PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Fighting Game

TyphoonThaReapa
04-24-2007, 05:05 PM
A'yo, it's time to settle this right here of EoFF! Which is best? The Tekken series, Soul Calibur series, Virtual Fighter series, Bloody Roar series, or Super Smash Brothers series. Cast your vote now!

Edit: Damn I forgot to put Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. How do I go back and fix it?

Araciel
04-24-2007, 05:27 PM
out of this list? i'd say tekken.

Dreddz
04-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Street Fighter. Ever since Street Fighter 2 it has been my all time favourite gaming franchise. But thats not to say other games havent come close. Guilty Gear X2 is fucking brilliant, but to surpass Street Fighter III 3rd Strike is a difficult task. As for 3D fighting, I have said Tekken is my favourite 3D fighter for a long time, and I guess it still is. But Virtua Fighter 5 is just so great it could all change.

Roto13
04-24-2007, 07:02 PM
What's the best or what's my favourite? Among fighting game aficionados, Virtua Fighter is considered to be the best of the best. There's not really much question about that. (I'm going on 3D fighters here, because it's difficult to compare 2D and 3D fighters.) My personal favourite is Soul Calibur or Smash Bros, even though Smash Bros is... unorthodox.

For 2D fighters, I believe Street Fighter is the most popular game among tournament players, and it just so happens to be my favourite too.

Levian
04-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Edit: Damn I forgot to put Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. How do I go back and fix it?

You can't, so ask a mod. I fixed it for you. :-*

My favorite is Tekken, probably. Unlocking Anna's ending is always fun.

TyphoonThaReapa
04-24-2007, 07:17 PM

You can't, so ask a mod. I fixed it for you. :-*

My favorite is Tekken, probably. Unlocking Anna's ending is always fun.

Thanks!:cool:

Vyk
04-24-2007, 09:57 PM
DoA's not on there. Not that I'd pick it. Soul Calibur owns all 3D fighting games. Though DoA 2 was a blast. Street Fighter and Soul Calibur ... need to mate. Love 'em both

Jowy
04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Give me Guilty Gear X2#Reload for a 2D. 3D, It would be Soul Calibur.

Slothy
04-24-2007, 11:19 PM
DoA's not on there.

And it shouldn't be. (:p to all you DOA fans)

Although VF5 is hands down the best balanced and most technical 3D fighter, I went with Soul Calibur, since the series comes close to the same level of depth and technical mastery, while being more accessible to those who are new to the game (although I will say that VF5 is the most accessible one in the series which is a plus).

Of 2D fighters it's Street Fighter hands down, though I generally prefer 3D fighters.

KentaRawr!
04-24-2007, 11:58 PM
I find it odd how Mortal Kombat would be on there before Dead or Alive. Dead or Alive never changed since 2, so how could it possibly go downhill? :p

Anyway, I normally have the most fun with Soul Calibur, but 3 wasn't as good as the others. I like Mortal Kombat 3, and the only 3D one I currently have is Armageddon, which is pretty cool. The only game in the Street Fighter series I really like (Unless you count the Alpha games) are Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Street Fighter 3. I don't really like the Tekken games much, but I used to play Tekken 3 every Wednesday at a skating arcade. Super Smash Bros. is one of those games that I am below average at, but love anyway.

black orb
04-25-2007, 12:23 AM
>>> The ultimate fighting game series?
King of Fighters maybe.

Markus. D
04-25-2007, 12:44 AM
They have all had good and bad games... apart from Guilty Gear, Virtua Fighter and super smash.

so blech~

XxSephirothxX
04-25-2007, 12:45 AM
I like 2D fighters far more than 3D, though Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur are both fantastic games. The Street Fighter series wins for me, hands down, though I'd have difficulty picking which one, specifically. I loved Alpha 2 on the Saturn when I was a kid, and really, really enjoy Capcom Vs. SNK 2 and currently, though I rarely play it. Actually, I really love Smash Bros too. So hard to choose. :(

Shiny
04-25-2007, 12:47 AM
Tekken series- Haven't played it. It seems like it wants to mimic its predecessor, Street Fighter.
Soul Calibur series- Haven’t played it though I heard it was good. There’s something interesting about watching Link outside of his usual Zelda games.
Virtual Fighter series- I like them. Nothing was too spectacular about them, they just weren’t flashy like a lot of other fighting games and that’s what I liked. Then again, I’ve only played the older ones.
Bloody Roar series- Never heard of it.
Super Smash Brothers series- Cute, but when I want to bash someone’s head in virtually I don’t want to be like “Omg…um…gee…SQUEE!”
Mortal Kombat series- The characters rule. The fighting, although flashy, is cool and unique. Each character has their own thing. It isn’t the same lame kick n’ punch thing over and over.
Street Fighter series- Pretty much add the same exact thing as Mortal Kombat. Although some of the characters did suck.

