PDA

View Full Version : I'm hot. Your not.

Jessweeee♪
04-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Those are words I read off of a shirt that belongs to a girl in my Gym class. Notice how it says "your" and not "you're" as if you own the "not," and aren't simply being it.

I try not to bug people too much about grammar, but when you make a shirt, shouldn't you check your spelling and such? I also noticed this in a novel I was reading, a NOVEL! It was a good book, but writers should know the difference.

Your= Possesive
You're=You are

Chakan the forever man
04-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Those are words I read off of a shirt that belongs to a girl in my Gym class. Notice how it says "your" and not "you're" as if you own the "not," and aren't simply being it.

I try not to bug people too much about grammar, but when you make a shirt, shouldn't you check your spelling and such? I also noticed this in a novel I was reading, a NOVEL! It was a good book, but writers should know the difference.

Your= Possesive
You're=You are
Don't be a grammar nazi.

Remon
04-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Does that really matter :p

Jessweeee♪
04-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Everyone else is doing it :(

Anaisa
04-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Why is everyone suddenly obsessed with impeccable grammar? It's a really, really, dull thing to obsess over. I think you've got be obsessive compulsive to care as much about grammar as some do. The place for perfect grammar is on an English test. Other than that, if somethings not uncomfortable to read, why does it matter? An if you find something uncomfortable to read because an apostrophe is out of place, or somebodys used "your" when they should of used "you're", you need help.

Christmas
04-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Me no think, me grammar good good. me 1337. :bigsmile:

CimminyCricket
04-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Grammar is one of the most important things out there, if you're applying for a job and you can't speak well or write well, and there's someone else with the same amount of skill as you, who do you think they're going to pick?

Chemical
04-28-2007, 01:24 PM
maybe this t-shirt grants the user with the magical ability to control humidity.

Anaisa
04-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Grammar is one of the most important things out there, if you're applying for a job and you can't speak well or write well, and there's someone else with the same amount of skill as you, who do you think they're going to pick?It could be either, if they have the same amount of skill as you. :tongue: That's a situation when you could be judged on your grammar, so therefore it's important. But it's not important to be concerned with grammar mistakes in various places that hold no importance to you. That's just pointless.

jc
04-28-2007, 02:05 PM
I think you should all be forced to read the writing in the "Writer's Corner" and then reevaluate your opinions.

Breine
04-28-2007, 02:08 PM
It just shows that she's the one who's "not".

Peter_20
04-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Actually, mixing up "your" with "you're" IS pretty serious.

It's another case if you go general like "it ain't no good" or "this don't appeal to me" and the like, but "your" and "you're" are two COMPLETELY different types of words!

"Give me the pens over there, please."
"Give me the penis over there, please."

:rolleyes2

Odaisé Gaelach
04-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Bloody 'eck, they're two different words with two different meanings! It's not hard to remember the difference between them!

On a t-shirt related note:
Knife-wrench! (http://www.zazzle.com/product/235589980630918019)

Acid Raine
04-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Glad Im not the only one this bugs. Things like "your not" just make me cringe.

Punctuation fascists irritate me, though. I use commas and periods, but only out of habit. If someone tells me to use an apostrophe I look down and spit on the ground every time their name gets mentioned.

Peter_20
04-28-2007, 05:20 PM
I constantly use semi-colons, even in Swedish where they aren't half as common as in English; but I don't exaggerate them too much. :p

Tavrobel
04-28-2007, 05:36 PM
The only person she is insulting is herself.

Anyways, grammar usually does not bug me, but with public figures or mass produced wastes of money, yes, grammar is important. But if you're a fan of self-deprecating humor, go for it.

Hazzard
04-28-2007, 05:45 PM
She probably got the shirt from Primark, and wrote it herself.

Proxy
04-28-2007, 05:49 PM

Your= Possesive
You're=You are
Don't be a grammar nazi.

On the flip side. Be a grammar Nazi. it's much more fun, and perhaps might make this world a little bit more intelligent. Keep it up, and whenever you see someone that has fucked up, tell them, cause they deserve to know. Also, don't forget to throw in an insult.

Xander
04-28-2007, 06:30 PM
I think grammar and spelling are really important! So I guess I can be a bit of a nazi, always correcting and telling people off! XD I try and say it nicely, but its usually when I'm dealing with stuff at work cos I think it's important to be professional. That shirt sounds stupid to begin with even if it had correct grammar <3

Online I never write perfectly anyway, and I never use punctuation/apostrophes/caps properly so it doesnt bother me if other people do!

