PDA

View Full Version : Impressive? Not.

Proxy
04-23-2007, 04:51 AM
So far, the only impressive thing I've seen, is the graphics.
Thats about it.
And I own all of the Final Fantasy games 1-12.
And I'm probably not going to buy this game.
It doesn't look as though it's gonna hold up to Final Fantasy series. Something about you know, haveing like 3 or 4 seperate games to complete owning 13 itself just seems like Squee is focusing on profit, and not game quality.
Or am I the only one who thinks that?
From what I've seen, it's gonna be very disappointing.
I'm calling another game that is based on graphics only and has no story or plot at all. *coughfinalfantasyxiicough*

Marshall Banana
04-23-2007, 05:31 AM
You might as well spit on games I-III, too, in this case. I don't remember that any of them had a compelling story.

Dr. Acula
04-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I dunno... I reckon you should give it a chance. There's not that much info out about it just yet.

Setzer Gabianni
04-23-2007, 10:30 AM
It looks nice, but tbh, I haven't seen anything else tantalizing yet.

Pete for President
04-23-2007, 01:05 PM
There's one thing I read about FF Versus XIII that makes me think I'll find versus way more interesting than FF XIII. They say it will be one of the most tragic and dark stories in the series. Just FF XIII... doesn't really seem to appeal to me.

Proxy
04-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Oh I'm going to give it a chance, and even though I have heard good things about Versus, I just don't know...I'm still gonna play atleast Versus. But...I just can't shake the feeling that something is not right with Final Fantasy now.

Slothy
04-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Something about you know, haveing like 3 or 4 seperate games to complete owning 13 itself just seems like Squee is focusing on profit, and not game quality.

For starters, Square is one of the few companies who could undertake a project of this size and still make sure all of the games are quality titles. Second, it's been stated that although they take place in the same or connected worlds, the games themselves aren't interrelated, so you won't have to buy them all.

Roto13
04-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Something about you know, haveing like 3 or 4 seperate games to complete owning 13 itself just seems like Squee is focusing on profit, and not game quality.

For starters, Square is one of the few companies who could undertake a project of this size and still make sure all of the games are quality titles.

Because they have a wonderful track record of that with FF X-2 and FF VII: DoC.

Slothy
04-24-2007, 12:07 AM

For starters, Square is one of the few companies who could undertake a project of this size and still make sure all of the games are quality titles.

The only weak part of FFX-2 was the story, and that comes down to personal tastes and opinions (I don't think the main story was all that bad, it was mainly the sidequests that blew chunks). And if anyone is surprised the Japanese couldn't make a third person shooter that's beter than average (at best) they haven't played a Japanese shooter before.

I'm mainly referring to hem having the resources to pull off a project this size without quality suffering due to inadequate attention, funding, or human resources.

Roto13
04-24-2007, 01:31 AM
And if anyone is surprised the Japanese couldn't make a third person shooter that's beter than average (at best) they haven't played a Japanese shooter before.

Resident Evil 4?

Dragonface
04-24-2007, 02:53 AM
And if anyone is surprised the Japanese couldn't make a third person shooter that's beter than average (at best) they haven't played a Japanese shooter before.

Resident Evil 4?

Square-enix don't own RE4! Come on everyone! Square are making the plots for FFXIII as we speak, they're just testing combat moves before they start with the story lines (ie in a random battle, NOT the BOSS BATTLE for 'testing combat'). Same goes for FFXIIIVersie

Moon Rabbits
04-24-2007, 03:38 AM
You might as well spit on games I-III, too, in this case. I don't remember that any of them had a compelling story.

The floating continent in FFIII didn't blow your mind!?!~

Marshall Banana
04-24-2007, 04:22 AM
The cuteness of Onion Knight sprites sure did. =O

Roto13
04-24-2007, 04:35 AM

Resident Evil 4?

Square-enix don't own RE4! Come on everyone! Square are making the plots for FFXIII as we speak, they're just testing combat moves before they start with the story lines (ie in a random battle, NOT the BOSS BATTLE for 'testing combat'). Same goes for FFXIIIVersie

What are you talking about?

