PDA

View Full Version : Best "Thief" Game Ever!

Discord
05-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Which's your favourite?

I think Metal Age was great, even though I've never really got hold of a copy (thank you youtube for the cutscenes). Dark Shadows was a nice game too, but the story wasn't really the same anymore.

Rase
05-03-2007, 12:28 AM
I much preferred Thief II to the others. The Dark Project, while fun, lacked a lot of the feeling of being a thief since half the time you fought off monsters, and Deadly Shadows didn't feel right, though I liked the expanded City.

The Metal Age was nice because it focused on more human opponents and areas, while still switching it up with the Servants and such. It just felt more like you were an actual thief out on the prowl. Plus I liked Karras and Truart as villains more than The Hag or The Trickster.

My favorite level was "Robbing the Cradle" from DS though, definitely.

Discord
05-03-2007, 12:37 AM
I much preferred Thief II to the others. The Dark Project, while fun, lacked a lot of the feeling of being a thief since half the time you fought off monsters, and Deadly Shadows didn't feel right, though I liked the expanded City.

The Metal Age was nice because it focused on more human opponents and areas, while still switching it up with the Servants and such. It just felt more like you were an actual thief out on the prowl. Plus I liked Karras and Truart as villains more than The Hag or The Trickster.

My favorite level was "Robbing the Cradle" from DS though, definitely.

The Cradle was just great. I mean the lighting, the sounds and the atmosphere. The level with the widow and the first mission were also quite fun though. The controls weren’t very well designed though. The turning time was totally pointless.

As for Thief one, yes, I never beaten it. It just gets boring once you reach the cathedral the second time. Apart from that, some riddles are a bit too tedious, e.g. a lever hidden behind a bush...

Rase
05-03-2007, 12:41 AM
The Cradle was just great. I mean the lighting, the sounds and the atmosphere. The level with the widow and the first mission were also quite fun though. The controls weren’t very well designed though. The turning time was totally pointless.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one, "House of the Widow Moira" I believe. Great music and atmosphere in that level.

I also remember being distinctly pissed at Deadly Shadows after trying out the climbing gloves and realizing they were nothing compared to the missing Rope Arrows. :(

As for Thief one, yes, I never beaten it. It just gets boring once you reach the cathedral the second time. Apart from that, some riddles are a bit too tedious, e.g. a lever hidden behind a bush...
Yeah, pretty much. I pushed through it back before I was Internet savvy to see the resolution of the story, but yeah, really fell through during the second half.

Discord
05-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Did you actually try that mod Thief 2x? I've heard it's pretty good.

Meh, Deadly Shadows has it's drawbacks alright. Still a great game.=]

Rostum
05-03-2007, 02:07 AM
I loved the first one a lot, but never got a chance to try the others.

Discord
05-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I loved the first one a lot, but never got a chance to try the others.

Thief II is really not that different from Thief I. The level design has been improved, but the mechanics in general is pretty much the same. Thief III is quite a bit different due to the nextgen engine. You really want to play the later on a good graphics card with a good stereo system though.

I think you can get all three on ebay for something like 15 Euro plus shipment. Just ordered a new Thief II for 2 pounds.

Rostum
05-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Or I could probably just download them.

:D

Discord
05-04-2007, 05:37 PM

Thief 3, maybe. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with Thief 1 and 2. Downloading old games tends to be prolematic.

PS: Does Australian law allow more or less pirated p2p downloads anyway? Just asking out of curiosity, since I know that Canadian one does, which makes me wish I lived there sometimes.

EDIT: Everybody who voted for option four will be hunted down by Hammerites and "reeductaded" in the old ways of the Builder.

Rostum
05-05-2007, 01:46 AM

PS: Does Australian law allow more or less pirated p2p downloads anyway? Just asking out of curiosity, since I know that Canadian one does, which makes me wish I lived there sometimes.

I don't really know what you mean, but there has been no limits put on to torrent downloads.

Discord
05-05-2007, 02:35 PM

I don't really know what you mean, but there has been no limits put on to torrent downloads.

Bah, you lucky bastard! (nicely meant) So you pretty much can download whatever you want from the internet?

Pfff... they can put in prison for up to five years in quite a few European countries for that... :crying: