PDA

View Full Version : Let me hear it!

Breine
05-01-2007, 08:08 PM
I've noticed that there are quite some people out there who are disappointed with Final Fantasy IX and therefore find that it's basically a crappy game. Anyway, I thought it would be nice to talk about all of the positive sides of the game for a change.

So, what did you actually like about Final Fantasy IX? (and not what you didn't like!)

Trance_Kuja
05-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Let me see......
Best Cast.
Best Music.
Best Villain.
Charming graphics.
Best Story.
Underrated (like the underdog but all us IX fans know it is the best just VII fanoys denial).
Best FMV's (not visually but it almost takes the cake in that departement).

Vivisteiner
05-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Let me see......
Best Cast.
Best Music.
Best Villain.
Charming graphics.
Best Story.
Underrated (like the underdog but all us IX fans know it is the best just VII fanoys denial).

I would snap that.

And its hilarious. :D

PuPu
05-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I liked the fact that it was similar to the Original FFs (I-VI) with certain things in the game, such as the fact that you could have four party members at a time. That's also most likely the reason most FF VII or FF VIII fans hate this game, since it was different from what they were used to from VII and VIII. Though Final Fantasy IX is definitely the best out of all Second Generation FFs.

cloud21zidane16
05-02-2007, 12:34 AM
i like 7 and i also like 9. Its a great game that is underrated. I whish it was a bit harder though:rolleyes2

Bolivar
05-02-2007, 01:07 AM
I like 7 and 8, but i still like 9

great graphics, story, characters, gameplay and music

it has alot of great minigames

I like how the ATB makes it more turn-like, like the older games

4 party members in a 3d FF, can't hate on that, allows more balanced parties

Alot of good abilities to traditional classes, good combinations of classes in characters

The way the story unfolds, with you using different characters at different times, adds a level of depth and importance to the story and each character

Just a great game overall. If you like FF, I don't see how you can hate on IX.

Avarice-ness
05-02-2007, 02:19 AM
The ending. Point. Set. Match.

I don't care what anyone says, the ending part cinematic is my favorite out of all FF's. :razz:

Kitteh
05-02-2007, 02:19 AM
IX was a great game, the system to attain things such as " Clear headed " was pretty neat-o, and It's not a walk in the park when it comes to leveling. That and Kuja. Ah yes, he makes my knee's wobble =[. And, I like the way they brought back the whole 'class' bit, for example; Zidane was the theif, Vivi the mage, and Steinder the warrior. Its like chocolate. In a disc. That you can't eat, because if you did you'd cry because it wouldnt work ; ;.

Omni-Odin
05-02-2007, 04:25 PM
I love this game and I literally think it has one of the best skill level upgrades with the weapons.

[QUOTE=Trance_Kuja;2177007]
[QUOTE]

Cry about it some more.

Lynx
05-02-2007, 05:52 PM
the whole game was jsut great as it being the underdog i think thats starting to change as more and more people are comeing around to how great this FF truley is.

Little Blue
05-02-2007, 05:58 PM
I would just quote all of the above posts cos I agree with them all, but I'm too lazy. :p

Neo-Omega Mk XXV
05-02-2007, 06:49 PM
FFIX fans are a defensive bunch, aren't they? It seems that every FF forum online has an "FFIX is underrated" or "Why do people hate FFIX?" thread. I don't think many people hate this game, nor is it really an underdog.

I personally don't hate it, but I don't like it very much. In the spirit of positivity though, it has its strengths:

Vivi
The Terra-merging-with-Gaia part of the plot
The Iifa Tree
Memoria, even if it is poorly explained and tacked-on

I can't think of much else, unfortunately :eep:.

If you like FF, I don't see how you can hate on IX.

Meh, the game is very un-FF in its style. The whole thing is just too "kooky". A gang-o-freaks main cast, towns filled with giant rats and Hippopotamus-headed demi-humans, Cid as an idiotic-looking insect with a mustache, a wierd, disjointed world, etc..

Mirage
05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Best final dungeon.
...and that's about all.

Captain Maxx Power
05-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Monkey-love! :love:

Finola
05-02-2007, 07:17 PM
What I don't get is that why people don't like IX (no, you don't have to tell me the reasons). Cuz I just absolutely love it!!
It's the best FF so far.

