PDA

View Full Version : What.... ... ! -WHAT?!- *grabs paperbag to breathe in*

Avarice-ness
04-18-2007, 11:42 PM
I keep on coming onto experiences that just put me in Ultra shock mode. Most of these shocks are due to someone not knowing a band that I asume is well known.

For example, one of my bestest friends ever was like "Huh who's Depeche Mode" and I was like "................... *brain stops functioning*"

and then like two days later someone goes "NiN?" and I was all ".... *frown* ASDFGHJKLJHGFDSADFGHJK I don't understand" "Oh wait do they sing that "Hand that feeds" song. I have that one" "*cries in corner*"

So when was the last time you had someone be oblivious to what you thought was a well known band? Also, what bands do you like that seem to get the "I've never heard of them" reaction the most? :razz:

edczxcvbnm
04-18-2007, 11:44 PM
I don't really listen to music so I am the person that goes "who?" to like every new band formed past 1999. Then there are tons of bands like Depeche Mode that I have only heard of. I don't actually know more than the name.

*is music illiterate*

Flying Mullet
04-18-2007, 11:46 PM
For example, one of my bestest friends ever was like "Huh who's Depeche Mode" and I was like "................... *brain stops functioning*"
One of my friends used to listen to Depeche Mode and I would aggravate them on purpose by calling it "Duh-Peachy Mode".

Avarice-ness
04-18-2007, 11:48 PM
One of my friends used to listen to Depeche Mode and I would aggravate them on purpose by calling it "Duh-Peachy Mode".

If it wasn't for your irrational ammount of awesomesauce, I'd so go crazy at you. :razz:

Momiji
04-19-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm used to comments like that. It still shocks me when people say 'Who is From First to Last?' or 'Who is Reggie And the Full Effect?', but it's not as surprising since a lot of music I listen to is more not-mainstreamish. I would be stunned if someone hadn't heard of Depeche Mode (who I haven't really listened to, honestly, so I don't know if I like them or not), or NiN. Seriously, who hasn't heard of those two bands?!

Shoeberto
04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
I don't listen to much pop radio or watch the Music Television, so I'm often pretty out of it when it comes to the hits on those (unless it's talked about online).

I don't think I've ever really had someone say they didn't know a band that wasn't absolutely shocking to me, though. I'd imagine if they hadn't, I'd just nonchalantly go "Really? X was their big hit a while ago."

Araciel
04-19-2007, 04:58 AM
sometimes...but i try not to let it bug me, people don't know things i know, and i don't know things other people know. these days depeche mode isn't exactly in the forefront, and a lot of people only listen to what's on mainstream radio stations.

that being said, one person who is 20 doesn't know who the beatles are..i was floored at that

Proxy
04-19-2007, 05:54 AM
If you don't know bands like The Beatles, or Led Zepplin, or Pink Floyd, Elvis, etc, then there is really, really something wrong with you. Like, really, really wrong.
Bands like From First to Last, and He Is Legend, and Greeley Estates, etc, and not being known isn't that uncommon. I actually had to introduce FFTL to alot of people.
But Depeche Mode, i mean, who hasn't heard of them...really.

Araciel
04-19-2007, 05:56 AM
If you don't know bands like The Beatles, or Led Zepplin, or Pink Floyd, Elvis, etc, then there is really, really something wrong with you. Like, really, really wrong.
Bands like From First to Last, and He Is Legend, and Greeley Estates, etc, and not being known isn't that uncommon. I actually had to introduce FFTL to alot of people.
But Depeche Mode, i mean, who hasn't heard of them...really.

i would guess more than half the people on this site haven't heard of depeche mode.

Renmiri
04-19-2007, 06:16 AM
Heh.. I'm older and I've heard of NiN and Depeche Mode. What do those guys listen to ? Britney Spears ?

