PDA

View Full Version : Instant Ramen Inventor Dies at Age 96

Diango12
04-20-2007, 06:25 AM
Momofuku Ando, the founder-chairman of Nissin Food Products Co, who was widely known as the inventor of instant noodles, died of a heart failure this evening at a hospital in Ikeda, Osaka Prefecture, his family said. He was 96.

Born on March 5, 1910 in Taiwan, Ando initially ran clothing companies in Taipei and Osaka while he was a student at Ritsumeikan University. In 1948, he founded the precursor of Nissin, before introducing Chicken Ramen, the world's first instant noodle product, in 1958.

Ando was inspired to develop the instant noodle after coming upon a long line of people on a cold night shortly after World War II waiting to buy freshly made ramen at a black market food stall, according to Nissin. The experience convinced him that "Peace will come to the world when the people have enough to eat," it said.

In 1971, Nissin introduced the Cup Noodle, instant noodles in a waterproof styrofoam container that could be used to cook the noodles, ahead of his competitors.

Dubbed the Ramen King, Ando is credited with expanding Nissin into the No.1 company in the industry and was well-known for his dedication to his job.

Kei Kizugawa, head of the Kamigata Geino journal, said Ando was a great food product inventor whose accomplishment equals that of Konosuke Matsushi'ta, the founder of Matsushi'ta Electric Industrial Co. and known in Japan as the Father of Consumer Electronics.

"I believe generation after generation will talk about Chicken Ramen. I don't think there will ever be an instant noodle product that beats the taste of Chicken Ramen," Kizugawa said.

Ando became a chairman after handing over the presidency in 1981 to his eldest son, but came to double as the president again two years later after having a conflict over the company's policy, including development of new products.

In 1999, Ando opened the Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum in Ikeda after posting his second son, Koki, as the president.

Ando retired from chairman's post in June 2005 to serve as founder-chairman.

In July 2005, Nissin introduced a vacuum packed instant noodle specially designed for Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi to eat during the US space shuttle Discovery's mission.

Showcasing his Space Ram noodles in front of reporters, Ando said: "I'm happy I've realised my dream that noodles can go into space."

Kyodo

News article (http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/instant-noodle-inventor-dies-at-96/2007/01/06/1167777312340.html)

So what were your experiences with Instant Ramen?

And yes I am sad Ando has died, he lived a long life and I'm sure he was happy.

Ouch!
04-20-2007, 06:42 AM
Dude, this happened months ago. I didn't even know there was a ramn guy until I saw his obit.

Ramen rocks, by the way.

Diango12
04-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Yeah I know thats why the topic is:

Still I just found out, no surprise I'm usually late with news.

Vyk
04-20-2007, 06:48 AM
I will eat ramen to honor his tummy. Er I mean to fill my memory... I'm hungry

Diango12
04-20-2007, 06:52 AM
^ xD I guess a better question would be what is your favorite Ramen, there are all kinds for example mine happens to be the shrimp. ~Mmm is enjoying shrimp noodles

Vyk
04-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Picante chicken! Oh my gawd. Its so hard to find sometimes. My mom used to get me creamy chicken. Geh that's so nasty. And thick. I like the spicey stuff. Haven't had it in so long. Regular chicken I guess is my favorite of the generic flavors. Always wind up with beef though... somehow...

Diango12
04-20-2007, 07:14 AM
>_< I once had creamy chicken and couldn't stop squinting my eyes. I threw away the whole package of 25 something creamy noodles. Yuck!

sockmonkey
04-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Darn it, now I'm hungry for ramen and I have none!

Tifa Valentine
04-20-2007, 07:51 AM
They're not the greatest and they're not exactly healthy for you but they are very convenient. Saved me a lot of time when I was hungry but in a rush.

Yuffie514
04-20-2007, 07:53 AM
do you mean the Instant Ramen brand or just any type? i like ramen from Nissin and Maruchan.

