PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of Mana sucks.

Jowy
05-03-2007, 06:53 PM
;_; (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/review/R113015.html)

Discuss.

Endless
05-03-2007, 09:24 PM
It was already pretty clear from reading the board before that reviw was there. I decided to ignore DoM and get HoM instead. What annoys me though is that the the complete failure of DoM in sales impacted sales of HoM negatively, and I fear Square is gonna ditch the mana series for good. Koichi Ishii is going to Hell for this, I tell you! *shakes fist in anger*

Jowy
05-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi Raf.

So, how's Heroes of Mana then?

Endless
05-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Hi Raf.

So, how's Heroes of Mana then?

I mean I won't get DoM, and will get HoM when it's out in the US. As far as reviews go, HoM seems to be better done that DoM, the hands-on at IGN is quite positive, and there's a review at Gamebrink (http://www.gamebrink.com/nintendo-ds/2313-Heroes_of_Mana-reviews-1.html) for the JP version.

Larahl
05-15-2007, 01:57 PM
The first true sequel and it's bad?
Damn. I was really excited about DoM, but I didn't really read much about it since I know how people like to complain, but it seems like everyone dislikes it.

bipper
05-15-2007, 08:18 PM
The first true sequel and it's bad?
Damn. I was really excited about DoM, but I didn't really read much about it since I know how people like to complain, but it seems like everyone dislikes it.

It's the net. People don't like anything here.

Captain Maxx Power
05-16-2007, 10:37 AM
It's the net. People don't like anything here.

I don't like the fact you voiced an opinion! :mad2:

LunarWeaver
05-16-2007, 06:15 PM
I disliked Dawn of Mana when I started reading impressions and previews of it. I didn't read any reviews and I already wasn't excited anymore =/ That may seem premature, but the game mechanics and set-up of it all sounds completely boring to me. I've lost all interest in it :cry:.

Angi-Kaiser
05-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Hmmm... The thing that wories me most is the patern that seems to be apearing in the mana games of late. Look at first twoWorld of Mana entries:

A) Children of Mana: Graphically, it's really nice, and it's gameplay mechanics (save for magic) are very well done. However, it's story is rather lacking, and it is less of an action RPG (like tis predecessors) and more of a dungeon crawler.

B) Dawn of Mana: Graphically, it's a great transition from 2D to 3D. But there have been complaints about the gamplay, as well as the mechanics. The fact that it takes away the widespread world that other mana games have featured, and dumbs it down into levels and stages is atrocious. Most of what people liked in the older mana games has been striped away, leaving a 3D shell with the name "Mana" on it.

In short, Square Enix is destroying what mana was. It's using the name to sell the game, but not delivering the content players expect. What really anoys me is that they don't seem to realize that the story and gameplay was what made the early Mana games so likeable. They had vast worlds, shocking plot twists, imaginative levels, sturdy gameplay. Children and Dawn of Mana lack these (Dawn more so than Children).

I will admit that I plan to buy Dawn of Mana, and I will probably enjoy it, if only due to the presence of Rabites, Goblins, etc. But I'm worried about the future of Mana with the way the series is being handled right now.

Nevermore
05-28-2007, 04:00 AM
People are always praising this series, but the only real noticeable installment was Secret of Mana, and with friends. My buddy and I spent months playing it, but on my own, I couldn't bare it for twenty minutes.

I don't get it. OBVIOUSLY Dawn sucks. And that stupid ring system isn't all THAT innovative.

Oh well, none of them beat Secret of Evermore in terms of ass.

References to fictional fiction movies? And B-movies at that? Riiiiiight.

Jowy
05-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Secret of Evermore is cooler than Nevermore.

That rhymed!

Roto13
05-30-2007, 09:03 PM
the only real noticeable installment was Secret of Mana

Pshh. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seiken_Densetsu_3)

remnant1
05-30-2007, 09:10 PM
legend of mana owns all mana games period(i still play it to this day)and i dint know there was a nevermore,but i did like secret of evermore a whole lot.ahh the classics cant argue with em.

Jowy
05-31-2007, 12:28 AM
the only real noticeable installment was Secret of Mana

Pshh. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seiken_Densetsu_3)

Everyone needs a good netplay game of SD3 once in their life. It forges everlasting friendships and makes for great screenshots in conversation.

Too bad last time I played we got stuck in the goddamn Ghost Ship with no healing items. D:

Ko Ko
05-31-2007, 08:06 AM
:p I was going to buy it, but you have deterred me! Well done!

So I guess it was nothing like SD3(beatitinanhourortwoandlovedit)?

Larahl
05-31-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, I played the game, it really is a disappointment.
It's not even and Action RPG, it's a Fantasy Action Adventure game with RPG elements.

The camera angle is worse than the one in the first Kingdom Hearts, and there's no towns or world exploration, losing items at the start or the mission is freaking annoying and
Bad physical reaction to hits (sends character flying back for too long)

BUT, there's some good sides to the game,
The graphics and really good, very beautiful environments and characters, the soundtrack is one of the best, throwing Rabites is super fun and the plot is nice and charming.

The game had so much potential, I'm so angry that it turned to be such a disappointment.
So angry...

Jowy
05-31-2007, 05:17 PM
:p I was going to buy it, but you have deterred me! Well done!

So I guess it was nothing like SD3(beatitinanhourortwoandlovedit)?

Do explain how one can beat Seiken Densetsu 3 in an hour.

Endless
05-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I'm curious. I ARed my way through half the game once to not be bothered by the fights and just enjoy the story, and it certainly took much longer than two hours. I'm not even sure I had the full party by that time.