Zeromus_X
04-24-2007, 04:44 AM
Do we even know enough about the game's mechanics and overall storyline to be making judgements at all so far?

Setzer Gabianni
04-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Not really, but I know a bit about the storyline. All I know is that what I have found out and seen so far doesn't make me like..have a FinalFantasygasm.

Slothy
04-24-2007, 02:00 PM

Resident Evil 4?

RE4 was heavily flawed. The same bad control of the earlier games, an aiming system that barely worked (the laser sight only shows up on enemies. Might not be a problem if it it was always centered on the screen but it wasn't. I can't tell you how many times I had to wait for enemies to get closer to me simply because I couldn't even figure out where the laser was pointing), repetitive and just plain boring enemies that come in endless wave after endless wave. Not to mention one of the worst stories I've ever seen. It was fun for the first couple of hours, but it was almost unbearable for the last 15. I kept playing to see if it got any better; it didn't.

Maybe you enjoyed mindlessly blowing up noggin after noggin against a nice shiny graphical backdrop, but some of us need a little more variety in their games, especially when they're so ungodly long.

Regardless, I have higher hopes for Square to pull off a great RPG. Only time will tell, but I do believe they have a lot of experience in this area.

The black mage
04-24-2007, 06:34 PM
The main thing of FF is the story lines.

Exzactly the programers would test the combat system whele the writers made the plot.

Roto13
04-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Maybe you enjoyed mindlessly blowing up noggin after noggin against a nice shiny graphical backdrop,

Or maybe it was one of the most popular games among gamers and critics of the last console generation.

Japan is perfectly capable of making good shooters. Squenix just made a bad game.

Moon Rabbits
04-24-2007, 10:05 PM
The cuteness of Onion Knight sprites sure did. =O

:love:

Slothy
04-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Maybe you enjoyed mindlessly blowing up noggin after noggin against a nice shiny graphical backdrop,

Or maybe it was one of the most popular games among gamers and critics of the last console generation.

Japan is perfectly capable of making good shooters. Squenix just made a bad game.

North American style shooters aren't that popular in Japan, so good ones from that side of the pacific are rare. Ever notice the best ones are usually from the west?

And I'm aware that RE4 was very popular and critically acclaimed; doesn't mean it wasn't flawed in all of the ways I mentioned. There are much better shooters out there (though I'm not sure I'd even call it a shooter. A bit slow paced in the action department thanks to the gimped controls for that).

Markus. D
04-25-2007, 02:17 AM

they like to try new things.

experimenting is what makes gaming hot imho.

Roto13
04-25-2007, 02:48 AM

North American style shooters aren't that popular in Japan, so good ones from that side of the pacific are rare. Ever notice the best ones are usually from the west?

And I'm aware that RE4 was very popular and critically acclaimed; doesn't mean it wasn't flawed in all of the ways I mentioned. There are much better shooters out there (though I'm not sure I'd even call it a shooter. A bit slow paced in the action department thanks to the gimped controls for that).
In your opinion, anyway. That's fine. You don't have to like it. But you not liking it doesn't mean it's not one of the best games ever made (and still a shooter).

Wolf Kanno
04-25-2007, 09:13 AM
I can't say I'm impressed... Graphically maybe but I really don't give a damn about graphics:rolleyes2

My problem is that the story details I hear have me interested (at least for the main game) but everytime they release screenshots or info about certain game mechanics (*In the voice of the Monarch* MECHA SHIVA!?) I get a tingling sensation that tells me I'm looking at something that is pretty shallow and more about glitz and glamor than being an actual game.

I don't like the team that's working on it, as I've never cared for any of their games a whole lot. I'm in a wait and see approach but I'm choosing to be my usual pessimistic and skeptical self rather than jump on the "It looks AWSOME! It must be the best!" bandwagon. Just because it's an FF doesn't mean it's a good game.

Rostum
04-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Yeah, let's just judge a game before any real information has been given out, let alone the game being released. -_-;

I don't think anyone really knows enough, considering the only thing we've been given are a few ideas and character names, and some flashy graphics. You can not judge this game by what Final Fantasy XII was like (isn't it a different team, anyways?), and if you do then you are just foolish.

