PDA

View Full Version : Eyes on Me - HATE

Discord
05-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Did anybody else just hate that song? I thought it was totally inappropriate after playing a game of total silence, save the midi-like music in the background, to play a song at all of the sudden. I thought the song was crap too though.

This really wasn't the problem with the FFX song. Maybe it's because I didn't get a word of what she was singing about or because the characters actually talked... but it just sounded right, while Eyes on Me simply ruined the moment.

Anybody else or am I alone with this one?

Comet
05-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Alone.

rubah
05-02-2007, 11:16 PM
it's elevator music to fill in the background during a romantic interlude! I think it was well-suited to its time.

Besides, it's part of the game!

Levian
05-02-2007, 11:27 PM
I liked it, and went straight ahead and downloaded it after I heard it, like most other FF8 freaks. It made me feel the love Squall & Rinoa shared :cry:

Darth Anarcus
05-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Eh, it's okay. Obviously the way the lyrics flow (i.e. not rhyming in English) ends up sounding extremely corny, but the song has grown on me. I think I'm more fond of the melody rather than the song itself. I tend to enjoy it more as background music.

Elly
05-03-2007, 12:29 AM
it was a good song, and hardly just thrown in inappropriatly, considering the melody for the song is used all throughout the game in the background in several places, it's basicaly FF VIII's theme song...

Bolivar
05-03-2007, 02:42 AM
I thought it was very appropriate, and it worked very well in conveying the emotional event that it was. in a non-gay way.

I also think it was the milestone that marked Uematsu becoming a musical composer, not just a MIDI programmer.

Christmas
05-03-2007, 03:03 AM
I liked it, and went straight ahead and downloaded it after I heard it, like most other FF8 freaks. It made me feel the love Squall & Rinoa shared :cry:

I bet you do. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-viii/58177-aeris-ultimecia.html) :cry:

NeoCracker
05-03-2007, 06:49 AM
I thought it was very appropriate, and it worked very well in conveying the emotional event that it was. in a non-gay way.

I also think it was the milestone that marked Uematsu becoming a musical composer, not just a MIDI programmer.

Have you not heard any of his orchastrated Piece's he made prior to that song? He was a great composer long before Eyes on you.

On to the point, despite all of FF VIII's flaws, the music was great. Eyes on you is a very well written song.

boys from the dwarf
05-03-2007, 07:35 AM
the it sounds and fits with the ending.

its emotional, not because of the lyrics, mainly the actual instruments. its a very good tune and its part of the game and everything and it fits in better than you think.

Captain Maxx Power
05-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't know why, but I always imagined Michael Bolton singing it.

Peter_20
05-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I found the lyrics pretty cheesy, and I'd definitely prefer an instrumental version.

ragnosica
05-03-2007, 04:39 PM
the song is cool but it's too simplist, it doesn't compare to Spirits Within or Dirge of Cerberus for example:rolleyes2

Bolivar
05-03-2007, 05:30 PM

Have you not heard any of his orchastrated Piece's he made prior to that song? He was a great composer long before Eyes on you.

umm, i've beaten every FF, and i'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

how long would you say that is? The only orchestrated piece that comes to mind is the end boss theme of VII, and I'm pretty sure he didn't compose that.

up to that point he was still only a game music programmer. A great one, but he was by no means above the rest. Until eyes on me, i would say, that's when he came into a class of his own and it's probably the reason he was able to become so successful outside of games. It was the milestone.

MJN SEIFER
05-03-2007, 06:22 PM
I love it. Funnilly enough - It was on the radio last night.

crazybayman
05-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I honestly can't say I like either eyes on me, or Suteki Da Ne. Both, to me, sounds like incredibly cheesey pop love music *shudders*

As much as I love these games, both these tunes (to my own personal musical tastes and preferences), are freakin' terrible. I'm kinda biased to rock, metal and alternative.

In fact, when I played through these games, I didn't even listen to these songs during these scenes.

Aside from these tunes, the guy who wrote them has a lot of talent, based on the other tracks in the games. The other tracks were awesome.

