PDA

View Full Version : Stillshrine HELP

The black mage
04-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I need help against Mautus at the end of the stillshrine. all of my charicters are leval 23

Savannah
04-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Ninjinshin Belts are a must. If you don't already have 3 of them, go out and buy one for each character you have in battle, otherwise you'll just keep losing time recovering from Sleep spells and he'll wipe the floor with you.

The black mage
04-24-2007, 07:06 PM
He uses sleep!!!
he never uses sleep against me.

Setzer Gabianni
04-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Just pull off a fat quickening chain like I did. 15/16 hits, 30K+ of damage.

Remon
04-24-2007, 08:43 PM
I don't know if they're available at this time but Ice Shields help in this battle.Also quickenings will help a lot.If not Mateus at least they can wipe out those ice azers.

If you don't have quickenings then i suggest casting thundara un them until they're out.Watch out though.Mateus likes to use reflect so don't use thundara on him.Shell can also help a bit

The black mage
04-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Ok any help the quikanings as i can only get an 8 chain.
Also i need more Demonsbanes i have 1 and its doing just under 500 damage

ValiantKnight
04-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Assuming that its an ice boss, might ice shields and flameswords help against it?

Shell and protect if available as well(I cant remember the timeline for spells since i havent played in a few weeks)

Human Devil
04-24-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm pretty sure you can buy Ice Shields, Ninjinshin belts & Flametongue's from the shop guy at Mt. Bur-Omisace/Sand-strewn Pass. And if they dont have every thing you need try Jahara.
Besides these 3 things listed is what I used. (She didnt really cast Sleepga that much on me either)
With this you probably can beat her without using Quickenings.

Savannah
04-25-2007, 02:47 AM
He uses sleep!!!

Huh, that's weird. His Sleep spells were the only reason I couldn't kill him the first time.

Human Devil
04-25-2007, 03:13 AM
He uses sleep!!!

Huh, that's weird. His Sleep spells were the only reason I couldn't kill him the first time.

Why do people keep calling it a guy!? Its plainly obvious its a female esper. Are you guys blind it has boobs you know. :eep:

Savannah
04-25-2007, 04:07 AM
He uses sleep!!!

Why do people keep calling it a guy!? Its plainly obvious its a female esper. Are you guys blind it has boobs you know. :eep:

No, Mateus is not a female. If you'd read the Esper's info, you'd know that Mateus is a man. He conjured the Shiva-looking goddess to serve him in battle. If you look closely, you can tell that there are actually two bodies; Matus is behind the ice goddess, using her as a shield.

Inform yourself before you lash out next time :)

GF_Diablos
04-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Never sleeped up my party either. I just used a Fira>Foe Gambit and quickening when he was at about 50%

Slothy
04-25-2007, 12:47 PM
He uses sleep!!!

You know, I didn't know he used sleep when I first fought him and despite not being immune to it managed to kill him. I won't say it was easy because I damn near got slaughtered a dozen time near the end, but I did pull it off. So yeah, I'd agree with getting some sleep immunity. As exciting as teetering on the brink can be, it's no fun when you lose.

The black mage
04-25-2007, 01:20 PM
I'll say.
Any way ALL of my party members have ice shilds (well my main 3 anyway) I bought For some reason a redmaw droped one I AM NOT KIDDING. Also the Demonsbane just appered in my inverntory (must of been droped by an enaimy in battle and i didn't notice.

Shiva_
04-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I'd level up a few more levels. 27 or higher would be fine.

As others said, Ice Shields help. Keep Ice Shields on two of your allies and give them 1-H weapons (e.g. swords, axes/hammers).

You can purchase a Storm Spear and give it to your melee fighter. Mateus is weak against thunder-element, and this spear should deal high damage to him.
When you see on the combat log "...readies Blizzaja", swap an Ice Shield to reduce the damage from that attack. Then re-equip the Storm Spear.

Take the Ice Azers out first before you go for Mateus. Use the Thundara spell to target multiple ones at the same time, but make sure that Mateus isn't one of the targets as he has Reflect on. You don't want your spell reflected back to you.
You can give this ally a Storm Staff during this time to inflict more damage with Thundara.

Put Nishijin Belts on everybody to protect from Sleep. Mateus casts this a lot during the battle.

Use Esuna gambits to get rid of the Sap status ailment that comes with Blizzaja.

Set your healing gambits on your other two allies to keep everyone's HP at 50% or higher. You can purchase the Curaga spell at this point. Have one ally use Cura and another one use Curaga.
Have a stock of Hi-Potions to use if your mana gets too depleted.

Before you enter the battle, buff everyone up with Protect and Shell.

Although Quickenings can do well in getting rid of the Ice Azers if you pull off a good enough chain, I wouldn't recommend trying them because if it fails, you will be left fighting with depleted mana.

The black mage
04-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Nice stratagy. i'll give it a try. but i'll use the back up groups quiknings to get rid of the ice Azers
EDIT: and done. Managed to beat him with only 2 fatalites

Mage_of_Fire
05-15-2007, 09:09 AM
The elemental adds are what use sleep. Thus you need to kill them asap.

I recently did this fight, but I was a much higher level than you (~30), so it was pretty easy.

What I did was gather up all the elementals and thundera them twice. They died in 2 hits (overkilled on the 2nd, so shouldn't be too hard to do it at a lower level w/ same equipment). Yes, my caster did get hit by the reflect from mateus. I just healed through it. You have Decoy, so that person shouldn't be takin any other damage.

