PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your books

Eiko Guy
05-05-2007, 04:34 PM
I have a fewnovels swimming around in my head. Self written of course. I can never decide how I shuold start them so I need to know.
How do you like your books structure? Do you like for the main character's world to be shattered or do you like for them to be delusional so when they finally see the truth it breaks them. Forcing the heroine or rival party member to pick up the pieces.

I want to write it before im 16(6 months) so quickly...HELP!!!

Araciel
05-05-2007, 05:21 PM
dood that's all up to you...you have to find out what your style is...go by influences and whatnot...what do you like to read about, what do you find is the most interesting and enveloping way when you read a book??? what makes you want to read the rest of the book from the moment you read the first page?

Ouch!
05-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Write for yourself. Write the way you want to write it, not the way other people tell you write it. Accept suggestions, note criticisms, but none of them mean you have to change anything.

You're asking for suggestions about a major premise of the story. Don't. The last thing you should let other people change is the core of the story. If you ever want to be proud about the piece, you have to know that it's yours.

Eiko Guy
05-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Thats what I, asking for...suggestions.
I can't create a way for my character to get from world one to world two without breaking hiim completely. No one would be around to pick up the pieces so Im pretty lost so I need a way to do it.

Araciel
05-05-2007, 05:41 PM
why does someone need to pick up the pieces?!?!!

wouldn't it be cool if he became two seperate personalities and you split the story into two viewpoints?!?! muhahahah

Renmiri
05-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Make a girl pick up the pieces. I love romance :love:

PS: Romance will pretty much kill the chance of your book being respected by guys though ;)

Eiko Guy
05-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Im thinking of making the main character gay though so I dont know how a girl could pick up the pieces.

{cloud}
05-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I think you should just make the story the way you would want it to be. Otherwise its not your story is it?

Ouch!
05-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Thats what I, asking for...suggestions.
I can't create a way for my character to get from world one to world two without breaking hiim completely. No one would be around to pick up the pieces so Im pretty lost so I need a way to do it.
Perhaps I'm alone on this, but I feel like something this important to a story (because let's face it, this reconstruction is half (or more) of the focus throughout the work) should be something the author calls his or her own.

If you really just meant to toss some ideas back and forth, that's fine, I guess. When I read the first post, however, it just sounded like you were begging for someone to figure out the problem for you. If you want to bounce ideas off of a sounding board (someone you trust to be honest), it'd probably be more effective to at least communicate over instant messanger.

That all being said, it is your book; you can write it however the hell you want. My opinion isn't an absolute, though I apologize as I seem to present it as such, but I hope it made you think about responsibilities to yourself as a writer.

Renmiri
05-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Im thinking of making the main character gay though so I dont know how a girl could pick up the pieces.

A boy works, romance is romance :love:

And by making it gay romance you just expanded your reading base :D

Eiko Guy
05-05-2007, 07:14 PM
I basically just want a few un thought of options that wouold make it an interesting story.

Araciel
05-05-2007, 07:56 PM
i would say he'd be isolating his reading base...but whaddyagonnado.

Renmiri
05-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Well, the main person who has to like the story is him :) The rest is just added benefit ;)

I for one don't mind if it's gay romance or hetero romance, I just prefer the latter, as I can identify with the characters more easily.

But I do know that there are a lot of yaoi fans around so that is why I told him that a gay romance might have more fans than an hetero romance story.