PDA

View Full Version : connecting to xbox live

Xalibar
05-03-2007, 01:44 AM
I'm trying the connect to xbox live using a modem connection. I know i need an ethernet cable, but am i able to then just how it into my computer or do i need to buy a seperate cable/dsl modem?

CimminyCricket
05-03-2007, 01:54 AM
No, you just need to pay for xbox live. As far as I know at least.

Xalibar
05-03-2007, 01:57 AM
You don't need to pay for the silver membership, i mainly just want to connect to the xbox live marketplace.

CimminyCricket
05-03-2007, 02:02 AM
Aye, then you don't need to buy anything xD

Xalibar
05-03-2007, 02:06 AM
Xbox.com | Connect to Xbox Live - Direct Modem Connection with Xbox 360 (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/modem.htm)

That shows a picture of a modem, but i'm not sure if i'm suppsoed to just buy one on its own or if i could just hook the ethernet cable to the computer or whatever.

JKTrix
05-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I cannot see that site. But the modem is inside your computer? If it is, is it a broadband modem?

If you have an external broadband modem, it might be easiest to pick up a router, then plug your computer and the 360 into the router. Once you set up the internet connection settings in the router, you should be fine.

There are routers out there that specifically have a sticker on it saying something like 'Xbox Live OK', I think those are somewhat pre-setup to make it a little easier.

Xalibar
05-03-2007, 01:46 PM
i'm actually wondering what you need, besides an ethernet cable, to connect to xbox live. No one here has xbox live?

JKTrix
05-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I do. 'What you need' depends on what you already have. How do you get on the internet now? Does the phone line plug straight into your computer, or does it go to another box outside of the computer?

Here's the bare bones of what I have that you need to get on for a 360:

External DSL Modem-and-Router with 4 ports
1 Ethernet cable for the Xbox 360

If your modem is external, and has extra ethernet ports on it, then you have a modem-and-router. If not, you should get a router. If your modem is internal, I'm not 100% sure how to get it to work.

edczxcvbnm
05-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Do you have Dial-up up DSL/Cable/Something else.

You need to provide more information over all and be as descriptive as possible.

Shoeberto
05-03-2007, 08:28 PM
If you have dial-up, you can't use Xbox live.

edczxcvbnm
05-03-2007, 08:36 PM
If you have dial-up, you can't use Xbox live.

It was an attempt to get him to explain everything as clearly as possible so we all know the score. Thanks for ruining my plan :hot:

Xalibar
05-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I have broadband.

JKTrix
05-03-2007, 08:46 PM
How is your modem situated? If you don't understand what I've been asking you all this time, I'll try again.

As far as I know, you need a phone line to use the internet. What does your phone line for the internet plug into? Does it plug right into the back of the computer? Does it plug into another box before a cable runs from that box to the computer? This is important in figuring out the next step.

edczxcvbnm
05-03-2007, 09:17 PM
For the record I am pretty sure buying a second DSL/Cable modem would be useless as you are more than most likely restricted to one random IP address. I could be wrong but I would check with your ISP before you go off and do that one.

Xalibar
05-03-2007, 10:14 PM
my phone line is hooked into the back of my computer. Is there a way to connect to xbox live without connecting it to the computer at all?

What about the wireless network adaptor?

JKTrix
05-04-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm not very familiar with how internal modems work. Are there any 'Out' ports? I would assume that any other ethernet plugs on the same row as the Phone Line plug(the 'In' plug) would be 'Out' plugs. If you do have some, that can plug right into the 360, or into a router.

The wireless network adaptor would require a wireless access point already existing. You can get wireless routers, which would go into that 'Out' port. Then you could get the 360's wireless network adaptor to connect to that.

Xalibar
05-04-2007, 03:43 PM
"Zoom - USB/Ethernet External Cable Modem"
Could i use that in addition to the ethernet cable to get to xbox live?