XxSephirothxX
04-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Considering how many famous bands there are out there, across so many genres, it's really not that surprising when someone hasn't heard of one, unless it's something like The Beatles or Led Zeppelin--bands that have been incredibly famous and popular for decades. The biggest moment I've ever had like that didn't exactly deal with a band. I knew a guy in high school who, my friends and I were shocked to discover, had no idea who William Shatner was. Had never even heard of him. We ragged him about that for years.

Wolf Kanno
04-19-2007, 08:15 AM
This happens to me all the time... I hate the whiny HS kids I work with. They don't know anything. Something is seriously wrong if you don't know who Elton John, Elvis (can you believe it? Someone at my job has never heard of Elvis:eek: ) Duran Duran, Run DMC, David Bowie, and even U2!

I'm not even that vastly older than any of them! Like a 6 year difference at most... They can barely tell me who Celine Dion is.

Of course the times these happen that really bother me is when I start talking anime or video games... "What do you mean you've never heard of Tenchi Muyo!?"...

Ishin Ookami
04-19-2007, 11:55 AM
This happens to me all the time... I hate the whiny HS kids I work with. They don't know anything. Something is seriously wrong if you don't know who Elton John, Elvis (can you believe it? Someone at my job has never heard of Elvis:eek: ) Duran Duran, Run DMC, David Bowie, and even U2!

I'm not even that vastly older than any of them! Like a 6 year difference at most... They can barely tell me who Celine Dion is.

Of course the times these happen that really bother me is when I start talking anime or video games... "What do you mean you've never heard of Tenchi Muyo!?"...

I was once halfway tempted to break a chair over some kids head at work cuz he preferred Blink 182 to Bon Jovi and prince. Sure behavior like that is often discouraged round the office... but I was pretty sure considering the insult, the office managers would have joined me in the lynching.

But yah, thats how you know that your generation is no longer as young as it used to be. When the next gen just doesn't get great music cuz it was before their time. And I swear sometimes I'm tempted to go into the hitman business whenever some kid knocks on sinatra. I mean thats gotta be a capital offence in some countries right?

bipper
04-19-2007, 02:51 PM

Everybody knows who Douche Mode is. I see a lot of people not knowing who Breaking Benjamin is, or some old greats like STP, Nirvana, Van Halen, etc. It urkes me, greatly

blim
04-19-2007, 07:43 PM
About 10 years ago at college the tutor referred to "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" and i was the only one who knew the song. I also have met people who have never heard of Bob Dylan. Less obvious but still surprising was a young metaller who had heard of neither Ministry, Primus or the Dead Kennedys.

That said a lot of the bands i listen to are not that well known (i.e. Crass, Gong, Chaotic Dischord, Van der Graaf Generator and the prog rock band called Iron Maiden) I was very surprised when my sisters boyfriend had not heard of that Maiden as he collects old prog rock vinyland knows far more about it than me.

BarelySeeAtAll
04-19-2007, 10:27 PM
within temptation (oh ya, loads dont have a clue)
er...there was one a few days ago, err...DEEP PURPLE
i almost stopped breathing but i just had ta reind them of smoke on the water and theeeeeeeeeen they knew....oh they knew..

Sephex
04-19-2007, 10:33 PM
I try not to let it bother me. The people now who listen to popular music will get pissed at future generations for not knowing what they listened to. I mean, with out research, we don't exactly know what was truly popular back in the 30's, 40's, and 50's (yeah, yeah...Elvis) or something. Not a big deal to me.

Instead of getting pissed when someone doesn't know of a band I like, I take a little time to tell them about the band and ask them what type of music they like so I can tell if they would like it or not. If I think they would seem to like whatever band is in question, I would suggest they give it a shot or I would put it on if the option was availiable.

Zeldy
04-20-2007, 09:43 PM
"Tu..pac? what's that? Is there a Three-pack, and a four? Is it an album, or something?"

I loled. Ive never listened to Tupac myself, but STILL xD
She also had no idea what G unit was, and thought 50 cent was a band.

