PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye question

BardTard
05-05-2007, 05:39 AM
So, I'm graduating on the 12th :D and I was thinking I should dye my hair for graduation. I dyed my hair once and it didn't turn out so good, but that could have been the dye. It was supposed to be permanent but it washed out in like a week, and made my hair feel... really weird.

So I want to dye my hair like I made it in photoshop, and everyone says I should do it. (BTW the picture is on my profile what I wanna do to it.)

So my question is, if I do it, what kind of hair dye should I use? I don't want to ruin my hair. If you've ever dyed your hair, what kind of dye was it? Or should I not do it at all? Do you think I used crappy dye before, or should I just avoid hair dye altogether?

kikimm
05-05-2007, 05:45 AM
If you're real set on doing it, you should get it done at a salon, if possible. I wouldn't try and do something like that myself, especially if I had a bad first experience. Still, I don't think doing it for graduation is a good idea. :p If something goes wrong, you're pretty much fucked. Depends on if you care about that or not, I guess.

What kind of dye did you use before?

Jessweeee♪
05-05-2007, 05:48 AM
I've been planning to dye all of my hair purple myself :D

DYE DYE DYE!!! GOOO!!! GOGOGO!

Tifa Valentine
05-05-2007, 06:37 AM
Maybe getting it done at a salon would be a better idea? Do it yourself at home jobs don't always turn out how you expect it to and if you try to run to a salon afterwards they usually tell you there's nothing they can do about it. They'll tell you something about how bad it is for your hair if they mix bottle dyes with their products. Besides, if you're not satisfied at the hair salon, most will do a fix up job for free.

Big D
05-05-2007, 07:28 AM
That purple streak looks extremely cool, but if you're worried it might turn out badly, then perhaps it'd be better to wait till after graduation. That way you don't have to go on stage with a dye-job your unhappy with, not to mention the graduation photos that you'll have for a long time.
:)

samboo1
05-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Hmm i dye my hair a lot, and for a colour like purple you should really go to a salon, because if it doesnt turn out like it should you can get money off (although its rediculously expensive in the first place). When i dyed my hair red underneath, i was expecting it to look as red as it showed on the box, but it was only a tint, i was disappointed with that :mad:

I dont know if the black on your profile pic is also photoshopped, but for doing black it's easy enough do yourself, it cant really go wrong (like too dark or light).

Just in case you could always get semi permanent purple, then if you dont like it just wash your hair loads and it will fade.

Anaisa
05-05-2007, 11:28 AM
I've had that many bad experiences with hairdressers dying my hair the wrong colour that dying it at home is no more perilous! I've also had hairdressers put what's supposed to be permanent hair dye on my hair, an had it wash out. So you can still have that some trouble when you've had your hair done at the hairdressers. My hairs naturally black though, so my experiences are probably worse than most, because black hair is more difficult to dye. But that doesn't excuse the hairdressers shoddy work, they should know what their doing. Dying your hair black at home is fine as far as getting it the right colour goes. I've never known anyone that's dyed their hair with black dye at home, an had it go a different colour. So it's safe to dye it at home for that reason. But it's messy. You'll need to wear clothes that you don't care whether they get dye on them, an cover the floor where you're dying it, use old towels to dry your hair, etc. So all that can be a pain. But that's the only problem you should have, the mess it can make around the house. If you don't want to deal with the mess, you'd be better going to a hairdresser. As far as the purple streak goes, that piece of hair will need to be prebleached, an then have the purple dye put over it, if you want it permanently coloured that is. That seems like a major pain to me. I think you'd be better off buying a purple clip in hair extension, an putting it in that way.

Zeldy
05-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Pink! Dye it Pink :excited:.
Oh man, my hair is going to bright pink when Im older.

The purple streak would really suit you, I say go for it.

Mirage
05-05-2007, 02:57 PM
I think that was a rather bad purple colour to be honest, make it darker.

Christmas
05-05-2007, 02:58 PM
I thought everyone like Terra and Rydia. :(

EDIT: PiP too!

Peegee
05-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Get it done at the place you trust.

What color do you want? I see your avatar and sig as 'black' and that's simple enough to do.

I also read the word 'purple' here and there. To do purple you have to lighten your hair (if it's darker than purple) and then dye it purple. It should last a few days but should wash out (or become diluted) in a few days because flat color (ie not black) hair color tends to do that.

SammieBabe
05-05-2007, 04:29 PM
That purple streak looks extremely cool, but if you're worried it might turn out badly, then perhaps it'd be better to wait till after graduation. That way you don't have to go on stage with a dye-job your unhappy with, not to mention the graduation photos that you'll have for a long time.
:)

Very true.
And after doing at home dye jobs and going to salons, I recommend salons. They're less likely to screw up on account of being trained to do hair...

Shlup
05-05-2007, 06:56 PM
I used to dye my husband's hair black with Garnier Fructise hair dye. Worked just fine for me. I don't know what brands are good if you're going for an unnatural color though.