Good about IX:
The world
Charming graphics (sorry i copied that one :D)
Characters
Music (best in the series)
Kuja
Story
Battle-system and lvling system too
Monsters
Chocobos (also the game hot and cold)
MOOGLES
The worldmap (and also the cities)
Airships
The humour (Oh, i so love the jokes and stuff)
Tetra master

The atmosphere that takes over me while I play the game, for example in the Forest in the beginning of the game. While the fire burns and the airship has crushed. Or the feeling in the end where Zidane feels totally lost and thinks that he can save the world by himself. That moment releases my despair-feelings right on.
And the Terra part. I'm in love with that music.
But i gotta say that there are some not-so-good-parts in the game that after playing the game through many times they're not so interesting anymore but since the game is really starting to get so easy it doesn't really matter.
I think that the reason why i feel so strongly for IX is cuz it's the first really good game that i've played and also the first FF.
I also fell in love with the moogles. (is it just me or have i fallen in love with everything??)

I'm really happy that a thread like this is here ;)

Oh yeah, and though i think there's sometimes too much talking about the meanings of their excistence, espeacially by Zidane, he's great character!

Goldenboko
05-02-2007, 08:29 PM
i like 7 and i also like 9. Its a great game that is underrated. I whish it was a bit harder though:rolleyes2

Harder then VII and VIII :rolleyes2

f f freak
05-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Meh, the game is very un-FF in its style

No it's not. The game is titled final fantasy hence it is very FF in it's style. All of them are whether we like it or not.

Anyway on topic. I liked a lot of things about this game.
The light-hearted story
The music
The awesome characters (Beatrix, Garnet, Vivi and Freya!!)
The summons
The spell animations
The FMVs
and maybe a couple of other things.

Pouring Rain
05-03-2007, 12:46 AM
The ending. Point. Set. Match.

I don't care what anyone says, the ending part cinematic is my favorite out of all FF's. :razz:

Great way of using tennis.

But, I love everything about FFIX. It was meant to be a tribute to the previous Final Fantasies, which is why there were some similarities. I love all my FF (7-10/2), and number nine has got to be one of my favorites. My mom is playing this game as we speak. She's got me obsessed with the OST. So I'm going to ask for that for my birthday.

Yeah, I'm off topic. But anyway, this game is awesome. I don't see what you could hate about it. Other than Sir Fratley and his total "amnesia".

zebaroth
05-03-2007, 01:45 AM
travling to other world at end (it would be nice if you had to fight all of the
shine bosses to open path) I tought that was neet:mog:

PS I like all the FF games

Bolivar
05-03-2007, 02:48 AM
FFIX fans are a defensive bunch, aren't they? It seems that every FF forum online has an "FFIX is underrated" or "Why do people hate FFIX?" thread. I don't think many people hate this game, nor is it really an underdog.

I personally don't hate it, but I don't like it very much. In the spirit of positivity though, it has its strengths:

Vivi
The Terra-merging-with-Gaia part of the plot
The Iifa Tree
Memoria, even if it is poorly explained and tacked-on

I can't think of much else, unfortunately :eep:.

If you like FF, I don't see how you can hate on IX.

Meh, the game is very un-FF in its style. The whole thing is just too "kooky". A gang-o-freaks main cast, towns filled with giant rats and Hippopotamus-headed demi-humans, Cid as an idiotic-looking insect with a mustache, a wierd, disjointed world, etc..

i think you misinterpret me. I'm with you on your criticisms (some of them). But you have to admit, you at least like this game.

Christmas
05-03-2007, 03:30 AM
:quina:

silentenigma
05-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Let me see......
Best Cast.
Best Music.
Best Villain.
Charming graphics.
Best Story.

There we go.

Goldenboko
05-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Let me see......
Best Cast.
Best Music.
Best Villain.
Charming graphics.
Best Story.

There we go.

Refixed

Tallulah
05-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Final Fantasy IX is one of my favourites, partly because it saw me through a tough time at college. Silly, I know, but the themes of friendship and tenacity within the game gave me hope, and the rest of the game, particularly the song Melodies of Life, which I love, cheered me up when I felt sad. I even had the lyrics stuck in the back of my college journal! :p

I feel it does get to the roots of Final Fantasy, with the set Job classes of each character making a return, and all the references back to previous FFs, were fun to pick out.

The quirky characters were a bit of a culture shock to me at first, having played FFVII and VIII beforehand, which had more humanoid characters, than a girl with a horn, a rat lady and a boy with a monkey tail! (not to mention the fat chef from the swamp! :tongue:) However, I quickly got used to them, and grew to like them all.

Plus, I found the Chocobo Treasure Hunt a worthwhile challenge. :)

DarkLadyNyara
05-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Lessee...

Good story (it starts a bit slow, which can put some people off, but once you get past the beginning, it can really pull you in.)