Garnie
05-03-2007, 06:46 PM
i actully love the song eyes on me im gonna have it played my wedding befor the wedding march or maybe just the march lols.

fifie
05-03-2007, 07:16 PM
i love it, apart from some of the lyrics sound like other stuff (to me anyway)
i.e. "...you'd always be there in this tiny little bar"
translates to me as "...all this time, a little boy"
lol

ragnosica
05-03-2007, 07:25 PM
i actully love the song eyes on me im gonna have it played my wedding befor the wedding march or maybe just the march lols.

FF freak:mad:

how long would you say that is? The only orchestrated piece that comes to mind is the end boss theme of VII, and I'm pretty sure he didn't compose that.

up to that point he was still only a game music programmer. A great one, but he was by no means above the rest. Until eyes on me, i would say, that's when he came into a class of his own and it's probably the reason he was able to become so successful outside of games. It was the milestone. I don't think you thought this through, if he were just a game music programmer before VIII you think he would play piano that well? this guy is probably playing the piano since he was seven, he is a piano genius ;)

f f freak
05-03-2007, 07:52 PM
FF freak
Yes? lol j/k

Anyway, I'm not sure whether I like it or not. It's okay but it's not that great.

Breine
05-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I think it's a pretty decent pop song. It suits the overall game well.

NeoCracker
05-03-2007, 10:08 PM

up to that point he was still only a game music programmer. A great one, but he was by no means above the rest. Until eyes on me, i would say, that's when he came into a class of his own and it's probably the reason he was able to become so successful outside of games. It was the milestone.

All of his songs have always been orchestrated, just not in the older games. I was under the impression, in Japan at least, to be a popular composer. Listen to the Orchestrated versions of Things like the Frog Theme, Terras Theme, Dancing Mad. He didn't just make a midi and then decide to orchastrate it later. Generally the Orchastrated comes first. I mean look at the Game OST's, I highly dought those came out as Midi's.

Ouch!
05-04-2007, 06:08 AM
The only Final Fantasy vocal theme song I've enjoyed is Suteki Da Ne. I can't really explain it; it's not that it remained untranslated, I just never quite picked up on any of the others.

Eyes On Me was okay, I guess. Nothing special.
Melodies of Life was incredibly annoying by the time you finally get to hear it with lyrics. I swear, every second song in the game has the same tune. Regardless, it's still my favorite soundtrack. That's besides the point.
Do I really need to comment on the songs in FFX-2? I just don't really like the whole generic pop thing.
Kiss Me Goodbye was oddly out of place in FFXII.

Edit: Aria De Mezzo Caratter (the orchestrated version with actual vocals) is pretty damn awesome, too, if you want to count that.

Discord
05-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Seems like I'm almost alone here. I actually don't mind pop music. I mean, I'm not absolute fan of it, but it can be pretty good at times.

Eyes on You... I don't know. Maybe it was the cheesy lyrics, maybe the fact that it was the only vocal in the game, maybe because (IMO) it absolutely didn't fit the moment... maybe everything else... but I didn't like it. I still don't. The orchestral version, i.e. without the singer, of it is alright, but by far not even close to the top 5 tracks of the game.:/

As I said, those are my opinions, so if you like the song, I'm happy for you.:)

Bolivar
05-04-2007, 09:22 PM

All of his songs have always been orchestrated, just not in the older games. I was under the impression, in Japan at least, to be a popular composer. Listen to the Orchestrated versions of Things like the Frog Theme, Terras Theme, Dancing Mad. He didn't just make a midi and then decide to orchastrate it later. Generally the Orchastrated comes first. I mean look at the Game OST's, I highly dought those came out as Midi's.

you're going off what you expect his process to be. i'm not sure your qualified to assume the musical process of game programmers, much less Japanese ones.

Regardless, it still doesn't change the fact that he was a MIDI programmer up to this point.

ragnosica
05-04-2007, 10:36 PM
u just don't wanna get it do u? anyway, my favourite song is the world theme from FF6, it's what actually gave me hope to go on with the game until the end:love:

Bolivar
05-05-2007, 12:35 AM
u just don't wanna get it do u?

that's a fallacy (abusive ad hominem). and reciprocal.

