PDA

View Full Version : Question on the ending

Bolivar
04-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Disclamer: If you can't figure out, this thread in itself is a spoiler.

So Delita stabs Ovelia at the end? WTF??? Dude builds a kingdom for her then kills her? He's one sick dude. One hell of a character.

I guess it shows that even though he became king (as they let you know in the beginning), in the end he was still left with nothing, after all his plotting and scheming. I guess that's why he asks Ramza "What did you get?" ?

Anyway, great game, and I'm glad I finally beat it (My 4th time through it i think). Anyone's welcome to share thoughts on the ending or on the game in general.

Jowy
04-26-2007, 02:05 AM
Ovelia stabs him first and doesn't penetrate his armor.

More anti-heroes need to be like Delita.

Bolivar
04-26-2007, 03:08 AM
Ovelia stabs him first and doesn't penetrate his armor.

More anti-heroes need to be like Delita.

oh ok. that makes more sense.

dodhungry
04-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Although I enjoy playing this game, I do not like how it ends. I guess thats why I have only beat the game once.

Lynx
04-26-2007, 06:30 AM
one of the many reasons delita is one of the coolest characters in all of FF.

he saw how easily disposed low class people were like his sister. so his revenge is to become king himself and kill anyone standing in his way. all though you can tell he really doesnt want to kill his best friend Ramza despite what he may say. when ovelia betrayed him for whatever reason she had (that was the part i didnt understand) without hesitation he did what had to be done.

BG-57
04-26-2007, 12:35 PM
She tries to kill him, because she's just found out how he's been using her to get into a position of power. That she is upset is understandable. Whether he survives isn't shown, but it's implied since he presided over a long, prosperous reign.

Delita is the perfect illustration of a character that gains the world but loses his soul. The only person left who understands him has disappeared into exile. I found his motives understandable but the deaths of innocents by his schemes does not justify them.

Roogle
04-26-2007, 11:35 PM
The ending is slightly ambiguous.

I expect that the port, Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War, on the Playstation Portable will divulge a little more of what happened on that day.

My interpretation echoes others. I felt that Ovelia found out that she was only a political puppet to Delita - though, Delita may have really loved her - and had a very realistic reaction to attempt to kill Delita. Delita is a warrior and disarms her after she attacks him and she realizes her intent, and, by instinct, strikes her back. This would probably prove fatal to an untrained individual like Ovelia.

Jowy
04-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Man, you're one active poster, Roogle! Keep it up!

Proxy
04-27-2007, 04:49 PM
I'd like to know what he meant when he said "What did you get?" It's a good thought that he still has nothing after everything he's gone through, but I think it's more than that.
I thought the game was beautful, and Delita is probably the greatest Final Fantasy character ever thought up. Dare I say better than Sephy?

Bolivar
04-29-2007, 09:23 PM
I'd like to know what he meant when he said "What did you get?" It's a good thought that he still has nothing after everything he's gone through, but I think it's more than that.
I thought the game was beautful, and Delita is probably the greatest Final Fantasy character ever thought up. Dare I say better than Sephy?

sure, why not?

to answer your question, I think he asks that because he himself, like everyone else in the game, still doesn't understand the basics of why Ramza fights. After all their trials, he's king, but his queen's dead, he has no friends, in essence, he has a kingdom but nothing that makes it worth having.

He asks what Ramza got out of the whole ordeal. But that's the thing. Ramza didn't do it to get anything. He did it because it was the right thing to do, not for himself, and Delita still doesn't understand that basic concept. Everyone in this game was using other people for personal advantage, Ramza's really the only one fighting for 'Justice'.

Ziekfried
05-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Delita became worse than Dycedarg and Vormav. What he sought to overcome he turned into. And while it wasn't shown I'd like to think that the rest of the crew survived with Ramza, it is highly likely that they did. Maybe Ramza hooked up with Rafa(she's a hottie) or maybe Agrias or Meliadoul, Mustadio traveled the world discovering new machines, Cid went off to be cool somewhere else and stuff like that. In any case it can be said tha Ramza finally got the freedom he wanted from the obligations of knighthood, the name Beoulve, and the Church of Glabados.

