PDA

View Full Version : Sony use slaughtered goat as promotion stunt

Dreddz
04-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Totally freakin awesome. (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23394277-details/Slaughter:%20Horror%20at%20Sony's%20depr aved%20promotion%20stunt%20with%20d%20ec apitated%20goat/article.do)

Renmiri
04-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Ewwww! This must be a joke!

Markus. D
04-30-2007, 11:37 PM
oh my dear lord~ Jack Thompson...

Tavrobel
04-30-2007, 11:44 PM
I can't wait till the "media" gets ahold of this.

Roto13
05-01-2007, 12:01 AM
That's horrible.

zorander
05-01-2007, 12:10 AM
The media has got a hold of it. Sony has been assaulted by critics and media alike for it's behaviour.

Tavrobel
05-01-2007, 12:15 AM
The media has got a hold of it. Sony has been assaulted by critics and media alike for it's behaviour.

I don't mean the media, I mean the media.

Shoeberto
05-01-2007, 01:04 AM
That's horrible.
qfmft

Spammerman
05-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Sony is bad ass. They play by their own set of rules.

Necronopticous
05-01-2007, 01:47 AM
It's like a magazine article from a parallel dimension where no one cares about morals.

KentaRawr!
05-01-2007, 02:04 AM
What would you do for a Klondike Bar? :p

NeoCracker
05-01-2007, 02:06 AM
You do realize this is the one Case JAck Thompson will have nothing to do with, simply because it would make sense to fight against something like this.

Roto13
05-01-2007, 02:09 AM
Apparently the goat was already dead when they got it.

Sony explains God of War's dead goat antics - Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/30/sony-explains-god-of-wars-dead-goat-antics/)

Slicksword45
05-01-2007, 02:45 AM
Apparently the goat was already dead when they got it.

Sony explains God of War's dead goat antics - Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/30/sony-explains-god-of-wars-dead-goat-antics/)

It's a shame noones going to read that.

Moon Rabbits
05-01-2007, 03:10 AM
That's horrible.
qfmft

Roto13
05-01-2007, 03:19 AM
You know, I don't know if using a goat from a butcher makes it a whole lot better. :P Either way, an animal was killed and used for an ad and not for food. (Do you think anyone is going to eat that party goat?)

Spammerman
05-01-2007, 03:21 AM
Just a quick question. Have any of you guys gone to a pork roast?

Slicksword45
05-01-2007, 03:22 AM
Just a quick question. Im assuming you guys have never been to a pork roast.

I have XD

Spammerman
05-01-2007, 03:38 AM
Just a quick question. Im assuming you guys have never been to a pork roast.

I have XD

I really want to see what the people who say this is downright bad would say at a pig roast. O god, the joy that would bring to the casuals there.

Roto13
05-01-2007, 03:39 AM
A pig roast is roasting and eating a pig, not decapitating it and playing with it for attention.

Spammerman
05-01-2007, 03:45 AM
A pig roast is roasting and eating a pig, not decapitating it and playing with it for attention.
At least they didnt stick a metal pipe through. And i mean, the goat is dead, its publicity, people get all disgusted but you dont think about it when your ordering your big mac at Mcdonalds(pointed to none-vegetarians)and yes, i know hamburger does not come from goats. Its publicity, and obviously, its working.

Roto13
05-01-2007, 03:47 AM
What are you on about? Every cow killed for McDonalds is killed to be eaten. Hell, you never see a cow in a McDonalds commercial. Unless McDonalds hamburgers are made from clowns.

Sephex
05-01-2007, 03:56 AM
What are you on about? Every cow killed for McDonalds is killed to be eaten. Hell, you never see a cow in a McDonalds commercial. Unless McDonalds hamburgers are made from clowns.

I think you are on to something, here...:cool:

black orb
05-01-2007, 04:01 AM
>>> Death goats and topless chicks..

Silly Sony. :D

Roto13
05-01-2007, 04:49 AM
I thought you said "topless chickens" and I was like "lol wut"

theundeadhero
05-01-2007, 05:40 AM
OH NO THEY KILLED A GOAT THAT'S SO HORRIBLE I'M GOING TO CALL PETA! :rolleyes2

Do you really care, or are you looking for something to whine about?

Roto13
05-01-2007, 05:42 AM
I'm all for killing for food, but there's a line and they crossed it. This is wrong in the same way running around in a chicken coop and stomping on chickens is wrong.

bipper
05-01-2007, 05:54 AM
(Do you think anyone is going to eat that party goat?)

can i sex it?

Germ Hamee
05-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Do you really care, or are you looking for something to whine about?

Well I care, anyway. Roto pretty much has it covered. Killing animals for food? Okay. But killing an animal to exploit and play with the body? That's not cool at all. They could've made something fake if they were really so insistent on having a dead goat on display. What they did was of no benefit to anyone but some drunk, sick little nerds.