Discord
05-05-2007, 12:44 AM
u just don't wanna get it do u?

that's a fallacy (abusive ad hominem). and reciprocal.

Don't take it personally (I mean it as I didn't really read your debate guys), but ad hominem is usually a poor excuse for one's mistakes.

NB: As said previously, this has nothing to do with you at all, just stating my thoughts on the "ad hominem" "concept". Mind you, it's just as cheap as forgot-the-name-of-that-layer's Nazi analogy concept.

KasaiDraco
05-05-2007, 01:24 AM
It was ok. But, what I don't get is that at the end, the characters mouths are moving, but there's no voices. It's like a silent movie. Oh well.

ragnosica
05-05-2007, 10:59 AM
if they don't talk in-game there's no reason why they should talk otherwise:greenie:

Discord
05-05-2007, 02:48 PM
It was ok. But, what I don't get is that at the end, the characters mouths are moving, but there's no voices. It's like a silent movie. Oh well.

You mean the final scene with the party? The music was too loud.

KasaiDraco
05-05-2007, 05:38 PM
if they don't talk in-game there's no reason why they should talk otherwise:greenie:

In Legend of Dragoon, they only talked in FMV mode and I think in the Japanese version of FF8, they did voices because in the credits it listed Japanese VA, I think.

Finola
05-06-2007, 09:56 AM
I don't like it. But no matter, i don't like anything in the game. (my opinion might change but still.)

Jessweeee♪
05-06-2007, 07:12 PM
If you hate Eyes on Me then you hate Eyes on Final Fantasy!

ragnosica
05-06-2007, 07:20 PM
btw, was the name of this site inspired by the song title?

Hazzard
05-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Alone.

Explains it all.

yanis
05-06-2007, 09:34 PM
For me it was a good surprise, that actually that tune without the lyrics was a real song...The same for Melodies of Life!
Oh and I have the pc version and that song is on 4th disc...I just ripped it:D

TyphoonThaReapa
05-07-2007, 10:46 PM
HOLD ON ONE MINUTE!!!!!!!!!! I know there's no bashing about Eye On Me by Fay Wong in this thread is there?!?!?!? That's one of the best songs FF has to offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad2:

Shiny
05-09-2007, 09:26 PM
I thought that "Eyes on Me" was a pretty decent song though I'm not particularly fond of Faye Wong's singing voice in English. I realize that it would have probably cost too much to hire a person who spoke English fluently to sing the English version. And yeah, it’s a cheesy romance song, but then again a lot of mainstream music deals with love.

Discord
05-18-2007, 12:21 AM
Umm... well, it's barely the song itself that is the problem IMO. It can listen to it alright. It was in the wrong place at the wrong time *Don Corleone nod*

btw, was the name of this site inspired by the song title?

crazybayman
05-18-2007, 03:00 PM
If you hate Eyes on Me then you hate Eyes on Final Fantasy!

This is a great site (EoFF).

But that song is seriously the type that makes me want to barf. :p

Seriously......its a japanese version of celine dion (or some other generic female pop singer who sings cheesey and incredibally bad love songs) *shudder*

Sword
05-27-2007, 03:18 PM
I think it's a pretty decent pop song. It suits the overall game well.
You know what suits the game better? The Titanic theme. I saw a FF8 amv with that song and I was like "that should be FF8's theme!" lol.

I didn't hate Eyes on me. It's a love song and FF8 is primarily a love story. Plus it's a real song in the game that Julia (Rinoa's mother) sang.

licence
05-27-2007, 07:01 PM
The song makes me sad for some reason. I like it though, nostalgia factor plays a lot on it.

James Leopold
05-27-2007, 07:18 PM
i really like it, it makes me feel warm inside
it makes a brilliant game even better

Hayabusa
05-28-2007, 06:10 PM
It was a good song for the game. Whether you like it, it fit the mood and story.

Vivisteiner
05-28-2007, 11:31 PM
I would've liked it...

