PDA

View Full Version : Ma'am or Miss?

Christmas
04-18-2007, 05:10 PM
That was this new guy that was newly posted as my underling and he address me as Ma'am whenever he sees me although I told him to address me by my name instead. :choc2:

My friend told me it sound so old to be address as Ma'am instead of Miss. I thought it is some kind of respect or something but what do everyone think? :bigsmile:

Araciel
04-18-2007, 05:16 PM
ma'am is madam...my lady...meaning someone you respect as a lady.

miss is commonly used as a title to address a woman who isn't married, regardless of age.

oddler
04-18-2007, 05:16 PM
I interchange them (when I use them, which is hardly ever) but I think Ma'am is probably a little more formal. Some women may consider being called Miss to be degrading. :eep:

Can I ask who the "holy one" is before I vote?

Polaris
04-18-2007, 05:19 PM
yes even though I love when owen calls me lady... I'm still a miss! And My english teacher told me that we do it a lot here in conferences we always put mrs. or Miss before the name of the person who will speak adn once a foreign woman who was going to participate in the conference found it really stupid!

Reles
04-18-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm not a "ma'am," I am a miss. In certain situations you have to be careful with being formal. After learning French and Italian. It's the same in those languages. DO NOT call a younger woman in Italian signora, she will probably get really offended. But it means lady, pretty much close to saying "ma'am." Still, to a 30 year old woman it's a bit degrading. Miss just makes you sound so much younger for some reason. But if they're married, then Mrs. ftw.

bipper
04-18-2007, 05:48 PM
procreate

Anaisa
04-18-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't like Ma'am or Miss. It's better to be called by your name. I think the whole Miss Mrs thing should be abolished anyway. Men are just Mr, but women should broadcast whether they're married or not. Silly.

Meat Puppet
04-18-2007, 09:59 PM
I only say ma’am when I’m joking around, Eyes on Final Fantasy.

Tavrobel
04-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Men are just Mr, but women should broadcast whether they're married or not. Silly.

Males also have the option of being called "Master" when young or unmarried.

~*~Celes~*~
04-18-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm called Miss Ann by my mom when I'm in trouble or when she just wants my attention.

Ann is my middle name

Cipher
04-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Military background and all (i.e., military school, various military programs, ROTC), there was a time when people just called me by my last name or my alternate nickname, Corporal Clay (just because it had a ring to it... so people jokingly called me Corporal Clay long after I got promoted). Now that I'm in college though, it's changed to Miss Clay more often than not... and to be honest, I like it far better than Miss Nicole, which sounds slightly condescending to me.

But I'm all for using Miss or Ma'am, for obvious reasons. :)

Vyk
04-18-2007, 10:53 PM
I want to be your MISStress

kikimm
04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm okay with miss, but I hate ma'am.

Evastio
04-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Ma'am should be for female elders and Miss should be for anyone female that isn't that old.

Renmiri
04-19-2007, 01:13 AM
I would love to be called Miss as Ma'am makes feel as old as dirt.

Alas, I'm married so Ma'am it is

Dr. Acula
04-19-2007, 01:22 AM
I call all of my female teachers Miss, regardless of whether they're married or not, just as I call all of my male teachers Sir.

I prefer people to call me by name, but if they insist on adressing me formally I'd prefer Miss. Or my lady.:D

Roto13
04-19-2007, 01:34 AM
If I know someone isn't married, I call them "miss." If I don't know or they are married, they're "ma'am." I almost never use either of them, though.

escobert
04-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Ma'am I guess :p

Leen-Leen
04-19-2007, 01:54 AM
I call all of my female teachers Miss, regardless of whether they're married or not, just as I call all of my male teachers Sir.

Same here. I think Miss is better, though. It doesn't sound as ... old ...

Moon Rabbits
04-19-2007, 03:45 AM
I refer to my teachers and friends' parents as sir and miss.

Ouch!
04-19-2007, 04:17 AM
I don't really see the two as interchangable.

Let's take my Human Biology teacher, for example. She introduced herself as Miss Adams, so that is how I addess her. When I need to get her attention, I say, "Excuse me, Miss Adams," or some variation of that. When I respond, I say, "Yes, ma'am," "No, ma'am," etc.

I cannot say I know very many other people who respond that way, and I'm starting to lose the habbit, too. It's just something that was beat into my head during the year I lived in Texas. They were big on treating authoritative figures with proper respect. God help you if you simply said, "No," to answer a teacher.

rubah
04-19-2007, 04:25 AM
I feel really young adult when small children call me Miss Allison

Agent Proto
04-20-2007, 04:44 AM
I use both. :3 Depending on the age of the lady I am speaking to. Though, mostly ma'am.

Yuffie514
04-20-2007, 05:48 AM
ma'am sounds too old. i prefer miss.

Markus. D
04-20-2007, 06:02 AM
ma'am~

people don't like it when I call them that ;_;

so anyways

I chose all of them so I could build up a combo for extra damage :33