And eh, I'm open to the idea of Shiva turning into a motorbike. Should be interesting if they manage to implement it well enough, as well as the more futuristic setting. Because to be honest, if they kept doing the same thing over again, especially with the summons, then it just gets really old and same-old-same-old.

I think Versus will be interesting too, depending on if you are into the whole Tetsuya Nomura style of RPG's (which I actually don't mind).

Edit: By the way, who says they won't be quality games just because there will be a few of them? Because it's not the same team working on every single one, they have many teams. >.>; The statement that was made regarding this just makes the poster look like he doesn't have a clue what he's on about.

Savannah
04-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Thats about it.

That's hilarious, considering the graphics are the only thing you've seen at this point.

Fynn
04-28-2007, 09:39 PM
You've gotta have at least a little hope. You can't judge a game that doesn't even have an actual release date yet! You need to give the game a shot - otherwise, you'll never know whether you like it or not. You might either be disappointed or positively surprised by it - either way it's always an experience.

Serapy
04-29-2007, 03:14 AM
Why are you judging this game as if you haven't played this game yet? Anyways, I have not either, so no commet on the game but the output of the game to media is pretty sweet, the graphic that is.

Roto13
04-29-2007, 03:26 AM
Edit: By the way, who says they won't be quality games just because there will be a few of them? Because it's not the same team working on every single one, they have many teams. >.>; The statement that was made regarding this just makes the poster look like he doesn't have a clue what he's on about.

It's not like FF X-2 and FFVI: DoC were being churned out by the same team at the same time either, you know.

Odaisé Gaelach
04-29-2007, 03:39 AM
Let's just wait for the game to actually be released, shall we? :)

Bolivar
05-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Dude

This game looks like nothing I've ever seen in an FF.

And after XII, I think that's something we desperately need.

The fact that there is so little material out there makes me question your pessimism. What is it that you are really complaining about?

I'm not gonna lie, this is my favorite FF production team, and the way that this looks like it's going to forever change the series, like they've done a few times before, has me really psyched.

Edit: I'm really glad that Sakaguchi guy has nothing to do with this :)

Rostum
05-02-2007, 07:00 AM
It's not like FF X-2 and FFVI: DoC were being churned out by the same team at the same time either, you know.

No, they were churned out by crappy teams. :p

Well, he hadn't really had that much to do with Final Fantasy even when he was with Square-Enix. At least not in the later releases. But yeah...

Bolivar
05-03-2007, 02:57 AM

No, they were churned out by crappy teams. :p

Well, he hadn't really had that much to do with Final Fantasy even when he was with Square-Enix. At least not in the later releases. But yeah...

i was being sarcastic. But this is my favorite production team.

Croyles
05-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Yay more Final Fantasy whining and angst.

tidus_rox
05-17-2007, 01:21 AM
I think this game looks very interesting. Buy it, I have a feeling that you will be happy you did. Hey, does anyone know the approximate release date for this thing?

Hyperion4444
07-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Thats about it.
And I own all of the Final Fantasy games 1-12.
And I'm probably not going to buy this game.
It doesn't look as though it's gonna hold up to Final Fantasy series. Something about you know, haveing like 3 or 4 seperate games to complete owning 13 itself just seems like Squee is focusing on profit, and not game quality.
Or am I the only one who thinks that?
From what I've seen, it's gonna be very disappointing.
I'm calling another game that is based on graphics only and has no story or plot at all. *coughfinalfantasyxiicough*

And yet your avatar in Advent Children... Most interesting.

The reason why they are making seperate is:
A-Celebrating 20th anniversary of the game.
B-The aspect of each games is so different.
One looks all beautiful landscape with sci-fi tech. A more positif, cheerful Final Fantasy.
While Versus looks very dark and gloomy in the present/near futur of our world.
So they really went 2 seperate ways so that the gamers feels where they belong. I'm just in FFXIII.
C-As for Agito or the other declared non-console games, I can't really answer that and is pretty much a big waste of time for cell-phone games... call me when they reach the perfection and capacity of a PS2 at very less... otherwise, you're wasting time and efforts.
D-Alot of new elements came into order since you last posted this. We know much more info than just the trailer.

