PDA

View Full Version : speed runssssssss

Lynx
05-04-2007, 05:11 AM
so anyone ever do a speed run through a game? if so what game and what was your time?

my goal right now is to beat the super metroid speed run time of 100% in 55 minutes amazeingly enough i think i might come close.

Markus. D
05-04-2007, 05:32 AM
ooooh~

I tried Speed Running through Mischief makers under 30 minutes. got up to the first stage of the last stage ladder.

Skyblade
05-04-2007, 05:44 AM
I hate speed runs. I enjoy taking my time in a game. Speed runs just feel too rushed, especially for RPGs. I think you lose some of the plot. The Metroid series are about the only games I speed run, because my perfectionist nature forces me to get those super endings.

Jowy
05-04-2007, 05:52 AM
If I ever manage to beat Super Metroid with a 100% in under 55 minutes, I want a trophy.

Lynx
05-04-2007, 06:26 AM
I hate speed runs. I enjoy taking my time in a game. Speed runs just feel too rushed, especially for RPGs. I think you lose some of the plot. The Metroid series are about the only games I speed run, because my perfectionist nature forces me to get those super endings.

i totally agree that speed runs in rpgs are stupid. rpgs are about the story. metroid is about the non linear exploration which i jsut love.

If I ever manage to beat Super Metroid with a 100% in under 55 minutes, I want a trophy.

me too. what amazes me more is hte people who beat metroid prime in under an hour or just over an hour whatever the record is.

i watched the 15 segemt video of someone beating it 100% in 55 minutes and i noticed mistakes and unneccasy things they did which makes me think maybe i can do better? but we'll see ill be glad if i can get 100% in under an hour and a half.

Roto13
05-04-2007, 06:37 AM
RPGs are not about the story unless they suck. They're about the gameplay.

I don't speed run because I can't be bothered to spend enough time with one game to know it well enough to speed run.

Markus. D
05-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Speed Run in RPGs once you complete them if you can be bothered n-n

krissy
05-04-2007, 08:36 AM

sarcasm?

Shin Gouken
05-04-2007, 05:17 PM
I love speedruns. Im not good enough to beat any records but i got a nice 38:27 on metroid zero mission and i think i can do better.

Speed runs are a fantastic way to challenge a game after you've played it too many times. Especially metroid games because it means you can carry on enjoying the game even after you can beat it with your eyes closed.

edczxcvbnm
05-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I can do Super Metroid in 1:15 minutes non 100%. I think that is pretty good and I am constantly improving. I have never watched a speed video so I don't know all of the tricks. I really should watch one sometime so I can learn how to do that damned mockball trick. That would easily shave 20 to 30 minutes off of my time by getting super missiles way earlier and skipping that stupid plant boss(I am about speed and not 100% completion).

EDIT: I also speed run through Chrono Trigger on new game plus. I got down to 3.5 hours. Avoiding enemies and blazing through that game is fun. I already know the story to death so now this is a new challenge.

Roto13
05-04-2007, 06:00 PM

sarcasm?

No.

Dreddz
05-04-2007, 07:19 PM
RPG's still revolve around the gameplay, even if its less significant than in other genres.

Ive never really seen the point in speed runs, and Ive never purposely done one. I have beaten old 16-bit games in single playthroughs but thats because there usually very short. And I dont bother trying really hard to get through them as fast as possible, but I tend to zip through them pretty fast anyway depending on the game. As for games released nowadays, its hard to just get through a game in a single playthrough, its probably easier to get through the game, but Im not one to sit myself in front of my TV for several hours.

Ramza Beoulve
05-05-2007, 05:57 AM
I have speed runned Castlevania SotN, with a time of 1:45 with 200.6% of the map, some years ago actually :D

demondude
05-10-2007, 06:50 PM
The ocarine of time i was 2 hours off the record

SeeDRankLou
05-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Speed Runs are fun. And it's not like you do the speed run the first time you play the game or anything, you have the really know the game well in order to do a speed run in the first place.

I did a speed run for FFIX, 11 hours and 20 minutes, not the fastest but I got the Excalibur 2 non-the-less. :D

I did a speed run for Resident Evil. 1 hour and 55 minutes, not the fastest but still pretty good.

I did a speed run for Pikmin. 9 days, which is the official record. Although I did use blue pikmin, so whoever did it in 9 days without the blue pikmin beats me.

I can do a 9 day Pikmin 2 run, but the record is 8 days. I'm working on it.

I've done 2 Majora's Mask speed runs. Not including the first 3-day cycle before you play the ocarina for the first time, I have done a 1 cycle run getting through the whole game, and I have done a 4 cycle run getting through the whole game with 100% items.

I've done more, I just can't think of them right now.

Shoeberto
05-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Everyone should watch Quake Done Quicker at least once and just marvel at how they do it.

And RPGs are a genre where both gameplay and story can make or break it.