letter. Hawthorne is so awful.

Resha
04-29-2007, 02:41 PM

Oh my god I am reading that now I feel sad at having to get past the introductory. ;___;

fire_of_avalon
04-29-2007, 03:20 PM

Most of you in here I feel like beating with a cane, but for KB you ain't freaking kidding.

ReshaRoo, you will get more story out of the sparknotes.com version of this.

Sergeant Hartman
04-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Of Mice and Men was an alright book in school, but after we analysed the hell out of it, it got kinda boring.

kikimm
05-02-2007, 01:04 AM
One I just read being Diary by Chuck Palahniuk :( his other books are so wonderful why did this one have to fail!

I read that. It started off being so good and cool and then it just turned into this horribly tedious mess. Ugh.

Also, I forgot--Tess of the D'Urbervilles was absolutely terrible. It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so long...maybe. I really couldn't stand Tess. Pathetic, not tragic and heroic. >=(

Shiny
05-02-2007, 01:46 AM
Agreed. All the story is about is about is a ho who got knocked up and the daddy isn't admitting to it because he's a sleaze. This book is basically a dulled down, written version of Jerry Springer; which is equally crappy.

The Great Gatsby was pretty bad in terms of storyline and characters. The writing by Fitzgerald was ofcourse phenomenal, but other then that there wasn't much to this. I saw it as a pointless portrayal of a bunch of Paris Hiltons running around being arrogant and rich. Everyone cheated on everybody. Yet, as a middle-class reader you can't relate, or sympathize will any of the characters. Acutally, the only character that is of any importance is Gatsby himself because he is used for the moral of the story.

Then there's Of Mice and Men. Of Mice and Men was great all the way up to the end. I won't ruin it, but I didn't like the action Lenny decided. There were several ways of handling that situation and he could have made another choice. It pretty much ruined the whole book for me.

EDIT: Oh, and A Thousand Acres was crap too. Another story about another ho cheating on her husband.

I Took the Red Pill
05-02-2007, 02:46 AM
Then there's Of Mice and Men. Of Mice and Men was great all the way up to the end. I won't ruin it, but I didn't like the action Lenny decided. There were several ways of handling that situation and he could have made another choice. It pretty much ruined the whole book for me.I always thought the ending was what made it so beautful, a masterpiece. Which is why it's in my top 5 favorite books evar.