Amin_Strife
07-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Its the first time that I felt an FF game is going to be revolutionary since ages again. I don't know..maybe because Square Enix is putting so much money in it..or maybe its just because Nomura is main designer again? I don't know...I still yet have to play FFXII(which I will soon buy) but I know already that that game is not going to be the next legendary FF like VI VII or X(yeah I love X too much ^^). But with XIII..and especially Versus XIII..I just feel different. The first artwork I saw of FFXII(the artwork of Rabanastre) was amazing. But when I actually played the game years after...it was great..but not overly fantastic or anything. I just have the feeling that with the next one..we're in for a huge surprise xD Just imagine if Nomura's words really do come true..Advent Children-like battles..O_o

Khaotic
07-18-2007, 08:51 PM

Comments like these are usually said by people who have no idea what they're talking about and just like to jump on bandwagons.

DoC was different, that's all it was. The story and gameplay were not as bad as people make it out to be. If you don't like that kind of game, then it's no kidding you won't like it, don't even bother rating it then.

X-2 was girly, who cares, is there something wrong with that? It had a very good battle system, and the way you could change jobs mid-battle brought several new tactics. I'd say it was one of the best battle systems since 7. As for the story, I personally enjoyed it.

As for XIII, I'm not hyped about it at all, it doesn't even feel, look, or seem like a Final Fantasy anymore, but i'll wait for more info to be released before making an opinion on it.

Sword
04-15-2008, 02:07 PM
So far the only bad thing I've seen about FFXIII is that they misspelled Blizzard lol. Other than that it looks excelent. I'm really curious about the battle system and what the plot might be.

Vivisteiner
04-15-2008, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=Bolivar;2177200]

Yeah, that Sakaguchi guy was a complete waste of space. Im glad he's off the team. I mean, all he ever did was found Final Fantasy and produce some of the greatest games ever made. I mean, itd take me a weekend just to do that.

Roogle
04-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Its the first time that I felt an FF game is going to be revolutionary since ages again. I don't know..maybe because Square Enix is putting so much money in it..or maybe its just because Nomura is main designer again?

I am glad that the game is resonating with some people in the fanbase. Final Fantasy XII had a lot of the type of hype that you are currently experiencing, but I think that it fell short of its original vision and its marketing promises.

Bolivar
04-28-2008, 11:26 PM

Comments like these are usually said by people who have no idea what they're talking about and just like to jump on bandwagons.

Yep, that sounds like Roto alright!

Yeah, that Sakaguchi guy was a complete waste of space. Im glad he's off the team. I mean, all he ever did was found Final Fantasy and produce some of the greatest games ever made. I mean, itd take me a weekend just to do that.

Actually, Omecle's right. Outside of "hey, let's make an RPG!" he didn't have much to do with even the earlier titles, as it has since been revealed that Hiromichi Tanaka directed III and IV, Akitoshi Kawazu directed II, and that Tanaka and Kenshi Ishi were the ones who came up with the setting and mythology of the original titles. This is all evidenced by the fact that the games he makes for Microsoft nowadays are nowhere near the caliber of Final Fantasy.

I do give him FFIX, though. Definately gets points on that one.

Alot of them.

Wolf Kanno
05-01-2008, 03:58 AM
Actually, Omecle's right. Outside of "hey, let's make an RPG!" he didn't have much to do with even the earlier titles, as it has since been revealed that Hiromichi Tanaka directed III and IV, Akitoshi Kawazu directed II, and that Tanaka and Kenshi Ishi were the ones who came up with the setting and mythology of the original titles. This is all evidenced by the fact that the games he makes for Microsoft nowadays are nowhere near the caliber of Final Fantasy.

I do give him FFIX, though. Definately gets points on that one.

Alot of them.

Interesting, do you have link to this info? I would love to read it :D

Tabris
05-01-2008, 09:39 AM
I am curious about XIII and will certainly buy it on the release date if not sooner - but I am not really giddy with excitement, because I feel it's too high-tech for my taste. (Nothing would be better than if I were wrong on this!)

