PDA

View Full Version : Share a Great "Unknown" Book/Film/Game/Band

Discord
04-24-2007, 02:25 AM
The point of this thread is to share a great experience that you had, in a form of a literal, cinematographic, musical or video-game work, with other EoFFers. You've seen a great film that isn't known by too many people? Why not let us know about its existence.

So here we go. Let's hope this post won't get killed by the server.

Version 1.02

Rules: (please follow them)

1.) Post the name of a book, a film, a band and/or a game (or a series of either) that's your absolute favourite, but didn't make it into the charts or isn't known by most of your friends.
2.) Write a short description (one or two short sentences/outlines minimum) about this work, i.e. premise of the book/film, style of the game, etc.
3.) If you can, try explaining in one or two sentences what you like about it.
4.) You are allowed to leave out any one or two of the medias, i.e. just writing about a film or about a game and a book will do just as fine.
5.) You can always add the missing media to your post via edit.
6.) Providing it is possible, add a Wikipedia link for future reference.
7.) Suggest your life-episode (pupil, student, married for a decade, etc) and background-knowledge recommendation for the work.

Accepted media:

Books
Films
Theatrical plays/Musicals
Series
Bands/Singers/Other musical performers
Video games
...if you can think of anything else that would fit in well, PM me.

You are forbidden to...:

1.) ...post the works that are (amazingly) popular. E.g. DaVinci Code, The Sixth Sense, Max Payne won't really do.
2.) ...post any works related to Square Enix.
3a.) ...post more than one work of each type.
3b.) ...only post about bands. Band + something else is ok.
4.) ...have more than one post.
5.) ...quote or reply to other posters.
6.) ...telling us how the work ends.:p

NB: Not famous is of course subjective. If you believe that something is not as appreciated as it obviously should've been, post it. Can be a best-seller that for some reason passed by your social environment.

Example/My contribution:

Book series -Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons.

Science fiction taking place in distant future. Has a number of strong philosophical themes, such as religion, AIs, politics and "time vs. human lifespan", mixed grabbing action and adventure elements. Includes a large number of twists and turns that'll make you really enjoy it (or hate the fact that you're still reading at 05:00 of the morning) and interesting ideas providing the food for the brain. Doesn't give an impression of a tedious Sci-Fi, so if you don't really like the style or haven't read any of it yet, I'd recommend this, and not the 400 Star Trek books, as a starter.

To fully enjoy it, I'd suggest reading it after or at the very end of your school education. You simply need those Philosophy classes to spot quite a few finesses of the book and develop the atmosphere. Other ways you'll just gallop through the action and find the rest boring. All in all it is a smart, yet an easy read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_cantos

Wolf Kanno
04-24-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm certain this fits in film more than anything...

The Musical 1776, I have yet to meet someone who has seen this movie let alone even heard of the Broadway play... and I worked in a theatre!

Originally a Broadway play in 1969, it became a wonderful film in 1972. It is hilarious... and recounts the story of Congress debating about the idea of independence. It revolves specifically around John Adams who is considered "obnoxious and disliked" by his fellow countrymen. Surprisingly, it is very accurate to the actual historical events. Going so far to base many lines from actual quotes of the historical figures. It's a wonderful history lesson and is really funny and charming. The music is superb as well. My personal favorite is "Pittle, Twittle, and Resolve" a wonderful and eerily accurate (even today) song about John Adams' thoughts on Congress...
(praying to God)
Adams:
I do believe you've laid a curse on North America
A curse that we now here rehearse in Philadelphia
A second flood, a simple famine
Plagues of locusts everywhere
Or a cataclysmic earthquake
I'd accept with some despair
But, no, you sent us Congress.
Good God, sir, was that fair?

I say it with humility in Philadelphia
We're your responsibility in Philadephia
If you don't want to see us hanging
From some far-off British hill
If you don't want the voice of independency
Forever still
Then God, sir, get thee to it
For Congress never will

You see, we piddle, twiddle, and resolve
Not one damn thing do we solve
Piddle, twiddle, and resolve
Nothing's ever solved in
Foul, fetid, fuming, foggy, filthy
Philadephia!

They may sit here for years and years in Philadelphia.
These indecisive grenadiers of Philadelphia.
They can't agree on what is right and wrong
Or what is good or bad; I'm convinced
The only purpose this Congress ever had
Was to gather here specifically
To drive John Adams mad!

You see, we piddle, twiddle, and resolve
Not one damn thing do we solve
Piddle, twiddle, and resolve
Nothing's ever solved in
Foul, fetid, fuming, foggy, filthy
Philadephia!

I think you should watch it if you are studyinhg about it or if your a history buff or if you like witty musicals from the 60's:cool:

Here's the wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1776_(musical)

Rocket Edge
04-24-2007, 12:16 PM
One film i would suggest is called 'Ran' (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089881/), made in 1985.

I seen it just over two years ago, and it was my first encounter with the legendary director Akira Kurosawa. In my view, it's always greater to go into a film with an open opinion rather than look at its critical acclaim beforehand, & it certainly proved the case here.

"A story of Greed, a lust for power, and ultimate revenge. The Great Lord Hidetora Ichimonji (Tatsuya Nakadai) has decided to step aside to make room for the younger blood of his three sons, Taro (Akira Terao), Jiro (Jinpachi Nezu), and Saburo (Daisuke Ryu). The Lord's only wish now being to live out his years as an honored guest in the castle of each of his sons in turn. While the older two sons flatter their father, the youngest son attempts to warn him of the folly of expecting the three sons to remain united, enraged at the younger sons' attempt to point out the danger, the father banishes him. True to the younger sons' warning however, the Oldest Son soon conspires with the Second Son to strip The Great Lord of everything, even his title. The story follows the decent of the old man into madness, the machinations of treachery and deceit by the two older sons and their downfall, and the loyalty of the youngest who ultimately rescues his father. But in the end it is the past deeds of The Great Lord that bring on the final battle and end the era of the Lord Hidetora and his clan." -IMDB

The plot is great, the script is clever, but best of all is the directing in this movie. When I think about it, this film is more like an artistic masterpiece rather than a motion picture. Best description of this could be during the battle scenes. It could be said that this film is gorey in parts, but it's almost like the blood of the slain paint a picture of tragedy. It's symbolic & beautiful, & I highly recommend.