Gabranth
04-20-2007, 08:14 AM
he ODed on ramen. rip, nissin man....rip.

blackmage_nuke
04-20-2007, 09:17 AM
I've been eating 'ramen' since i was really young (before I watched Naruto) and when i watched that show i wanted to try ramen until i realsied i had been eating it all my life but at our house it was always called 'gung zai min'

I like all flavours and like to add meat too

Jess
04-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Why have I never seen or eaten Ramen? Super Noodles ftw!

ReloadPsi
04-20-2007, 12:52 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Why did this have to happen? Why? Gods are supposed to be immortal!

Oh wait, he was human? Wow, and I always thought of instant noodles as a gift from the heavens :P

Why have I never seen or eaten Ramen? Super Noodles ftw!

Super Noodles ARE ramen, just with a different name. I find ramen to be a more American term anyway.

Chakan the forever man
04-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Ramen noodles leave me severly constipated.

Peegee
04-20-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm going to join the horde and say this is old news.

With that said, I still eat ramen. Yum!

ps: I can't find the giant giant cosplay thread with a naruto eating ramen pic to post here >:(

Does somebody know what I'm talking about? It's on either a scanlation or a fansub forum, and is like 40-50 pages long.

Cloudane
04-20-2007, 04:14 PM
I wonder how many people had even heard of Ramen before Naruto suddenly became popular :D

I'd kind of heard of it I think but didn't know what it was.

Never tried it, unless Super Noodles really are similar in which case yeah they are the food of the gods. Only ever had Super Noodles plain and as a side with something else though, will have to try it 'wet' with egg and barbecue pork thrown in next XD

starseeker
04-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Super noodles have saved me from hunger or a long walk on many lunchtimes.
I actually had to do a translation exercise on instant ramen, and who invented them, for Japanese last week so it was very ironic.

Tavrobel
04-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Ramen rocks, by the way.

Agrias
04-20-2007, 10:46 PM
i've never had ramen O_O

only kimchi! xD

oddler
04-20-2007, 10:48 PM
I wonder how many people had even heard of Ramen before Naruto suddenly became popular :D

What's Naruto? :p

escobert
04-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Chicken Ramen is awesome.

Diango12
04-20-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm going to join the horde and say this is old news.

I never considered 'ouch' consisiting of more then a single indvidual so I have to disagree with the horde remark :p not to mention I already stated the topic and that the news article was just there to pay respect.

In any case I didn't find that picture~ and I know what your talking about. This one though is just as cute ^^

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Ty_Mac/Naruto/NarutoRaman.jpg

yanis
04-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Today I ate noodles with chicken...I don't know about instant and super, my mum made them...So I was eating ramen all this time too:confused:

Cloudane
04-21-2007, 01:22 AM

An extremely popular anime about fake ninjas...

Wait, I'm sure you're kidding :p

kikimm
04-21-2007, 01:29 AM
I do like ramen, but I try not to eat it too much. I had it a ton when I was a kid. My dad would always get on my case for eating it cause it has MSG.

oddler
04-21-2007, 01:30 AM

An extremely popular anime about fake ninjas...

Wait, I'm sure you're kidding :p

Nope. Definitely not kidding. :(

But ramen is super.

The Unknown Guru
04-21-2007, 01:34 AM
Every time you eat ramen do six sit-ups!

Props to whoever knows what that quote is from.

In addition, ramen rules.

DK
04-21-2007, 03:21 AM
Super Noodles are disgusting. :barf:

I mostly eat the random azn instant noodles my Dad gets me from whatever chinese store he decides to visit on that particular day. :monster:

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Anything that resembles a tapeworm is disgusting

black orb
04-24-2007, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE]
Ando was inspired to develop the instant noodle after coming upon a long line of people on a cold night shortly after World War II waiting to buy freshly made ramen at a black market food stall, according to Nissin. The experience convinced him that "Peace will come to the world when the people have enough to eat," it said.
>>> This ramen guy is my hero.

Cloudane
05-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't think it's classed as 'ramen' but just had the cheapest lunch ever...

Tesco value instant noodles (bacon flavour) - pour boiling water on, zap in the microwave for a couple of minutes.

8p :eek: (translates to about US$0.20...)

Not too bad either!