Markus. D
05-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Furthermore, the infamous goat was thoroughly dead upon arrival. It was procured from a qualified butcher, was returned after the event and was never allowed to be touched by journalists (no kidding around). The goat was filled with "a meat soup, made to a traditional Greek recipe and served to attendees in china bowls direct from the caterers," leaving claims of "offal" as someone likely mishearing a complaint about the actual taste of the dish. No soup came directly from the goat.

This makes a hell of alot more sense. n_n-b

yay Sony~

theundeadhero
05-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Yay. Someone took the time to read the whole thing.

Captain Maxx Power
05-01-2007, 11:03 AM
I'd understand if Kratos actually killed and ate goats in GoW2, but contextually speaking it's not justified in the least making it even more odd.

Basically if you want this crap to stop then let us Europeans have the bloody games the same bloody time you do! You DO realise this is a protest right? We just haven't said so.

Discord
05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
It's still better then the Spanish toreadors, though rather weird for a geek meeting. I can already imagine the titles:

“Geeky Company (Sony (c (tm (r)))) sadistically murders an innocent goat to satisfy the bloodlust of their geeky customers.”

Spammerman
05-01-2007, 11:57 AM

I thought people were supposed to do that.

Captain Maxx Power
05-01-2007, 11:59 AM
“Geeky Company (Sony (c (tm (r)))) sadistically murders an innocent goat to satisfy the bloodlust of their geeky customers, unlike Nintendo, who we all love without question. LOL WII!.”

Fixed for truth-of-the-matterness.

Discord
05-01-2007, 12:12 PM

I didn't. The story is actually summed up in the first 2 sentences, the rest is the journalist's bauble.

Spammerman
05-01-2007, 12:18 PM

I didn't. The story is actually summed up in the first 2 sentences, the rest is the journalist's bauble.

Was talking about Tsukasa's quote.

JKTrix
05-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Couple of points for people who didn't read the article:

-The Magazine was recalled. It never reached 'normal' newsstand circulation, but people who subscribed to it already have it.

-This was not intended to be a public ad, instead it was an invite to a number of European press--none from the UK, where this magazine comes from.

Bad taste on the part of whoever decided to run that image in their mag, but they sure are feeling it now.

Given the product they were promoting, it's great. Definitely not something for the masses though, hence the recall once Sony got wind of it.

Maxico
05-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey guys, lets all take things The Daily Mail say seriously!

In other news, asylum seekers are eating our pets!

PhoenixAsh
05-01-2007, 02:49 PM
The worst part of that article is they somehow managed to tie it into violence in video games being bad. I think using a real goat was stupid as a marketing tactic though

I'd have been harsher towards Sony, but whenever I see stupidly written and sensationalist articles I always feel compelled to defend whoever they're about.

Old Manus
05-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Oh God, the Daily Mail got hold of it, you can now feel safe in the fact that everything it says will be totally wrong.

crazybayman
05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Totally freakin awesome. (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23394277-details/Slaughter:%20Horror%20at%20Sony's%20depr aved%20promotion%20stunt%20with%20d%20ec apitated%20goat/article.do)
YES

What's really funny is that I'm here at work (its lunchtime), and my boss walks by while I had the article opened and literally says "WTF?" So I explained the stunt, and he says "crazy." and walks away.

:p

I guess how you take this depends on where you come from. I used to hang out with a kid whose dad had a herd of sheep (a small farm, actually), and the age of...oh I dunno....maybe 12 or younger I saw him slaughter a sheep. He literally just cut its throat, and pinned the animal's head into a "bleed hole" in the floor of his shed, with his foot, while the animal kicked for its life as it bled to death.

Likewise, I successfully hunted and snared my first rabbit (which we later ate in rabbit stew) at the age of 5.

So a dead goat carcass? Big frickin' deal. I actually know a dude who has a few goats he'll soon slaughter (if he hasn't done so already).

The game is about an ancient Greek God, and a violent Greek God, at that. Its just a promotional setup to display the power of an ancient Greek God. Of course a freshly slaughtered goat is necessary for that :p

edczxcvbnm
05-01-2007, 04:42 PM
It would have been better had they stuffed the goat with candy and used it as a pinata but instead of a stick they would use a battle axe :D

crazybayman
05-01-2007, 04:47 PM
It would have been better had they stuffed the goat with candy and used it as a pinata but instead of a stick they would use a battle axe :D

There ya go :p

Instead of "pin the tail on the donkey" they could play "Slaughter the Goat".

Germ Hamee
05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
I guess how you take this depends on where you come from. I used to hang out with a kid whose dad had a herd of sheep (a small farm, actually), and the age of...oh I dunno....maybe 12 or younger I saw him slaughter a sheep. He literally just cut its throat, and pinned the animal's head into a "bleed hole" in the floor of his shed, with his foot, while the animal kicked for its life as it bled to death.