Spammerman
04-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Mortal Kombat, cause theres nothing like turning into a bunny and killing a man.

Psychotic
04-25-2007, 01:48 AM
I like to hug Tekken at night when I get lonely.

Markus. D
04-25-2007, 02:15 AM
Tekken series- Haven't played it. It seems like it wants to mimic its predecessor, Street Fighter.

Street Fighter series- Pretty much add the same exact thing as Mortal Kombat. Although some of the characters did suck.

Tekken so isn't one of those games.

Street Fighter is definetly in relation to mortal kombat... but the battle system has more possibility and freedom than the mortal kombat games.

JKTrix
04-25-2007, 02:26 AM
WHERE IS JUMP ULTIMATE STARS

Virtua Fighter.

PS, I'm back.

Spammerman
04-25-2007, 02:29 AM
\

[B]Street Fighter series- Pretty much add the same exact thing as Mortal Kombat. Although some of the characters did suck.

\

Street Fighter is definetly in relation to mortal kombat... but the battle system has more possibility and freedom than the mortal kombat games.

Have you seen the Armaggedon Finisher system?

XxSephirothxX
04-25-2007, 02:34 AM

Tekken so isn't one of those games.

...except Street Fighter is five years older than Mortal Kombat? :P And Street Fighter II, which is the one that counts, anyway, is still a year older.

Roto13
04-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Mortal Kombat, cause theres nothing like turning into a bunny and killing a man.

You might want to give Bloody Roar a try, then. :P

Markus. D
04-25-2007, 02:45 AM

You might want to give Bloody Roar a try, then. :P

xD

Spammerman
04-25-2007, 02:57 AM
Tried bloody roar. I rocked with the bug guy on the ps. But can you freeze people, be a robot, or turn into a giant and squash them? I think not.

Roto13
04-25-2007, 02:58 AM
You can be a robot mole. Does that count?

Markus. D
04-25-2007, 03:00 AM
\

[B]Street Fighter series- Pretty much add the same exact thing as Mortal Kombat. Although some of the characters did suck.

\

I have Armaggeddon.

Alot of the characters use the same moves as others.

Kreated Characters are absolutely broken.

And the finishing system rids the wondrous signature fatality system to generic fatality combos that is the same for each character.

Lynx
04-25-2007, 06:30 AM
from the list i must say super smash brothers is my favorite.

but the real best is killer instinct. they need to make more killer instinct games.

Pete for President
04-25-2007, 07:29 AM
My vote goes to Soul Calibur. The action is awesome, weapons are sweet and multiplayer rocks.

Wolf Kanno
04-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Where's the SNK love?

No King of Fighters?
No Samurai Shodown?
No Fatal Fury?
No World Heroes?
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hell, even Capcom's wonderful Darkstalkers series is nowhere to be seen as well as Arc Systems Guilty Gear series...

As you might be able to tell, I love my 2D fighters:love:

From the list, I'm choosing Street Fighter. It features a wonderful level of depth and precision that other games can't seem to grasp (except maybe VF). It has a wonderful cast of characters and the SFIII is quite possible the most fluid and well executed Fighting game in the genre. Mortal Kombat has always been generic in terms of gameplay, Tekken is just... bad. Bloody Roar is the MK of the 3D fighter genre. Soul Calibur is good but not great. STILL haven't got around to playing Virtua Fighter (notices JKTrix giving me the "evil eye" ;)) And Smash Bros. is so non-traditional it's practically a sub-genre and shouldn't count.

Madame Adequate
04-25-2007, 11:19 AM
The best fighting game series ever is Soul Calibur. No matter what VF fans might think. They're just sick, and they will get better.

Absence of Darkstalkers, World Heroes, Eternal Champions, and Marvel vs. Capcom makes me a sad pokeman though. :(

Spammerman
04-25-2007, 12:05 PM
\

\

I have Armaggeddon.

Alot of the characters use the same moves as others.

Kreated Characters are absolutely broken.

And the finishing system rids the wondrous signature fatality system to generic fatality combos that is the same for each character.

But its still fun ripping people in half. Or kicking them in the groin. Or ripping off their arms and hitting them in the face with them.

ReloadPsi
04-25-2007, 12:09 PM
As a man who is sick of Guilty Gear being left out of these lists, I guess I'll just have to pick Mortal Kombat. I'm better at MK than at Guilty Gear anyway, but Mortal Kombat hasn't given me my all time favourite game soundtracks. Speaking of, when the hell are the soundtracks for Judgment (sic) and Dust Strikers getting released, dammit?

But its still fun ripping people in half. Or kicking them in the groin. Or ripping off their arms and hitting them in the face with them.

This is true... although I'm not very good at these; I can get an Extreme Fatality (10 stages; the highest is 11, and if you use cheat codes you can go higher but the rewards stop at 10) but it's the same every time.

And which other fighting game lets you create and play as a Red Mage, hmmm?

P.S. Protip: When I read this thread title, I was thinking it was gonna be a game about the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Slothy
04-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Soul Calibur series- Haven’t played it though I heard it was good. There’s something interesting about watching Link outside of his usual Zelda games.
Virtual Fighter series- I like them. Nothing was too spectacular about them, they just weren’t flashy like a lot of other fighting games and that’s what I liked. Then again, I’ve only played the older ones.

You've missed out on some great games my friend.

And for the record; Mortal Kombat doesn't have half the depth of Street Fighter 3 (or any other Street Fighters for that matter). Even when it comes to the best game in the series, MK2, and runner up MK4.

ReloadPsi
04-25-2007, 01:04 PM

You've missed out on some great games my friend.

And for the record; Mortal Kombat doesn't have half the depth of Street Fighter 3 (or any other Street Fighters for that matter). Even when it comes to the best game in the series, MK2, and runner up MK4.

I like to speculate that the thing that made MK so popular is that it was aimed at older gamers. The older games are definitely inferior fighting games, and were so back in their glory days (I know I did always prefer Street Fighter when I was younger) but their simplicity made them accessible to the older crowd, back when gaming was still relatively fresh and new, so they didn't get to learn from an earlier age (six years if we ignore the Video Game Crash of 1983; the NES revived it all in '85). Did I mention that was pure speculation?

Now that I'm the same age as those people, I'm able to say I grew up with video games. Anything as simple as Mortal Kombat is bound to get laughing and pointing out of me, but it's also a game from my childhood and I still love it. MK has also kept trying new things while every Street Fighter game I play just feels eerily similar to the previous one, right down to the fact that I'm pretty sure you still have to charge a Sonic Boom for 2 seconds, which an AI Guile somehow does while walking towards you. Plus the first MK movie was infinitely better than Street Fighter. Not that that's a worthy point of argument, especially when you take the sequel into consideration ;)

Discord
04-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Bah, neither. DoA 4 eva.

Mirage
04-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Soul Calibur for me.

Firo Volondé
04-25-2007, 01:31 PM
I voted for SSB, for nostalgia's sake. I'm not the greatest fan of fighting games.

TyphoonThaReapa
04-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Ok people, I know I missed a few games and I'm sorry!!! I tried my best!!!:(

blim
04-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I didnt like beat em ups til i played tekken 3 so i guess i have to go for tekken

Lionx
04-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Personally nothing will be Street Fighter, and with a very close runner up, King of Fighters. 2-D will always be the fighters i like and can play well at. I do disagree at the notion of Street Fighter feeling the same with every game installment outside maybe the SFII:WW => SFII:HF part where some differences were not as pronounced from one game to the next. But even within that generation of SFII, the changes were noticable if you play it competitively enough.

I liked the concept of Bloody Roar, but it wasnt really a very good game since it had 100% combos and other stuff that came with it.

Roto13
04-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Mortal Kombat isn't aimed at "older gamers." It's aimed at 12-year-olds whose parents don't care what they're playing.

Dreddz
04-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Nuts, I forgot to mention Asuka 120% Excellent: Burning Festival. Why oh why wasnt it released outside Japan. That game was beyond the realms of awesome.

Where's the SNK love?

No King of Fighters?
No Samurai Shodown?
No Fatal Fury?
No World Heroes?

Absence of Darkstalkers, World Heroes, Eternal Champions, and Marvel vs. Capcom makes me a sad pokeman though. :(

I dont know whether to laugh or cry.

Wolf Kanno
04-28-2007, 04:49 AM
Nuts, I forgot to mention Asuka 120% Excellent: Burning Festival. Why oh why wasnt it released outside Japan. That game was beyond the realms of awesome.

Where's the SNK love?

No King of Fighters?
No Samurai Shodown?
No Fatal Fury?
No World Heroes?

I dont know whether to laugh or cry.

Probably cry:D

I only mentioned it cause I was curious to know if anyone else remembered this game.

Black Mage FF1
04-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Super Smash Brothers Melee is the best fighting game of all time IMO.

Playing with 3 other people = a lot of fun.

Dreddz
04-29-2007, 10:36 PM
I only mentioned it cause I was curious to know if anyone else remembered this game.

I sure do, I remember the pain like it was yesterday.

KentaRawr!
04-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Mortal Kombat isn't aimed at "older gamers." It's aimed at 12-year-olds whose parents don't care what they're playing.

Are you sure it's not aimed at fans of the series?

Arcanus1
05-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Got ta be SOUL CALIBUR it just rocks:fencing:

demondude
05-11-2007, 06:09 PM
I like the super smash brothers series

4evarisha
05-18-2007, 12:00 AM
SOUL CALIBER SERIES ROCKS MY SOXS!

B-dup
05-26-2007, 08:52 AM
yo wtf, doa is not up here; by far doa is the best