PDA

View Full Version : This has nothing to do with the elections and everything to do with staff duties.

Loony BoB
04-26-2007, 10:36 AM
What would you expect of a forums staffer once they are promoted to the job? How active should they be? Should they have obligations which must be met, or face demotion? Should they post a certain amount of times, or would that depend on other things? Is it a 'must' that they discuss staff issues in the staff forum, or can they leave that to others while just getting on with the moderating?

Get into as much detail as you like.

Baloki
04-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Oh wow BoB, what drama you have created here.....

And this proves why Yams is greater then you :(

NeoCracker
04-26-2007, 10:54 AM
YAMS For Senior Site Staff!

But seriously, they should do what they can, not more then they need to. No need to let an admin job interfere with personal life. If they really can't do their job here and have a life, demote them. They probably won't mind. But so long as they contribute, let them be and do their job.

Given I'm half asleep, I'll assume that came out how I wanted it to.

Go YAms!

Loony BoB
04-26-2007, 11:08 AM

This isn't me creating drama, this is me asking a question to get a better idea of what people think of what a staffer should do. Your post seems off topic. :)

Rostum
04-26-2007, 11:14 AM
You know, I have no idea what a staff member does other than ban people.

o_O
04-26-2007, 11:16 AM
There's a certain amount of elitism a staff member is entitled to, so I don't think they are required to post often. There's a kind of enigmatic presence whenever a not-so-active staff member posts, and that comes with the title.

They should be a trusted member of the community. They should also moderate, but really, who's to police that other than the other mods and admins? It's not like there's going to be a mutiny of members over it. :p

Mirage
04-26-2007, 11:38 AM
I think it's more important that they're logged in quite a bit, than how much they post, and I expect them to be impartial and observant. I also expect them to be a bit flexible.

I think it's important that they involve themselves with important topics brought up in the staff forum, so that these issues wouldn't be decided by say, just half of the staff.

KentaRawr!
04-26-2007, 12:29 PM
A staffer is to appreciate rules, but also the meaning of a forum these days. Being absolute idiots, and yet debating like smartz peoplez. :) If two or three joke-threads pop up, then they shalt be closed! If only one, then it will be the forum's source of funzorz. If a debate gets off-topic and personal, then <del>kill them all</del> close the thread! But if they STAY on topic, leave it open!

If somebody is awesome and breaks rules, don't ban them. >_>

Firo Volondé
04-26-2007, 01:29 PM
I consider Staffers to be like politicians. That is, we can bitch about them and make jokes all we want, and they can't do a thing about it otherwise we'll kick them out of Parliament, the old fashioned way: voting.

Bunny
04-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Bake cookies.

Pretty much the only thing a good staff member has to do is know what they should be doing. They should be able to answer any questions about their job, and in a timely manner as well, and should be open to talk or dicuss problems that members are having with an open mind. You know, not just look at their PM box and go "oh great someone is bitching again."

But seriously, can I get some cookies? Chocolate Chip please.

Christmas
04-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Nah, Cid barely post and people STILL wet their pants when he does so. :bigsmile:

theundeadhero
04-26-2007, 02:16 PM
As long as they're around long enough to notice rules being broken without needing a warn message, act on that, and participate in staff decisions they might be okay.

eternalshiva
04-26-2007, 03:06 PM
I think site staff that have been demoted and re-promoted should have their names underlined like all the other staffers in the "who's online"

/certainlyisn'tpointingathername

>__________________>

Jowy
04-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Regularly posting, attributing to staff decisions, trying to do things for the site, communicating with the members, and not specifically picking favorites amongst members (though I do like being a well-respected member~!) Also, knowing how to properly use the Mod/Admin CP is another qualification which I think should be necessary.

Loony BoB
04-26-2007, 03:32 PM
I think site staff that have been demoted and re-promoted should have their names underlined like all the other staffers in the "who's online"

/certainlyisn'tpointingathername

>__________________>

If you're on Site Staff, you should have that working.

Cz
04-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Presumably, staffers are chosen because they've proven themselves to be active, responsible members of the forums. If that's the case, then they shouldn't have to change their behaviour. As for whether they should feel obligated to participate in staff discussions, I don't think that's very fair. People shouldn't have to feel that EoFF is 'work', and if they don't want to get involved, then they shouldn't have to.

escobert
04-26-2007, 04:45 PM
They need to be around the forums, getting to know members and such. Also actual posts don't really matter I mean :skull::skull::skull::skull: look at roogle he never posts anymore but he's around and everyone knows he's around.I think as long as they work with the site and are atleast doing something then it should be fine. But when someone (slup :p) is admin and does nothing all day they should just be banned.

Old Manus
04-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Internet Moderators. Serious business.

I don't see why forums staff should turn into drill instructors as soon as they have some sort of power. At the end, they're here for the fun of it like everyone else.

Loony BoB
04-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Presumably, staffers are chosen because they've proven themselves to be active, responsible members of the forums. If that's the case, then they shouldn't have to change their behaviour. As for whether they should feel obligated to participate in staff discussions, I don't think that's very fair. People shouldn't have to feel that EoFF is 'work', and if they don't want to get involved, then they shouldn't have to.
This isn't so much about what they should be doing on day one so much as what they should be doing on day 1000. In other words, obviously sometimes staffers will drop in their activity. When is the activity considered too low? What happens if they lose the positives that they once had when they were recruited?