Elpizo
05-11-2007, 07:17 PM
It's weird. I saw that part of the ending accidentaly on Youtube, and suddenly I lost all interest in finishing FFT. Don't know why. Maybe it was one murder too much. Matsuno really slaughtered off everybody in FFT, except for Delita. There's no goodguy that really has a happy ending (I mean, for all we know, Ramza's party is in heaven). While it is original and cool in some way, I still didn't like it. One person too much who we saw dying, I guess.

I know I should finish it, and I loved what I've played so far (I'm just at the beginning of chapter 4). It's only one more chapter, and yet... The ending bugs me too much. But maybe if I play through Chapter 4, I'll understand it better?

BG-57
05-12-2007, 02:14 PM
The fate of Ramza's followers in uncertain, so it's legitimate to assume that they survived and went underground like Ramza and Alma. I always hoped that he hooked up with Meliadoul; he deserves some happiness after all he went through.

It's a sad ending, but it's still a game worth playing.

VeloZer0
05-15-2007, 01:19 AM
The FFT ending is quite possibly my favorite ending of any game/movie/book. I remember the first time I beat it I just sat there for a few minutes in stunned silence thinking ''wow, I can't believe they did that'. It is open enough for you to believe that they lived or died. I like endings that leave it open enough to wonder, but keep the choices to two or three outcomes so that each is well developed and plausable. (I feel the ending where they all die is the far superior one). Having everyone live happily ever after would just ruin the entire tone of the game up until that point.

Likewise we have another big question with the whole Delitia/Ovelia situation. Though many people see this as a confirmation that Delitia has become a 'bad guy' I see it in a far different manner. Delitia and Ramza are both heroes, and the game shows just what you get for being a hero.
Ramza saved Ivalice from Lucavi, and in turn was ostracized from society and ultimately ended up dying in a selfless struggle to save the world.
Delitia ultimately sold his soul to become king and be in a position to save Ivalice from itself, and in return lost himself and anyone he could ever call a loved one/friend. He saved Ivalice but ultimately lost everything himself.
Both are tragic heroes in my eyes, which is what makes the story so powerful.

Gilthanes
05-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Ramza saved Ivalice from Lucavi, and in turn was ostracized from society and ultimately ended up dying in a selfless struggle to save the world.

He didnt die, unless you got a game over :p

It was a selfless struggle and he got no thanks for doing it all. But he did fake his death and go into exile with Alma. I imagine they (and whatever companions you still had) left that area of Ivalice and just lived a regular life

As far as Delita goes, from what I understand his reign was a good one... Despite his questionable rise to power (lets face it, most of it was down right dirty). He manipulated alot, but had he not been the one to stand up at the end and take control, someone worse (or nobody at all, total anarchy) would have. Sometimes the ends justifies the means, people forget all the messed up stuff that was happening whether or not Delita took advantage of the situation. Delita wasnt manipulating the war, just the people who were.

Ramza took care of the evil monsters and all that, but Delita took care of the area politically. They were both important in bringing about a happy ending, Ramza just got the short end of the stick on the fame. Had Delita not actually thought Ramza was dead, I bet he would have tried to clear his name (I wonder why Ramza didnt let Delita know)

Wolf Kanno
05-16-2007, 07:28 AM
The FFT ending is quite possibly my favorite ending of any game/movie/book. I remember the first time I beat it I just sat there for a few minutes in stunned silence thinking ''wow, I can't believe they did that'. It is open enough for you to believe that they lived or died. I like endings that leave it open enough to wonder, but keep the choices to two or three outcomes so that each is well developed and plausable. (I feel the ending where they all die is the far superior one). Having everyone live happily ever after would just ruin the entire tone of the game up until that point.

Likewise we have another big question with the whole Delitia/Ovelia situation. Though many people see this as a confirmation that Delitia has become a 'bad guy' I see it in a far different manner. Delitia and Ramza are both heroes, and the game shows just what you get for being a hero.
Delitia ultimately sold his soul to become king and be in a position to save Ivalice from itself, and in return lost himself and anyone he could ever call a loved one/friend. He saved Ivalice but ultimately lost everything himself.
Both are tragic heroes in my eyes, which is what makes the story so powerful.