But I was too busy cringing from Squall and Rinoa's "love".

Shotgunnova
05-29-2007, 08:44 AM
I think the song fits (sorta) in the moment, huggin' in the cockpit and whatnot. There's absolutely no way I'd listen to that song outside of the game's context, though -- don't really care for it. Still, not a bad fit for that one scene.

NeoCracker
05-29-2007, 09:03 AM

you're going off what you expect his process to be. i'm not sure your qualified to assume the musical phttp://forums.eyesonff.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2179433
Eyes on Final Fantasy Forums - Reply to Topic

process of game programmers, much less Japanese ones.

Regardless, it still doesn't change the fact that he was a MIDI programmer up to this point.

Yes, I may not be the best Judge, however it seems far more likely he composed them, or at least wrote up the compositions, before making the Midis. And HE wasn't just a Midi Programer.

Music of Final Fantasy IV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV:_Celtic_Moon)
1994, An FF IV Soundrack composed, arranged, produced and performed by Nobuo Uematsu.

FF VIII wasn't released until 1999. So no, we was not Just a MIDI Programer before that. He's been a popular composer for a while now.

Big D
05-29-2007, 09:10 AM
I think in the Japanese version of FF8, they did voices because in the credits it listed Japanese VA, I think.They list motion-capture actors, but not voice actors. If they *did* have voice-acting in that scene, then the internet would be filled with millions of geeks condemning Squaresoft to eternal damnation for ripping the hearts out of their American customers by denying them this most crucially important feature in their version of the game...

Scream1008
05-30-2007, 04:35 PM
I liked the midi versions better. Still a good song though.

gothic_fantasy
06-01-2007, 01:34 PM
I found the song was just in the wrong place.........I mean the Ragnarok scene is kinda morbid, they're both all sad and this happy little love song starts playing...I really really preferred the orchestral version.
I also didn't like the normal version of Suteki da Ne either I always preferred the orchestral versions they play at the end!
I know a song that's cheesier than Eyes on Me...and that's 1000 Words. Want cheese? Look no further. I didn't even like the orchestral version and that's saying something.
In my opinion the best FF "song" made was Aria di Mezzo from FF6. Just cos it's opera ;)

Cloud_omnislash_Strife
06-02-2007, 05:41 AM
I thought it was okay though could have been in a more apropriate place

Thoughtless
06-08-2007, 01:30 PM
I thought it was totally appropriate; Squall just saved Rinoa and they where heading back to Gaia, it actually got me a bit misty eyed at the time, first game to do so :o.

At that time I was into pretty much just metal/rock bands like Korn, Slipknot, Metallica etc. After this game (my first final fantasy) I've greatly expanded my music tastes.

Faye Wong has a brilliant voice and singing style.

riallews
06-08-2007, 02:12 PM
I very much liked Eyes on Me. I agree that its timing is a little strange on the ragnorak though... but hey like gothic fantasy said - there's much worse and cheesier songs in ff's history than this one!

Cool Revolutionary
06-26-2007, 03:45 AM
its brilliant! and it fits in perfectly, its the best ff "theme" really brings back memories hearing it.

Polaris
06-29-2007, 03:33 PM
I think 'Eyes on Me' is good but not the best! I think it was a cleaver idea to put a song in the middle of that scene otherwise I'd die when I'd be playing it for the 18th time! :D

rubah
06-29-2007, 06:04 PM
It's timing was completely appropriate.

Chico y chica hanging loose after a desperate struggle for survival and then salvation, and then another desperate struggle for survival, and then finding out that someone else is going to take care of them. The emotional let down and realization that they're alone and no one else can see them makes it a perfect time to start getting intimate!

Cool Revolutionary
06-30-2007, 11:23 AM
It's timing was completely appropriate.

Chico y chica hanging loose after a desperate struggle for survival and then salvation, and then another desperate struggle for survival, and then finding out that someone else is going to take care of them. The emotional let down and realization that they're alone and no one else can see them makes it a perfect time to start getting intimate!
round of applause please everybody!;)