XxSephirothxX
04-26-2007, 05:19 PM
I think posting tons is somewhat of a bad qualification for choosing a staffer. It's not like it's awful, but it's quite possible for someone to read tons of threads and be a perfect candidate for moderation, but not post in every single thread they look at. :p

Anyway, ideally I think they should post a decent amount, contribute to discussions and decisions about members and the future of the site, etc. But I think once you choose someone for that position, you're showing that you really respect their responsibility and decision-making ability, so a lot of that stuff isn't necessary. I think it would be okay if they didn't post a lot if they promoted valid ideas and regularly weighed in on important issues.

After all, that's why we still keep Mullet around! :monster:

Miriel
04-26-2007, 05:21 PM
I agree with Bunny.

Staffers should just bake tons and tons of cookies for the benefit of Eyeson forum members. :up:

Bunny
04-26-2007, 05:22 PM
I agree with Bunny.

Staffers should just bake tons and tons of cookies for the benefit of Eyeson forum members. :up:

This is why you are my favorite. I bestow upon you.. a certificate for one free Bunny hug.

Flying Mullet
04-26-2007, 05:23 PM
I agree with Bunny.

Only if they're peanut butter cookies. :drool:

Christmas
04-26-2007, 05:24 PM

I don't see why forums staff should turn into drill instructors as soon as they have some sort of power. At the end, they're here for the fun of it like everyone else.

Someone hacked into LITTLE MANUS' account.:(

Old Manus
04-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Someone hacked into LITTLE MANUS' account.:(goddamn it

eternalshiva
04-26-2007, 05:34 PM
/derails

am I supposed to be able to see it for myself? cause I used to be able to see the line. Then I got kicked ; ; and now no line for moi *attaches*

Bunny
04-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I don't see a line either.

P.S. Peanut butter cookies are fine. I just want some cookies plz.

eternalshiva
04-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I don't see a line either.

P.S. Peanut butter cookies are fine. I just want some cookies plz.

Yay I'm not insane! :cookie:

Ninja edit: I'm the first to admit that I stopped doing Staff work for 2 years and was rightly so dropped as staff because I didn't do nuffin. Being sucked in FFXI made me not want to code lawl and now I'm sick of end game! soooo here I am again!

Cz
04-26-2007, 05:42 PM
This isn't so much about what they should be doing on day one so much as what they should be doing on day 1000. In other words, obviously sometimes staffers will drop in their activity. When is the activity considered too low? What happens if they lose the positives that they once had when they were recruited?I don't have any problem with staffers being inactive, even for months at a time, so long as there are enough people to take care of the everyday running of the forums. I don't think having one or two staffers who rarely post hurts EoFF at all, anyway. On the other hand, if someone's abusing their power or acting stupidly, then the rest of the staff have the right to demote them. If someone's fooling around that much, they probably won't miss their position anyway.

oddler
04-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Someone hacked into LITTLE MANUS' account.:(goddamn it

Well, who was it? I agree with them... :(

Bunny
04-26-2007, 05:44 PM
This isn't so much about what they should be doing on day one so much as what they should be doing on day 1000. In other words, obviously sometimes staffers will drop in their activity. When is the activity considered too low? What happens if they lose the positives that they once had when they were recruited?I don't have any problem with staffers being inactive, even for months at a time, so long as there are enough people to take care of the everyday running of the forums. I don't think having one or two staffers who rarely post hurts EoFF at all, anyway. On the other hand, if someone's abusing their power or acting stupidly, then the rest of the staff have the right to demote them. If someone's fooling around that much, they probably won't miss their position anyway.

Eh, I dunno. I figure that since the person is in a position of relative authority, they should be around just a little bit here and there. If they wanna take a break or whatnot, that's cool, just let the other guys know something. "Hey yeah, I'm not gonna be around for ________ reason." Just up and disappearing without any word for three weeks or more at a time is just kinda strange. Unless, you know, your computer explodes. That's an okay reason for your disappearing.

Loony BoB
04-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Fixed the eternalshiva problem.

eternalshiva
04-26-2007, 06:35 PM
XD lol thanks <3 <3 <3

Baloki
04-26-2007, 10:53 PM

This isn't me creating drama, this is me asking a question to get a better idea of what people think of what a staffer should do. Your post seems off topic. :)

You seem off topic, I suggest you ban Psychotic.

Doomie
04-26-2007, 10:56 PM
They should have a small say in the staff forums, and must moderate while they are online. We don't expect staff members to be here 24/7. They have lives too, you know.

Yamaneko
04-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Don't believe him. He is trying to start drama.

Cz
04-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Don't believe him. He is trying to start drama.Conflict among the staff!?! :o

Roogle
04-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, you know, it has to happen sometime.

Tavrobel
04-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Is it a 'must' that they discuss staff issues in the staff forum, or can they leave that to others while just getting on with the moderating?