The Jamie Star Scenario
04-28-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm hot. Your not. Aren't even proper sentences to be honest, then you mention the 'Your' and then my eyes bleed. I'm not to fussy about grammar and spelling on the internet as long as it is readable and not a bunch of leet speak but when you're making a t-shirt, I agree, you should atleast check your spelling and grammar!

Well atleast it didn't say "UR NOT!". That would make my eyes bleed.

abrojtm
04-28-2007, 07:57 PM
I constantly correct my friends' grammar mistakes. My roomie asked me "Where's my keys?" yesterday, to which I responded: "Where is your keys, or where <i>are</i> your keys?"

Zeldy
04-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Ive sometimes got "your" and "you're" wrong, as they are said the same, sometimes you just forget.

I see what you mean though, if its a bloody Tshirt.

~*~Celes~*~
04-28-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm a grammar nazi as well :P It can be annoying but then again, I have OCD, so that could be why I'm such a nazi about it.

Ko Ko
04-28-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm hot. Your not.

Ahh, another girl proving that not only is she not hot at all, but a trashy cooze with no ability to detect grammatical errors.

Sorry. Anyway, I, too, notice these things. I wish I didn't when there is a particularly egotistical teacher with an error written on the board.

Ouch!
04-28-2007, 08:22 PM
My cousin sends me essays he writes for his English classes. I edit them for fun. Take a wild guess as to how I feel about grammar.

That aside, I try not to force anything on other people, especially online. Unless someone's grammar and spelling is so absolutely terrible that I cannot understand what he or she is saying, I don't feel the need to point out trivial mistakes. It does, however, take a conscious effort not to make such corrections; sometimes I slip.

Araciel
04-28-2007, 08:23 PM
i have that shirt. but i never wear it cause it's not true. your hot.

Jess
04-28-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm not really too bothered about grammar. One thing that really annoys me though, is when people mispell "lose" as "loose". :confused:

Roto13
04-28-2007, 09:03 PM
In casual conversation online, perfect grammar isn't all that important.

I do think, if you're trying to make money off something, you should try to do it right. Come on, that t-shirt would be stupid enough without the blaring mistake on it. You don't see McDonalds saying "Have You Had You're Brake Today." You'd laugh at them.

Peter_20
04-28-2007, 09:23 PM
I've heard that English-speaking people sometimes say "you is", and while it definitely isn't proper grammar it IS easy to understand.

...whereas the whole "your not" thing just makes me feel sick. :eep:

Ouch!
04-28-2007, 09:29 PM
I've heard that English-speaking people sometimes say "you is", and while it definitely isn't proper grammar it IS easy to understand.
If someone learned English as her primary language and use "you is," sheobviously didn't learn the language very well. It's understandable for someone learning the language to make that mistake, but otherwise using the proper form of verb should be no less than second nature.

Zeldy
04-28-2007, 09:36 PM
If someone learned English as her primary language and use "you is," sheobviously didn't learn the language very well. It's understandable for someone learning the language to make that mistake, but otherwise using the proper form of verb should be no less than second nature.
If "you is" is ever used, its purely for comedy. "You izz well 'ard" or something like that. I've heard it being used.

sockmonkey
04-28-2007, 09:54 PM
What gets me is that so many people think this is some trivial, obscure, uber-geek thing instead of one of the fundamentals.

Look, if you have a car it's fine if you can't give it a tune-up yourself. Not all of us are mechanically minded. But, you need to at the very least know how to change a tire.

Likewise with language. The atomic mass of sodium may never come up again once you leave high school, but language is something you use your whole life.

jc
04-28-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm hot. Your not. Aren't even proper sentences to be honest, then you mention the 'Your' and then my eyes bleed. I'm not to fussy about grammar and spelling on the internet as long as it is readable and not a bunch of leet speak but when you're making a t-shirt, I agree, you should atleast check your spelling and grammar!

Well atleast it didn't say "UR NOT!". That would make my eyes bleed.

They are both proper sentences. (Well, the second one would be if it had that apostrophe.)

Anaisa
04-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Actually, mixing up "your" with "you're" IS pretty serious.

It's another case if you go general like "it ain't no good" or "this don't appeal to me" and the like, but "your" and "you're" are two COMPLETELY different types of words!

"Give me the pens over there, please."
"Give me the penis over there, please."

:rolleyes2What?! If somebody writes: "I'm hot your not" You know it should be "you're" rather than "your", so it makes no difference to the person reading it, it's hardly going to confuse them, so it's not important. However, if someone writes: "Give me the penis over there, please." When they meant to say: "Give me the pens over there, please." You wouldn't know what they were actually supposed to have written, so in no way is that comparable.

Nominus Experse
04-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Fuck the grammar. Was she hot?