Wolf Kanno
05-01-2008, 08:36 PM
I am curious about XIII and will certainly buy it on the release date if not sooner - but I am not really giddy with excitement, because I feel it's too high-tech for my taste. (Nothing would be better than if I were wrong on this!)

This is the number one thing about the game that bothers me as well. Especially hearing from the staff that magic and summons are based around technology, I sometimes wonder why bother with Fantasy in the title? One of my issues with VIII was that it was far more sci-fi than fantasy and what little fantasy elelments it had always felt tacked on (due to lack of in-game explanantion. I still would like to know what GFs are...) to me. I get a Spirits Within vibe from XIII.

Cocoon is heavy sci-fi but Pulse is promising, yet I can't shake it feels like some sc-fi alien world rather than a mystical fantasy land. Technically this thinking is absurd since outside of technology guidelines a fantasy world and sc-fi world are basically the same thing. Of course at the end of the day, it doesn't cause we don't have any real info on anything concerning it. Damn you SE and your refusal to release real info til the games release! :mad2:

Roxxas
05-03-2008, 07:47 PM
The only single bit of bad news I've found about either of the games so far is that they made Lightning basically a female Cloud. That alone makes me want to scream. Seriously, Cloud wasn't a very good character square quit cloning him and repeating him and let him die already.

Jessweeee♪
05-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Cloud's starting to really grow on me n.n

At first I thought he was a good character, now he's a pretty kewl character. A female Cloud would also be neat. They can have a little Cloud, too.

DMKA
05-05-2008, 05:15 AM
Wow, this thread is just like the entire FFXII forum before it's release. ^___^

Avarice-ness
05-05-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm not really too stoked about this either.

And, I've said it and I'll say it again. I believe that this game will be the single most example of how squeenix puts profits over the games. And how the Final Fantasy series is loosing the heart it had that 'caused it to be loved by many many people.

For those saying that this thread sounds like how FFXII was before it came out. You also have to realize that the hype for FFXII was split, and after the game came out it got even MORE split.

Personally, I'm not all about graphics and flashy things, the -only- thing that kept me playing FFXII was the fact it was pretty to look at but I never once was sucked into the story nor had any feelings towards any character at any time while playing.

I'm DREADING that FFXIII will be alot like FFXII in that aspect, 95% graphics, 4% story, 1% heart.

And when I say Heart, I mean that you could actually feel something for almost all the characters at any time.

FF7 had plenty of chracters that you felt for, I mean hell when Aeris died I was almost more sad by the expression Tifa had, the whole running off and crying thing, I felt like "OMG SHE'S SO SAD"
Even in FFVIII I felt for the characters, and I don't even like the game!
In FFIX, the scene at the end with Zidane and Garnet getting back together made me the happiest person on the world and made it feel like everything I've felt for them had finally come to a finale.
In FFX, regardless if I couldn't stand the game, I felt for Tidus, I felt for Yuna, Hell I even felt for drunken Jetch.

In FFXII... I think I might have felt for Penelo? Maybe, only because I like her character design? I think Fran and Baltheir are cute, but.. I never felt like I was once with any chara, but more so just watching them in a movie, a very dull movie.

So yeah, this game worries me. If I play this I'll rent it and play it on my sister's ps3.

Nifleheim7
05-06-2008, 02:18 AM
I'm DREADING that FFXIII will be alot like FFXII in that aspect, 95% graphics, 4% story, 1% heart.

And when I say Heart, I mean that you could actually feel something for almost all the characters at any time.

That's a scary thought!
*knocks on wood*

I don't know about FFXIII but i feel that at least Versus is in good hands.I think Nomura prefers more character driven stories.

Roogle
05-06-2008, 07:27 PM

I agree, Tabris. I hope that Final Fantasy XII will pull a trick similar to what happened in Final Fantasy VII. The game begins in Midgar and the player has no reason to believe that the rest of the world is much different from Midgar, yet when you go on the world map for the first time...

Crizpy
07-19-2008, 02:39 AM
I'm not really too stoked about this either.

And, I've said it and I'll say it again. I believe that this game will be the single most example of how squeenix puts profits over the games. And how the Final Fantasy series is loosing the heart it had that 'caused it to be loved by many many people.