A very good villan, one of the best IMHO, with a believable motive

Pretty good graphics- I'm not a graphics whore, but they can add to the game

Really good music

Addictive mini-games (especially Chocobo Hot & Cold)

Actually a fantasy game

One of the better leveling/abillities systems, and the characters aren't carbon copies of eachother

A good dose of humor that (usually) doesn't go overboard

A main character that I don't want to throttle halfway through the first disk. *coughSquallcough*

Vivisteiner
05-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Let me see......
Best Cast.
Best Music.
Best Villain.
Charming graphics.
Best Story.

There we go.

Refixed
Reemphasised.

Sanzibar
05-21-2007, 02:17 PM
FFIX is one of my favourites...i even have all the music on my mp3 lol. I love the music and the characters especially Vivi and the moogles. Kuja has great theme music and all of the locations are so enchanting in their own way. Its just a brillaint game to play everything about it is good!

silentenigma
05-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Let me see......
Best Cast.
Best Music.
Best Villain.
Charming graphics.
Best Story.

There we go.

Refixed
Reemphasised.

Best is a very strong word, you know.

Jaffamitsu
05-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Let me see......
Best Cast.
Best Music.
Best Villain.
Charming graphics.
Best Story.

There we go.

Refixed
Reemphasised.

Best is a very strong word, you know.

Its all down to opinion...i personally think FFIX is one of my favorites....Many of the reasons have been stated here already....But the 'Best' is all down to personal opinion....

Crizpy
05-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I really love FFIX.
Its one of my favourite games.
I cant decide whitch game I like the most.
VII, VIII or IX.
Its definalty one of these 3. They're different, but theyr'e all really really good.

Anyway..about FFIX.
First of all, the soundtrack to this game is Nobou at his best. Seriously, theres not one "bad" theme\song\whatever in the whole game.
Ofc, some are better than others, but thats not the point. If you look at FFVII, the tune you hear when you're waiting for that thing to take you to the golden soucer..that one is BAD.
I dont think theres any bad tunes in IX.

The enviroment rocks. Unexplored continents, old airships, old castles...Treno.
Seriously Treno is the best town in the whole FF series. Its just made of pure sex. Old towers, castles..the music. Sometimes I just go there to listen to the music and walk around. Its really beautiful.

As you might've noticed, I love old stuff. Hate hightech things like Esthar in FFVIII.

The story is pretty good too.
Love how it all comes togheter in the end. Its kinda like Lost. You get little clues all the time, then suddenly all the pieces fits.
..Not that Ibsen guy, though...still wondering if thats some guy from Terra, or someone who plays a bigger role in the game than we think. Something Square just put there to make us think..who knows?

Squaresoft really put togheter a good game. I've played it so many times Ive lost count.

The only negative thing, is the random encounters, and the time it takes to load them. But thats due to the awsomeness of FFIX, and the not-so-awsome ps1.

Yuffie514
05-22-2007, 08:49 AM
i like most of the things about it, like Chocobo Hot & Cold, the eidolons, and the music. and as usual, Trance is a dislike and some of the curative items become useless as Garnet and Eiko begin to learn higher recovery spells.

Jaffamitsu
05-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Chocobo hot and cold is one of my favorite mini games ..

gothic_fantasy
06-18-2007, 05:44 PM
FFIX goes hand in hand with the NES FFIII...the "forgotten" FF. Most people I know who love FF have ironically never played IX. I really enjoyed it, even though I find the huge amount of sidequests a bit of a bore and the battle system, though well stuctured is just TOO SLOW. I loved the characters, they were colourful and complex. Altogether it is an excellent, but unrecognized game thanks to the massive publicity surrounding FFVII and FFVIII, and then the arrival of FFX. I can't say it's one of my favorites but when I do get around to playing it I always enjoy it.

Treasure Hunter Locke
06-20-2007, 02:03 AM
The excuse I have heard time after time is the character design's are "too childish". People should have their own opinions and I would respect those opinions but I still think the "too childish" is a poor excuse to not like this game. Obviously after FFVII and FFVIII it took a U-turn and went back to old style FF games as FFVII and FFVIII which helped bring the series into mainstream was more futuristic.

Anyway, I thought this game was excellent that I even like it better than FFVII (My first FF and was my favourite). I love the characters. The relationship between them (Zidane & Garnet, Zidane & Vivi especially). The story was great with a lot of well timed humour added into cutscenes and some very impressive FMV's, especially for its time.

I still think this game doesn't recieve a lot of credit and I also agree with gothic_fantasy that FFIII also doesn't recieve as much credit but that is probably because it never seen a release outside Japan until last year.