PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player updates

PhoenixAsh
04-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Okay Windows Media Player keeps installing version 11, and I don't want it to. I keep uninstalling it, and it keeps reinstalling it. I've tried telling it to only look for updates once a month but it seems reluctant to listen. Anyone know how to stop it?

Thanks

Discord
04-27-2007, 08:08 PM
You can actually run the version 6 of it. It should be in C>Program Files>Windows Media Player folder. The only problem is that it doesn't have the codecs and I'm not sure it's actually compatible with the newer ones at all.

PhoenixAsh
04-28-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm happy to stick with version ten... I can get it to run it after I uninstall, but it reinstalls 11 when i turn my computer off again...

Discord
04-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Meh, Updates with MS are hard to block. I seriously have no clue how you could do that without removing the codec update feature. Perhaps I can help you with v. 11 though?

ValiantKnight
04-28-2007, 11:59 PM
I sorta deny mine its internet access when it asks for it via my firewall, but it doesn't ask that often. I have version 10

Baloki
04-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Tools > Options > Don't look for updates

Then also run Windows Update by going to Microsoft Windows Update (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) > click custom > find the Windows Media Player 11 update and tell it not to show you the update again, download any random update and it shouldn't install again.