PDA

View Full Version : Box Office Crown - Summer 2007

charliepanayi
05-03-2007, 07:57 PM
So which of this spring/summer's blockbusters do people think will top the worldwide box office come the end of the year? Looks like it'll be carnage between the likes of Spiderman, POTC and Shrek etc

As an added question, which film(s) are people most looking forward to.

My choice for which film will be top box office dog - POTC: At Worlds End. The second film split opinion but made over a billion dollars, it has enough of a built-in audience who will turn up to see the next part to propel it to the top.

And which film do I look forward to...none of them to be honest laugh.gif
Sequels always worry me, especially if they threaten to spoil the memory of good previous installments (*cough* Men in Black II *cough*)

edczxcvbnm
05-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Spider-man 3 gets my vote. That movie is already kicking ass on a worldwide scale. A crazy amount of advanced ticket sales as well. It has the makings of greatness.

Breine
05-03-2007, 08:17 PM
I also think that the third "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie will win this year's "Box Office Crown". It'll most definitely be closely followed by "Shrek the Third" and "Spider-Man 3", though.

Those three are basically also the ones I wanna see this summer - oh, and of course "The Simpsons Movie". Can't wait for that one :)

Shoeberto
05-03-2007, 08:37 PM
My money's on POTC3. It's huge.

I think Spidey's coming out a little early to be considered a summer film, really.

And unless Fantastic Four does something absolutely mind-blowing with the Silver Surfer, it's going to fizzle, just like the first movie did.

JKTrix
05-03-2007, 08:42 PM
I think Pirates of the Carribean as well, with Shrek in 2nd. Spidey3 will do really good, but I think Johnny Depp and a green ogre have a little more mass market appeal.

No clue how Transformers will do, I think most people are cautious about it.

Breine
05-03-2007, 08:43 PM
And unless Fantastic Four does something absolutely mind-blowing with the Silver Surfer, it's going to fizzle, just like the first movie did.

I agree. Such a shame that the first wasn't any good - there was so much potential for making a cool movie. Jessica Alba is still ridiculously smexy, though ;)

Slothy
05-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Of those Spiderman 3, but since it's not really summer yet I won't count it, so Transformers of course.

Del Murder
05-04-2007, 02:25 AM
Spider Man is big, but the Pirates thing is huge. Plus it also has that giant Disney machine backing it up. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being the top grossing movie of all time.

Ashley Schovitz
05-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Spiderman 3 starts in the Spring doesn't it?

charliepanayi
05-04-2007, 08:17 AM
*changes thread title* ¬_¬

El Bandito
05-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Pirates is definitely the favorite. The second one is already number 3 on top grossing movies worldwide of all time.

Wow, you guys are completely forgetting about one movie though, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It's being released exactly one week before the final book is. The hype machine for this movie will be unreal. If there's one movie to beat Pirates this is it, otherwise it comes in at a close second.

Freya
05-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Dude harry potter comes out this summer. I think taht might get it. Or spiderman 3. People really want to see venom, even if it's just a glimpse.

Burtsplurt
05-05-2007, 11:17 AM
I guess PoTC will make the most money, even though the second installment was dull and convoluted.

Of those, I'm looking forward to Die Hard 4.0 - even though it might not turn out to be the greatest film ever (understatement!).

Dreddz
05-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Spiderman 3 and PoTC are a tie. It easily one of those two. I reckon Spiderman 3 might do better considering every screening in every cinema is packed, I was fortunate to get one of the last seats in my local, and I turned up an hour before the movie even started.

edczxcvbnm
05-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Spiderman 3 has set records across the board.

Biggest opening weekend (148 million)
Biggest opening day
Biggest Friday Earnings
Biggest Saturday Earnings
Biggest Sunday Earnings
Largest Number of Screens

I am sure there will be more to come for spidey. If I am not mistaken it is breaking world records as well. They have already made back the money the movie cost to make on the world wide scale taking in 375 million already. Talk about insane.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-07-2007, 01:07 AM
danggg, pirates could of made it if it didnt come out this soon

XxSephirothxX
05-07-2007, 01:48 AM
I think Pirates 3 will beat it, but who knows. 148 million is damn impressive. I'm a bit surprised the fairly large number of negative reviews for Spider-man 3 didn't do more to dent its popularity.

Spammerman
05-07-2007, 01:49 AM
i wish it was fantastic 6, and they were on the 9th movie. I think spiderman 3 and p.o.t.c will do the best.

Dreddz
05-07-2007, 01:51 AM
I'm a bit surprised the fairly large number of negative reviews for Spider-man 3 didn't do more to dent its popularity.

One Word. Venom.

Mirage
05-07-2007, 02:03 AM
Pirates or spidey. I voted spidey.

Tavrobel
05-07-2007, 02:40 AM
I say Pirates. The pre-emptive negative reviews for Spiderman 3 will dent it within a week or two.

Ouch!
05-07-2007, 02:51 AM
I'm banking on Pirates, as, like Tav, I expect Spider-Man 3 to fizzle out. All the negative reviews certainly killed my enthusiasm to see the movie right away. It was more that my friends were coming back and either saying "Eh, it was okay," or "That sucked hard," that really discouraged me.

Assuming Pirates doesn't suck equally as hard, I imagine it'll be able to beat Spider-Man in the long run.

Pike
05-08-2007, 04:44 PM
No Harry Potter?

I'm betting PotC though. Because the last one ended on such a huge cliffhanger everybody's going to be rushing out to see this one. You really can't discount Shrek, though-- the last Shrek movie made a bucketload of money and Shrek is about half as long as PotC or Spider-Man so it'll have more showings... more showings = more tickets sold = more money =P

Edit: What, am I the only person in the world who really liked Spider-Man 3? =/