PDA

View Full Version : Levelling up methods!

Fynn
04-25-2007, 10:35 PM
So I started a new game (I was waaaaaay underlevelled in the Phon Coast) and tried a different approach ata levelling up. I noticed how you gain less experience per each character in a party. So I decided to level up single characters in the Lhusu Mines (Larsa is a great help with his free hi-potions) and I like it better that way :D Even though in the end it's all the same, this way seems a little less tedious than the normal one.

So which one do you guys prefer?

Discuss!

Xurts
04-25-2007, 11:06 PM
I level with a full party. They get less EXP, but I've never had a problem with it.

Renmiri
04-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I level up in places I get gil, with my full party. 2 birds with one stone :D

Sergeant Hartman
04-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Embroided tippet all the way.

leader of mortals
04-26-2007, 09:42 PM
I level up with one person because I like to see results

Cap'n Basch
04-27-2007, 06:07 AM
So I started a new game (I was waaaaaay underlevelled in the Phon Coast) and tried a different approach ata levelling up. I noticed how you gain less experience per each character in a party. So I decided to level up single characters in the Lhusu Mines (Larsa is a great help with his free hi-potions) and I like it better that way Even though in the end it's all the same, this way seems a little less tedious than the normal one.

Larsa is also stealing some of your EXP.

I level single characters at a time when I'm chaining things for loot but normally raise them all at once somewhere like the Henne mines. Single character levelling is good for catching someone up when they've fallen behind, but it's not really faster as a method for levelling the full party (doing it one at the time you will spend roughly the same length of time as you would have with a full party anyway).

Fynn
04-27-2007, 06:22 AM
I know it takes the same time, but it's like leader of mortals said - I like to see results. It's just that the levels are more often and it feels more rewarding... At least for me! I'm not saying everybody HAS to like it, but I'm just happy that I finally found a level-up method that seems lighter for me. ;)

Larsa steals some XP? How much? I thought guests don't level. I levelled Vaan from Lv. 9 to Lv.15, Balthier, too and Larsa is still on level ten. You sure bout that?

Renmiri
04-27-2007, 06:43 PM
When you kill a monster with Larsa in your party of 2, he will take some of the EXP for him but he won't level up.

Fynn
04-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Well, I checked his stats and his total XP. does not grow after beating monsters,,,

Hazzard
04-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Larsa never stole any EXP from me, and it didn't really threaten the training method, of my team.

Shiva_
04-28-2007, 05:13 PM
^ Whenever you have a guest character, the total experience points you obtain from a battle is divided by 4 (as opposed to 3 when you have your normal three-ally party). Each of your characters then get that divided portion. Therefore, each of them ends up with less exp with a guest character than he would otherwise if you have your normal three-ally party.

So if you want to chain foes in order to level up, it's best to wait until your guest character leaves your party.

If you're chaining foes for loot to obtain gil, ingredients for high-end weapons, etc., you can cast Break on your guest character and temporarily put him in Stone status. This way, he won't end up breaking your chains. The gambits of guest characters are generally set to attack any foe in sight.

manudude02
04-30-2007, 11:34 AM
The 3 main methods for me are:

When Penelo leaves your party after Giza Plains, get as many phoenix downs as possible. Go to the Dalmasca Westersand, reduce Vaan's HP to under 10% and take the north exit. Dustias will now appear. Just use a phoenix down to get over 1000 exp, very good for that early. If you want to chain them, you must get out of that area before the LP and EXP are displayed.

After you beat Judge Bergen, talk to the acolyte outside to get some item. Go to the Stilshrine of Miriam and to the back of the entrance room. Use the item to go to a secret area. Go through the door and you will have to fight an optional esper. It's not tough, and when you beat it, undead monsters appear in that room where you can gain 300-500 exp per monster (using 3 ally party). These respawn very quickly with little action needed.

Undoubtedly the best levelling up spot in the game, but requires quite a high level (65+ is recommended). It also requires you to have killed at least 10 espers. Go to Jahara village and speak to the Geomancer (second screen). Now go to Henne Mines and use the gate to take a big shortcut to where you fought the boss. Go forward (east) to go into the secret area on Henne Mines. The place is covered with abysteels with around 20k HP. Use sleep(ga) to put them asleep and then curaja to kill them. Keep going until you reach another gateswitch room (like the room where the jellies drop in the storyline). Press the switch to get 10 abysteels to drop (with about 10 more following eventually). These give over 3000 exp each (with 3 ally party) and thats WITHOUT embroidered tippets. Mulitiply that by 20 to find you get about 60000 exp per round (120k with ETs). The quickest way of respawning them is to take the only exit available and taking the first left and then go back. With practice, you can get millions of exp per hour.

JAS4Yeshua
05-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I try to raise my party evenly. I have a group of three, and once they level up, I switch to my other group of three.

Early in the game, I stayed in whatever area I was in as long as I could leveling up. I just wandered around areas that were open to me, killing monsters.

As more areas and more hunts opened up, I started wandering, chasing down the hunts and the optional side quests. I never used chocobos or teleport stones, in order to gain the loot and experience.

Currently, my party is 68th level. I've done every hunt available to me except the Behemoth King (haven't had time to make it appear) and I've only done half of the fight against Gilgamesh. My next location will be the "tower on the distant shore" (I forget the name right now). Just not liking that my experience is a little less due to Reddas being in the party.

One other thing that is helpful is equipping the entire party with the item that doubles experience. (I'm bad with names)

Renmiri
05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Ridorana. You will do fine. I finished the game at level 64. Gilgamesh 2 can be done in upper 40s, the hard part is leaving the mines alive after it.

The Pharos at Ridorana is a great place to level up when you are at that high of a level

JAS4Yeshua
05-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I figured I'm at a level where I could safely complete the game, I just want to venture into the side areas, where the monster levels are in the 60s, as well as try to complete every single hunt and side quest. Don't know if I'll succeed in that or not, but it'll be fun trying. ;)

Oh, and I didn't complete the second half of the Gilgamesh fight because of the strength of the monsters on the way. I'll probably go back soon.

JAS4Yeshua
05-01-2007, 08:59 PM
One thing I thought of about leveling, breaking a group apart, so you only have one person at a time, doesn't make much sense to me. Here's why:

Say you get 300XP for one monster when you have one person in a group. Each person would have to kill the same monster once, so that they each get 300XP. That would be three encounters with the monster. Yet, if you have a party of 3, everyone gets 100XP for killing the monster. To get the 300XP, you still have to kill three of the same monster. In otherwords, no matter which way you do it, you still have to kill about the same number of monsters in order to keep everyone at approximately the same level.

Renmiri
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Yeah but one guy gets levels faster. I don't like it because then I have to start all over with the other guys, but some people do.

BTW, don't post twice in a row, just use the "Edit" link and add to your post, OK ? A mod might nail you for double posting

Shattered Dreamer
05-18-2007, 12:27 AM
I have noticed Basch tends to level up slower than the other characters. My party consists of Vaan at level 68 and the rest at 53. I favour rotating the other characters & keeping Vaan there all the time & its worked well I have 11 espers, Gilgamesh part 1 done, 4 other hunts left & only the events in the Bahamut left in the story.