How about they actually log on once they are promoted, and do something.

Even if behind the scenes, where it is less obvious, there is still impact on the outside world. And I'll tell you there is very little impact, and there is very little outside effort on the whole of the Staff.

Roogle
04-27-2007, 12:52 AM
How much influence do you believe that the maintainers of the community should have upon the entire userbase, Tavrobel?

Tavrobel
04-27-2007, 01:01 AM
It's not influence on the people, it's influence on the working of the community and the site itself.

Roogle
04-27-2007, 01:16 AM
I agree with that, then.

Do you, or any other users, have any specific suggestions or recommendations?

Iceglow
04-27-2007, 01:18 AM
What would you expect of a forums staffer once they are promoted to the job? How active should they be? Should they have obligations which must be met, or face demotion? Should they post a certain amount of times, or would that depend on other things? Is it a 'must' that they discuss staff issues in the staff forum, or can they leave that to others while just getting on with the moderating?

On another site I'm staff so I understand this topic better than some will. There are levels of input required for all staff if someone is given the responsibility and power and then shuns or abuses it they ought to have it removed. Also on the site that I work on there is a moderation section where we report all moderated posts (via quote and copy pasting the original message) and put what we did about it in to I should think that especially for EoEo that eoff would have similar? This is so that a problematic poster can be spoken about and punnished accordingly also then if they approach another admin it is easily checked as to what they said.

On another scale, BoB why the emo topic about staff?

Psychotic
04-27-2007, 01:23 AM
A staff member should truly care about EoFF, and try to make it a better place. That's it.

Yamaneko
04-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Too hard. Make it easier. How about a staff member gets promoted and he/she posts in the FVIII forum with, "FFVIII sux lol!"?

Psychotic
04-27-2007, 01:37 AM
Too easy. Make it rofl instead of lol, and you're on.

Miriel
04-27-2007, 01:43 AM
It's not funny that FFVIII sucks, it's really a tragedy.

It should be more like, "wtf??? ffviii sux!!"

Tavrobel
04-27-2007, 03:01 AM
I think I realized the problem with no drama.

ShlupQuack has largely been MIA.

Shoeberto
04-27-2007, 03:08 AM
I'm in agreement with that we need to remain both observant as well as posting spam in FFVIII.

Shlup
04-27-2007, 03:11 AM
That's it, BoB. You are being charged with treason; it's the gallows for you.

Jowy
04-27-2007, 03:14 AM
I agree with that, then.

Do you, or any other users, have any specific suggestions or recommendations?

Jowy for IRC admin. 8-)

CimminyCricket
04-27-2007, 05:04 AM
I suggest a bi-weekly fight between staffers. Similar in make and style of Mortal Kombat. And then a new staffer is selected from a list of acceptable candidates.

After the first few fights, the staffers will be selected from the most violent gruesome sons a bitches out there.

Roogle
04-27-2007, 05:18 AM
I have a fighting game similar in design to Street Fighter Alpha 3 with staff members of Eyes on Final Fantasy. ;)

Awrini
04-27-2007, 05:45 AM
Daniel got dumped by Danielle, true story. =p

Baloki
04-27-2007, 09:33 AM
There was once a man from nantucket...

Levian
04-27-2007, 09:40 AM
A staff member should truly care about EoFF, and try to make it a better place. That's it.

QFMFT

I've always wanted to quote something for truth anyway, it seems so rad when everyone else does it.

Loony BoB
04-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Daniel got dumped by Danielle, true story. =p
You wish. 8-) She's coming back to my place today! :D Have missed her.

You ain't seen treason yet, Squeak.

Christmas
04-27-2007, 10:09 AM

QFMFT

I've always wanted to quote something for truth anyway, it seems so rad when everyone else does it.

Yes, Levian alway do care for EoFF (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=43830) and do his very best (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=60868) to make it a better place (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=63801). :bigsmile:

Levian
04-27-2007, 10:20 AM
I hope your account won't mysteriously disappear in the next server move. :bigsmile:

theundeadhero
04-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Every one of those threads were cool though.

eternalshiva
04-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Admins should bring back the chocobos on the boards! down with the pages things. it's f'n ugly.

Fonzie
04-27-2007, 01:20 PM
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7246/untitledzh2zi7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Seriously though, staff members should be intelligent posters, who are nice.

Jess
04-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I think that once somebody is on staff they should be atleast somewhat active, otherwise there is no point them even being on staff. :jess:

I don't think it matters so much about posting in the Staff forum unless they have any issues with what is being discussed, but if they want to just stay out of the conversations and just get on with moderating then it shouldn't really matter as long as they're doing what they're supposed to be doing! :jess:

Shoeberto
04-27-2007, 10:57 PM
I have a fighting game similar in design to Street Fighter Alpha 3 with staff members of Eyes on Final Fantasy. ;)
Funny, I have a mod for a little Japanese import called "Super Kire Rape Bunny 3" that's similar.

Quina
04-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Staff members should have more second accounts.

Peegee
04-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Being a blue means you get to do whatever you want.

I expect random bannings and frequent unbannings and random acts of terrorism.