Likewise, I successfully hunted and snared my first rabbit (which we later ate in rabbit stew) at the age of 5.

So a dead goat carcass? Big frickin' deal. I actually know a dude who has a few goats he'll soon slaughter (if he hasn't done so already).

I really don't think most of the people upset about this feel that way because of the gross factor, bro. Anyone that's stepped out of the city for a day can handle a dead carcass, I'm sure. All of the examples you mentioned involved EATING the animal that was killed, implying that you were using it for something other than a party prop. I could be wrong about that, but otherwise it doesn't sound like you really get it. It's beyond just gross -- it's inhumane.

And I'm going to completely contradict myself by laughing at this. XD

Maxico
05-01-2007, 11:53 PM
I really don't think most of the people upset about this feel that way because of the gross factor, bro. Anyone that's stepped out of the city for a day can handle a dead carcass, I'm sure. All of the examples you mentioned involved EATING the animal that was killed, implying that you were using it for something other than a party prop. I could be wrong about that, but otherwise it doesn't sound like you really get it. It's beyond just gross -- it's inhumane.

As a vegetarian I have an issue with that. In general, all slaughter of animals in unneccessary. You can't say "It's ok to kill this adorable baby goat for a tasty snack, but wrong for any other reason".

Goats are slaughtered every day, and in this case I think the carcass wasn't actually touched by journalists, and returned to the butcher on the same day.

Also, don't forget that in alot of cultures, sacrificing a goat is often a common, or even annual family activity.

ReloadPsi
05-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Holy crap, like their PSP rap wasn't pathetic enough?

Markus. D
05-02-2007, 12:09 AM
I wonder what the soup tasted like :3?

Germ Hamee
05-02-2007, 12:19 AM
As a vegetarian I have an issue with that. In general, all slaughter of animals in unneccessary. You can't say "It's ok to kill this adorable baby goat for a tasty snack, but wrong for any other reason".

Goats are slaughtered every day, and in this case I think the carcass wasn't actually touched by journalists, and returned to the butcher on the same day.

As a carnivore, I think I can say/feel that it's one thing to kill an animal with the intention to use it for something useful (like protein, since I can't eat most of the alternatives), and another to kill it for play. You should be glad for that, or there would be people killing pets and wild animals so often that this thread wouldn't have any reason to exist.

I would continue being dramatic about all this, but I found another, much less biased article on the party. (http://kotaku.com/gaming/meat-soup/goatgate-sonys-side-of-the-story-256325.php:) You're right, the goat wasn't touched by attendees, and was returned to the butcher. That eases my rage enough to get over it quickly, but I'm still not okay with making a spectacle out of a dead animal.

Oh well.

Maxico
05-02-2007, 08:09 AM
That eases my rage enough to get over it quickly, but I'm still not okay with making a spectacle out of a dead animal.

Making a spectacle of a dead animal is a tradition in pretty much every culture.

The whole concept of using a severed pigs head with an apple in it's mouth as the centrepiece of a family feast is still pretty common.

Germ Hamee
05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Not at any family feast I've ever attended. o.O

In any case! I don't care how traditionally accepted it is here, or in Greece, or in Timbuktu. I don't like it. Stop quoting me and forcing me to return to this thread! ;_; Wah!

Nominus Experse
05-02-2007, 08:29 PM
It was going to die anyways. At least in this fashion it entertained.

How many goats entertain you by their death? This one entertained me. In fact, it's the only one that has done such a thing. I'll forever remember this goat.

This can't be said of other goats.

So the goat's death was in fact not meaningless.

Roto13
05-02-2007, 11:22 PM
You can't say "It's ok to kill this adorable baby goat for a tasty snack, but wrong for any other reason".
Yes I can.

Also, don't forget that in alot of cultures, sacrificing a goat is often a common, or even annual family activity.
So? In a lot of cultures you can kill someone for committing adultery. What's your point?

Maxico
05-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Yes I can.

I'm not quite sure if you have a valid point to make behind that or you're just saying 'I CAN "SAY" WHATEVER I WANT HURF DURF'. In which case I apologise for my poor choice of words.

Regardless, the Goat wasn't killed for the event and was probably used as a tasty snack afterwards.

So? In a lot of cultures you can kill someone for committing adultery. What's your point?[/QUOTE]

My point is that it's probably less shocking in Greece, to the audience it was intended, then the Daily fucking Mail.

Like you said, in some cultures, adultery is a pretty big sin. Look at the riots in India over something as small as the recent Richard Gere incident. You just don't do things like that infront of cultures that don't find that acceptable. If it wasn't for OPM, this event probably wouldn't have even been heard of outside of Greece.

And at the end of the day with this, the only valid arguement has been "It's wrong to make a spectacle of a dead animal", and that's a tradition of practically every culture ever, probably even yours. I'm not quite sure if you're actually outraged at this, or you're just playing devils advocate.