PDA

View Full Version : Archiving files

ShunNakamura
04-18-2007, 06:19 AM
<span style="color:#FFCCFF">
All right I'll admit I am a archiving noob.

Anyways I am trying to archive a bunch of animes and iso's that I have on my computer so that the cd backups aren't as numerous(400GBs is a LOT of CD's). The problem I am having is that 7-zip and WinRAR don't seem to compress them very well(I have tried various options, though I'll admit I have not tried all of them); a 1.18 GB set of video files was reduced to 900~MB. To make matters worse I am having a hard time googling for 'ideal' options for compressing said files.

So if someone wouldn't mind explaining it to me I would be much obliged.

Anyways currently I have been told that WinACE does good video compression so I am giving it a go right now.
</span>

Endless
04-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Your videos, most likely in divx/xvid/h.264 (and the equivalents for the sound) are already heavily compressed, which is why no archiver can make things significantly better than what you managed.

Rostum
04-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Any chance of getting a DVD burner? Or perhaps a USB hard drive that you can store all your stuff on (that way, you can take it around with you, as they aren't that big or heavy).

Discord
04-18-2007, 02:01 PM
You can't efficiently comress videos. Most of the time it would actually make the file larger.

Flying Mullet
04-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Just to add onto what the other people have said, the amount a file can be compressed depends upon what type of file it is, not what compressor/archiver program you use to compress the file.

rubah
04-18-2007, 09:47 PM
buy a tape drive