This is my thoughts exactly. It brings up the idea that being a hero is to be nothing more than a sacrifice for the people. I like Tactics for having a realistic ending. In the end, the world is better in some ways and worse in others.

Honestly, Ramza is such a complex character though, he's realistically portrayed as someone who fights for his own personal justice and was even willing to kill his own brothers and loose all face within society for his ideals and beliefs. You rarely see this in most "good" main characters.

He didnt die, unless you got a game over :p

It was a selfless struggle and he got no thanks for doing it all. But he did fake his death and go into exile with Alma. I imagine they (and whatever companions you still had) left that area of Ivalice and just lived a regular life

As far as Delita goes, from what I understand his reign was a good one... Despite his questionable rise to power (lets face it, most of it was down right dirty). He manipulated alot, but had he not been the one to stand up at the end and take control, someone worse (or nobody at all, total anarchy) would have. Sometimes the ends justifies the means, people forget all the messed up stuff that was happening whether or not Delita took advantage of the situation. Delita wasnt manipulating the war, just the people who were.

Ramza took care of the evil monsters and all that, but Delita took care of the area politically. They were both important in bringing about a happy ending, Ramza just got the short end of the stick on the fame. Had Delita not actually thought Ramza was dead, I bet he would have tried to clear his name (I wonder why Ramza didnt let Delita know)

History is filled with people who backstabbed there way to the top but are generally thought as good and just rulers. Delita really did just take advantage of a political plot that was beginning to unravel. If anything, Delita should be grateful that Ramza dealt with a few key figures that allowed him to obtain his goals.

Bolivar
06-13-2007, 12:18 AM

I guess that's what being a hero is all about.

I like to think my soldiers went on to become the first judges :cool: (except now we know FFT takes place after XII/TA (if it's a real world))

Orichalcon
06-15-2007, 09:03 AM
i loved Ramza's character and I don't know if it goes with it but even if Delita required understanding I was ready to throw him into Poeskas Lake :(

Sefie1999AD
06-17-2007, 12:45 AM
Hmm, it seems the general opinion has been that Ovelia's stabbing didn't really hurt Delita. I always thought he was fatally wounded after she stabbed him, and he probably died a few minutes after being stabbed. Didn't he seem severely injured when he was walking after being stabbed? I mean, didn't he even fall on his knees before the screen faded out?

Since Ramza and Alma made it back alive from hell, I always assumed the party members did the same as well. How did Ramza and Alma get back in the first place, though, since Rofel destroyed the entrance gate?

Lynx
06-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Hmm, it seems the general opinion has been that Ovelia's stabbing didn't really hurt Delita. I always thought he was fatally wounded after she stabbed him, and he probably died a few minutes after being stabbed. Didn't he seem severely injured when he was walking after being stabbed? I mean, didn't he even fall on his knees before the screen faded out?

Since Ramza and Alma made it back alive from hell, I always assumed the party members did the same as well. How did Ramza and Alma get back in the first place, though, since Rofel destroyed the entrance gate?

delita might have looked wounded but no one would walk to well after having to kill someone they loved (assumeing he did love her). maybe he was walking weird from a wound or maybe he was walking weird from a broken heart. all though delita is always manipulating and useing people doesnt neccesarily mean he wasn't in love with ovelia.

also it was never revealed whether ramza, alma and the rest died or not. maybe that was just olans imagination. maybe ramza saw that he wasnt needed anymore and decided to pull a kenshin and become a wanderer.

delita being the only one alive makes it an interesting ending. because in the end he's all alone. takes its lonely at the top to a whole new level.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-03-2007, 11:49 PM
I always assumed Delita was seriously injured by the wound as well, perhaps not life threatening but at least something that put him in bed for a while. Also, if Delita died then and there, there would be no one to succeed him, since there is no mention of an heir. It is interesting that Ovelia stabs him for being manipulated, since he did break his promise that he would not (he even swore by Teta). I had always thought that during the stabbing scene that Delita was about to kill Olivia (to completely avoid any obstacles in his way) and Ovelia had found out so she decided to kill him before he killed her. From what I read here, I am thinking I got the wrong impression.