Most of my music most of you will never have heard of. At school, I'll wear a hoodie with 'PMMP' on it, its a popular Finnish band and I got the jacket imported. Everyone calls me a "Pimp" and not one person in my school know who they are. It makes me feel quite special ;]
Nearly all of my music has that response, people will scroll through my Ipod and then be like "..what"

I'm used to comments like that. It still shocks me when people say 'Who is From First to Last?' or 'Who is Reggie And the Full Effect?', but it's not as surprising since a lot of music I listen to is more not-mainstreamish. I would be stunned if someone hadn't heard of Depeche Mode (who I haven't really listened to, honestly, so I don't know if I like them or not), or NiN. Seriously, who hasn't heard of those two bands?!
and oh cause' From First to Last arnt Mainstream at all, no? haha.

Mirage
04-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Pft, I don't get surprised at all when Average Joe hasn't heard of my non-mainstream band. Low expectations makes for more positive surprises.

Mythra
04-21-2007, 02:45 AM
Worst experience with this was when I was wearing a Pink Floyd shirt to school with the Dark Side of the Moon logo in the front. This kid in my history class of coursed asked, "Pink Floyd?? Whose that???" Another time I was listening to Led Zeppelin rather loud and someone heard it and didn't know who they were either. Needless to say I cried myself to sleep those nights.

Momiji
04-21-2007, 02:49 AM
"Tu..pac? what's that? Is there a Three-pack, and a four? Is it an album, or something?"

I loled. Ive never listened to Tupac myself, but STILL xD
She also had no idea what G unit was, and thought 50 cent was a band.

Most of my music most of you will never have heard of. At school, I'll wear a hoodie with 'PMMP' on it, its a popular Finnish band and I got the jacket imported. Everyone calls me a "Pimp" and not one person in my school know who they are. It makes me feel quite special ;]
Nearly all of my music has that response, people will scroll through my Ipod and then be like "..what"

and oh cause' From First to Last arnt Mainstream at all, no? haha.

Well, they weren't a year ago. You know, when they were good.

dance of the infinity
04-21-2007, 03:13 AM
wait...they haven't heard of Depeche Mode? :( deprived. they (and you guys, too) should download Personal Jesus. not the one by Marilyn Manson, it gets stupid after too many plays. the one by Lollipop Lust Kill is okay. but download. my dance class is bringing back a dance to the original DM version, so i'm super pumped up for it! it's so cool!! :love:

oh, and nobody i know has heard of Assemblage 23, In Strict Confidence, or Decoded Feedback. granted, they are techno artists, but the songs are cool. maybe they're popular overseas and i'm not aware of it...

Rostum
04-21-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't really know why you'd be shocked if someone hasn't heard a lot of the non-mainstream music that you listen to. There's so many artists and bands along with different genres; all in different countries.

I would never really act shocked or surprised if someone hasn't heard bands and artists that I like, such as Jeff Buckley, Augie March, The Shins, Mick Hart, John Butler Trio, (old) Alex Lloyd for some examples. Granted one of those is pretty much my Elvis (Jeff Buckley); that wouldn't mean that other people have to have known about him or I'd "break a chair over their head" or whatever you crazy forum goers do.

It really depends what music people are into. If they are into one or two types of music, then chances are they won't know much about a totally different genre. But things like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, David Bowie, Elvis and other extremely famous world-wide bands and artist, are something that everyone should know about.

El Bandito
04-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Is is so hard to believe that people can not hear of bands they're not really interested in? Chuck Berry had more of an influence on rock 'n roll than any other artist, and I bet you I'd be lucky if I could get 50% of the population under 30 to name 2 of his songs.

I don't see why artists like the Beatles, Zeppelin, Floyd, etc. have such a holier than thou air to them. My dad doesn't know any Beatles songs other than "Let it Be" because he didn't listen to rock back then or now. Yet if you asked him what his favorite James Brown or Little Richard songs are he could list at least 15 for each. I swear some classic rock fans are getting worse than hipsters.