For those saying that this thread sounds like how FFXII was before it came out. You also have to realize that the hype for FFXII was split, and after the game came out it got even MORE split.

Personally, I'm not all about graphics and flashy things, the -only- thing that kept me playing FFXII was the fact it was pretty to look at but I never once was sucked into the story nor had any feelings towards any character at any time while playing.

FF7 had plenty of chracters that you felt for, I mean hell when Aeris died I was almost more sad by the expression Tifa had, the whole running off and crying thing, I felt like "OMG SHE'S SO SAD"
Even in FFVIII I felt for the characters, and I don't even like the game!
In FFIX, the scene at the end with Zidane and Garnet getting back together made me the happiest person on the world and made it feel like everything I've felt for them had finally come to a finale.
In FFX, regardless if I couldn't stand the game, I felt for Tidus, I felt for Yuna, Hell I even felt for drunken Jetch.

In FFXII... I think I might have felt for Penelo? Maybe, only because I like her character design? I think Fran and Baltheir are cute, but.. I never felt like I was once with any chara, but more so just watching them in a movie, a very dull movie.

So yeah, this game worries me. If I play this I'll rent it and play it on my sister's ps3.
Couldnt have said it better myself.
This is exactly the same way I feel.

Roto13
07-19-2008, 03:15 AM

Yep, that sounds like Roto alright!

Yeah, and I guess all of those horrible reviews DoC got were all bandwaggoning. :rolleyes2

I have a bit of shocking news for you, but brace yourself. People are often going to have different opinions than you. Sometimes, most people are going to have different opinions than you! It's true! That doesn't mean that everyone is just hating for the sake of hating, though, so it doesn't give you an excuse to behave like Anasia's little brother. Get over yourself.

Kenshin IV
07-19-2008, 03:56 AM
I'm going to go out on a wee bit of a limb here and say the only impressive thing you've seen so far is the graphics prooobably because they haven't shown anything at all on the actual game yet.

Roto13
07-19-2008, 04:12 AM
I find it funny that this thread was created over a year ago, but it's still true.

Croyles
07-19-2008, 06:59 PM
People want to get hyped without getting disturbed I guess. Going on forums where you will hear other peoples opinions from around the world is not the place to be if your one of those people.

Im taking this stance: Im hyped for the game until proven otherwise.
This is the way I usually do it. It means more disappointment, yes, but I still like it more this way :D

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2008, 12:44 AM
People want to get hyped without getting disturbed I guess. Going on forums where you will hear other peoples opinions from around the world is not the place to be if your one of those people.

Im taking this stance: Im hyped for the game until proven otherwise.
This is the way I usually do it. It means more disappointment, yes, but I still like it more this way :D

Lol! I'm the opposite. I've been too badly disappointed with hyped FF games (VII and X respectively) to just jump on the hype machine with the others. I respect we all have our opinions and though I do feel its odd to be hyped for XIII with the little info we do know; I don't care that others feel differently as long as they respect my ability to state my conflicting opinion.

I'm staying the skeptical route, but sadly, the game doesn't interest me much so it may even be longer for it to prove its worth since I doubt I'll bother playing it for a few years. Nothing about it says "must have" to me like previous installments. Throw in my lack of thinking "SE=Good and Quality" and its even harder for me to get hyped about it. I might care again if SE stops hiring Nojima to write for them.

Skyblade
07-20-2008, 02:44 PM

I agree, Tabris. I hope that Final Fantasy XII will pull a trick similar to what happened in Final Fantasy VII. The game begins in Midgar and the player has no reason to believe that the rest of the world is much different from Midgar, yet when you go on the world map for the first time...

Actually, I loved that moment for a different reason. You fight around in Midgar, exploring this massive technological city, fight some climactic battles, and then you get tossed out into the world map. It just made me realize how big the world really was.

Mostly, I agree with Avarice-ness though. I don't have much faith in the heart Square is putting in its games right now.

Bolivar
07-21-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm still surprised at how much anger and detailed examination can be given to a product with 3-5 1-3 minute trailers, a couple of pictures and maybe less than 10 english interviews. I guess it's the price we pay for decentralized media.