Delita is an interesting character, in a way much similar to MacBeth. Both honourable men to begin with (though MacBeth was already nobility) but succumb to ambition and lose themselves in the process. Ultimately, both become what they loathe most.

FFT is one of the best example of the biasness of history and how it tends to be written by "winners". Delita goes down in history for he is the "hero" who saves Ivalice, Ramza becomes forgotten as he is labelled a heretic and subsequently disappears from the face of the earth (at first literally, then later goes underground).

I think the main theme to FFT would be appearance vs. reality since there are many examples where this clash. First, Ramza's own perception of his brothers and the later revelation of their true intentions; second, the whole treatment of Ramza and Delita in history; third, St. Ajora's own life. There are probably more as well. A consequence of this theme is the two-sides-of-the-story idea, where there is the historically accepted side and the hidden truth (e.g. Delita's fame-Ramza's obscurity; St. Ajora's saintliness-Ajora as a spy/rebel). There is a nice contrast that plays throughout the game.

For all these reasons and more it make FFT one of my favourite, if not my favourite, Final Fantasy game. The battle system just plain rocks as well.

((EDIT: I almost feel like I am so close to breaking out into an essay format with this...))

Kefka_Almighty
07-05-2007, 06:49 AM
You know....people keep talking about this scene, and I never remember seeing it. When does it occur in the game, as I don't recall it even occuring after the credits roll.

BG-57
07-05-2007, 03:59 PM
It's after the credits are over. It's easy to miss.

Lynx
07-11-2007, 06:07 PM
It's after the credits are over. It's easy to miss.

true i beat the game like 5 years before i had ever even seen the scene. a friend of mine told me so i went and rebeat it. its a very interesting scene too, sums up delita's life.

VeloZer0
07-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Personally I've gotten to the point I feel ripped of if there isn't something after waiting though the credits of a game.

Basic123s
07-17-2007, 09:51 PM

My thoughts exactly. I still believe that Delita died minutes after Ovelia stabbed him.

And I want him to die. That's what he gets for manipulating so many people, INCLUDING poor Ovelia.

Ramza Beoulve
07-17-2007, 10:49 PM

My thoughts exactly. I still believe that Delita died minutes after Ovelia stabbed him.

And I want him to die. That's what he gets for manipulating so many people, INCLUDING poor Ovelia.
Actually, I think that living and living alone is the worst nightmare that Delita deserves, and also the only consecuences of his doings. Death is too good for him, and he knows it.

BG-57
07-18-2007, 07:42 PM
That's the one advantage of an ambiguous ending; you can draw your own conclusions.

Ramza Beoulve
07-18-2007, 07:53 PM
That's the one advantage of an ambiguous ending; you can draw your own conclusions.True :)

Bolivar
07-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Death is too good for him, and he knows it.

wow, that's a :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull:ed up (and deep) conclusion, g. but then again tactics is one deep game that has so much to offer with its storyline, including this awesome ending.

Ramza Beoulve
07-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Death is too good for him, and he knows it.

wow, that's a :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull:ed up (and deep) conclusion, g. but then again tactics is one deep game that has so much to offer with its storyline, including this awesome ending.I know, Tactics is just one of the most enjoyable games there are, and as already said, you can find here two stories, about two heroes, but different beliefs

Shikaru-Kuto
07-30-2007, 12:52 AM
I think that Delita's ways were justified only bc he wanted to make things better....only thing he was going about it just alittle differently than most ppl would. From Day 1 both him and ramza were used for any bidding and any purpose. So without hesitation he used this same method to get himself into power....how he reigned over the land is questionable and hopefully will come into light with the new FFT for PSP which is already the number one game in Japan.

Demon Lancer
07-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Nah get over it he did it just to kill Algus's spirit in the head, since he said commoners will never become nobles he doesn't care about power. xD