PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Creator Slams Sony

Khaotic
05-03-2007, 12:30 AM
http://www.gwn.com/news/story...s_Sony.html

Sakaguchi-san shares his frustrations with Sony, with comments on Microsoft and Nintendo not far behind.

Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi has criticised Sony’s Playstation 3 console insisting that it is too difficult to develop for, and accused Microsoft of failing to promote the Xbox 360 efficiently in Japan.

Speaking to US publication EGM, Sakaguchi proclaimed bluntly that the reason he has decided not to develop games for the PS3 is because "The machine's architecture is tricky, and I don't like Ken Kutaragi."

Moving on, he offered his views on Nintendo’s Wii console, branding it "intriguing", though added "Right now, I have no plans on making a game for the Wii."

Sakaguchi’s Mistwalker studio recently issued the Xbox 360 game Blue Dragon last December, which in turn gave the fledging console a much needed boost in sales. Up until that point, sales of Microsoft’s next-gen console in the region had been relatively poor, which Sakaguchi blames entirely on the company’s inability to communicate its products to Japanese consumers.

“Microsoft has to change its marketing strategy in Japan. There are a lot of excellent games on the 360, far better games than what's on the Wii or PS3. But not a lot of people in Japan have a clear idea what games like Gears of War are all about”, he said.

Lastly, he also briefly touched on Microsoft’s efforts outside of the console market, adding, “Just look at the Windows Vista commercial - it's terrible.”

CimminyCricket
05-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Sony has been pwned.

Again

Bolivar
05-03-2007, 03:01 AM
i'm glad that his game's doing well, but his opinion to me is irrelevant as he pwned himself by losing his series.

Slothy
05-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Sony has been pwned.

Again

Really? Here it just looked to me like a single developer expressing his opinion on which console he prefers to develop for.

By your logic, the preference for the PS3 shown by Kojima and others leaves the 360 and Wii rather pwned. I have much more respect for someone like Kojima as a modern game developer than Sakaguchi to be honest (no matter how much as I may revere the man).

All he said was the PS3's architecture was "tricky". That's far from blatantly saying the console is too difficult to develop for as the article claims, and just shows that he prefers a more standard PC like architecture. No it's not as simple as the 360's, but then, the PS2 was difficult to develop for at first. It didn't stop companies from making some technically impressive games for it.

And for the record, no one likes Ken Kuteragi including Sony it would seem.

The black mage
05-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Esspcaily me (damm £425)

Sakaguchi was a amazing programer in the time of the NES/SNES. However after he left FF, FF6 and FF7 where made. Plus he was the one behind Sprits within :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: . Probaly the reason he left square.

Raebus
05-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Esspcaily me (damm £425)

Sakaguchi was a amazing programer in the time of the NES/SNES. However after he left FF, FF6 and FF7 where made. Plus he was the one behind Sprits within :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: . Probaly the reason he left square.

Yeah, he must have left square because he was obviously far superior, what with making spirits within! It all makes so much sense now.

Ps, I like spirits within.

Renmiri
05-03-2007, 05:07 PM
i'm glad that his game's doing well, but his opinion to me is irrelevant as he pwned himself by losing his series.

Yeah, isn't Sakaguchi on a pure "honor role" in SE nowadays ? Which means they listen more to the janitor than him at SE ?

Bolivar
05-03-2007, 05:44 PM

Yeah, isn't Sakaguchi on a pure "honor role" in SE nowadays ? Which means they listen more to the janitor than him at SE ?

Technically he resigned, but it's more along the lines of

"You bankrupted our company and now we're forced to sell to our #1 competitor. Get out."