After adds were down, I put reflect on my nuker, set a gambit to cast thunder on herself, and left her alone. My tank was doing fine w/ main gouche and ice shield, and my healer even had time to get some hits in with her gun. Once the adds are down it's a very simple fight. Even better if you don't have 2 casters cause the sap from the critical/overdrive/whatever thing made my healer start healing the reflected person (not good, had to turn off those gambits or manually stop her until I potted the nuker up), thus if you don't have to use reflect on yourself it will make it a lot easier.

qwertysaur
05-15-2007, 09:05 PM
congrats on beating him, but for future reference, ice is NOT weak to fire in this game.

the elements oppose as below

Fire and Water

Thunder and Ice

Earth and Wind

Holy and Darkness

Shattered Dreamer
05-18-2007, 01:12 AM
The way I did it was use Berserk,Protect,Shell & Haste on two characters & use one for healing. The berserked characters cut through the ice elementals with ease and when Mateus's health bar is 7/8 empty or so(by this time the berserk will have worn off) use a chain of quickenings of about 6-8 and he will be dead. I did it with all my characters round level 25 first time. Plus I don't recall him using sleep but I watched a friend of mine fight him and he did cast it so equip your healer character with a Ninjinshin Belt if you want to be safe rather than sorry.

Seiryuu
05-18-2007, 03:26 AM
I was cheap when I fought it (yes, I'm referring to Mateus as an it, because it's both male and female.); I used Adramellech, and the poor Ice Azers didn't stand a chance.

I finished it off with Quickenings afterwards.

The black mage
05-18-2007, 10:44 AM
congrats on beating him, but for future reference, ice is NOT weak to fire in this game.

the elements oppose as below

Fire and Water

Thunder and Ice

Earth and Wind

Holy and Darkness
Thanks for that. i didn't know how the elments lined up in this game.

Also D.r Cid is very anoying and hard to beat

Slothy
05-18-2007, 02:22 PM
A little annoying maybe, but I honestly had a harder time getting through the Draklor Labs since I started out a little under-leveled. If anything, I think he may have been one of my easier boss fights.

Renmiri
05-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Cid ? The first fight with him is way easier than the second.

Shattered Dreamer
05-18-2007, 09:55 PM
I didn't think Cid was hard first or second time Famfrit was a joke too the chain of FMV's at that point though were really cool.

Renmiri
05-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Yeah but his special attack was murder the second time!

Slothy
05-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Really? My Vaan actually blocked his special attacks half the time, and they only did about 800 damage when they hit. Maybe I was a little over leveled or something. The speed at which I tore through Gabranth, then him and Famfrit was pretty hard to believe. Then again, if I got caught by a decent mob of skeletons in the Pharos they had a tendency to slaughter half my party before I knew what hit me if I wasn't careful.

Renmiri
05-19-2007, 07:51 PM
sounds like you gave the wrong answer on the colors puzzle :p

I did too, barely survived but gained a level after the ordeal!

Slothy
05-19-2007, 10:29 PM
sounds like you gave the wrong answer on the colors puzzle :p

I did too, barely survived but gained a level after the ordeal!

Nope, I gave up using the on screen map. I also learned (the hard way) that you can go back and choose a different colour at any time.

The black mage
05-20-2007, 03:41 PM
A little annoying maybe, but I honestly had a harder time getting through the Draklor Labs since I started out a little under-leveled. If anything, I think he may have been one of my easier boss fights.
well i'm leval 31 for everyone, and i use up every thing just taking out those Rooks, i have nothing left for him.

Renmiri
05-20-2007, 07:31 PM
31 is way under leveled for him. Go back to the lower floors and try to get close to 40.

Shattered Dreamer
05-20-2007, 09:46 PM
I've honestly had more trouble with some of the hunts then any of the story boss fights,but I suppose its meant to be that way to challenge you or something

Renmiri
05-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Yeah, after you realize you gotta level up between missions the story bosses are easy. Hunts OTOH are murder regardless

Shattered Dreamer
05-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Example I killed The Undying the final boss the first time round & I have had three attempts at Fafnir and still cant kill him doesn't make alot of sense.

Slothy
05-20-2007, 10:27 PM
31 is way under leveled for him. Go back to the lower floors and try to get close to 40.

That's slightly overkill I think. I might have been level 35 or so when I beat him and I had no trouble. I think I entered the labs at around level 31, but since I did it months ago I can't recall that well. Heck, the official guide recomends being level 40-45 at least for the last boss. Definitely try to gain four or five levels maybe, but with the proper abilities and strategy you should be able to beat him without much trouble by then.

Renmiri
05-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Well Ahriman at Sochen is level 38 so I guessed Dr. Cid, right after would be level 40. I was around level 38 iirc

The black mage
05-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Well Ahriman at Sochen is level 38 so I guessed Dr. Cid, right after would be level 40. I was around level 38 iirc
i was 30 when he fell to me.:D

So i'll load up my save just before i whent in and leval up someware and by new weppons and aromor and teknekes

(after my exams of cause)

Renmiri
05-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Telekinesis is not available until after you defeat cid, but 1,000 needles and bonecrusher are :D

Shattered Dreamer
05-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Telekinesis was a bit of a let down in my opinion. I watched Reddas use it to great affect against flying enemies in the Pharos. Expect similiar affect I bought it & was surpised to find it ineffective so back to Bow attacks & strong spells for me when it comes to flying beasties:D

The black mage
05-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Did cid LV33. all members.