PDA

View Full Version : Game Decision

Zora
05-05-2007, 10:38 PM
First off, remember I have access to Gamefly. Think of it as Netflix but only games.

Okay I need help deciding games in two catagories: A game I will buy soon and the one for my Birthday (my Mom always needs to bug my about my Birthday present 1.5 months in advance).

Okay for the games I will buy soon:

Phoenix Wright: Justice for All: I played Ace Attorney (and beat it), but the lack of replay value is the key problem here. With access to Gamefly I can easily just rent it for three or so weeks (however long it takes) then buying it.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Uhh.... I heard it was good

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow: Not fimiliar with the Castlevania series and heard this one was good for the DS. But I know nothing of it.

Tales of the Abyss: I am a sucker for RPGs (SUPRISE!) and I heard this was one of (if not the best) title in the Tales series. But...

Now for my Birthday:

Tales of the Abyss: Yep. If I do not buy it soon I may end up getting it for my birthday. But if I do end up buying it, this is off my list.

Pokemon Battle Revolution: I will end up getting this one anyway, but I can save up for it.

Final Fantasy VII: Sounds good at first, considering I will play this anyways, except for the fact my friend said he would lend it to me. The only problem we don't exactly get in touch often and we no longer go the same school.

So which one should I buy with my own money (first set) and which one should I get for my birthday (second set)

Mods: If this belongs in another section please move it, okay :D

Renmiri
05-05-2007, 10:42 PM
A lot of people seem to love FFVII to bits. If you are one of them you might want to have your own copy.

Zora
05-05-2007, 10:44 PM
A lot of people seem to love FFVII to bits. If you are one of them you might want to have your own copy.

Mey, I probably will only play it once. From what I heard from both sides it sounded like FFVII is good (as in 8.5/10 good), just severly overrated. And I love FFVI to bits, and I haven't done my second replay. Yet.

Edit: I forgot, I can also look into Final Fantasy Tactics too :D

Maxico
05-05-2007, 11:10 PM
FFVII is great if you'e 10-14.

I recently looked through it again and there are enough "Jesus christ, what were they thinking?" moments in the Midgar sections alone to completely shatter my childhood.

The writing isn't overrated, it's flat out bad.

Get Pheonix Wright. I haven't played Dawn of Sorrow, but if it's anything like Symphony of the Night, it's excellent.

Slothy
05-06-2007, 12:24 AM
The first set isn't even a question; FF Tactics. I may love Pheonix Wright, but the replay value is slim to none. It's a "play it once and then never touch it until you get nostalgiac 5 years later" kind of game.

For the second set, I'll say now that I haven't played Tales of the Abyss, but my choice would be between that and FFVII. I'd say FFVII since I've played it and know it to be enjoyable, but again, I haven't played Abyss.

Meat Puppet
05-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Not only is Final Fantasy VII the greatest game in the universe, but it is also the only game you will ever need.

Here are a few reasons why:

There is snowboarding;
there is submarining;
a pet dog (kind of like one, anyway); and
there is, like
this one girl with boobs.
And much, much more!

That’s like, 8 reasons, and I haven’t even Googled anything.

It instantly makes 97% of yr. Game Collection obsolete (the rest can be used for learning how to juggle while you wait for the game to load).

null :mad2:

Rostum
05-06-2007, 01:45 AM
I first played FFVII when I was around 11-12 years old. I'm now 20 and I still find it a decent game to play through. I don't think you should jump on the "over-rated" bandwagon, until you at least attempt to play through it.

Madame Adequate
05-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Your list seems... limited? There are far more options on the DS and PS1 (And anything else you might have as well) which you should consider.

Of those, Phoenix Wright has no replay value but is awesome the one time you go through it. Tales games are always good. Tactics is not very good and there are far, far better SRPGs out there.

The other category; FFVII. Overrated? Yes, to a degree. But it's easy to see why it is overrated, because it comes darn close to being as good as they say. It's a pretty important game, both from the industry's standpoint and from the gamer's. Kinda of like Pac-man and Double Dragon, you do need to play it, even if you don't end up liking it much, simply because of how important it is and those ways in which it is a milestone.

Zora
05-06-2007, 02:12 AM
^I really choose out what looked good and I don't already own. My DS collection is already huge. But there might be others, but their rarity I think create a heavier price.

I would like to remind people that either way I get FFVII, it is just the matter if I OWN it or if I BORROW it.

Rostum
05-06-2007, 08:02 AM
I would like to remind people that either way I get FFVII, it is just the matter if I OWN it or if I BORROW it.

Then why did you bring it up?

Zora
05-06-2007, 04:50 PM

Then why did you bring it up?

Because of difficulty contacting this friend (I can only contact him on Mondays and Tuesdays IF I am lucky), it might be easier to get my own copy.

Rostum
05-07-2007, 01:15 AM
You should. :D

JKTrix
05-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I'd personally go with Castlevania first, off of that list. I would have reccomended buying Ace Attorney 2 (buy the game, lets Capcom know we want it) but we're already getting Ace Attorney 3. So it's safe to rent that one. Definitely play it.

Save Tales of the Abyss for your birthday. You've waited 10 years to play FF7, you can wait longer to borrow it from your rarely-seen friend. I heard Tactics was pretty okay too, but despite having it in my possession I haven't played it much (Friend left it over my house months ago before he went away to school, and I have no PS1 memory card).

Wolf Kanno
05-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Out of your first list...

Go with FFT or Castelvania. The 2D Castlevania's are amazing and have always done superb work. The stories are cool as well as the various game systems they use.

FFT is one of the most mature and well written FFs in the series (sans the shoddy localization:rolleyes2 ) and despite what MILF says, it is one of the better SRPGs on the market. Just make sure you avoid Gamefaqs or the FFT forum so you don't learn any of the games "cheats" and you will find it to be amazing. It's story starts at a slow pace but it's really worth it if you keep at it.

As for your second group...

Damn you for making me say this but FFVII...

I don't know much about this Pokemon incarnation so I can't give a fair judgement but I've never been a fan of the Tales series. There plots are generic JRPG stories that are incredibly cliche ridden and easily predictable. There characters are 2 dimensional and their "action battle system" requires little to no strategy or skill. They're fun to play but you will quickly get bored after awhile when you begin noticing it's "processed feel".

FFVII has not exactly "aged" well compared to other FFs but at least you can finally understand what all the pointless fanboy/girl nonsense is all about. The gameplay is fun though it sufferes from "late game godhood" that plagues the series and it's story is not exactly original or well written but at least for it's time it was pretty damn good and it's actually enjoyable when you get past the hype. It's a good game (like all of the FFs) it's just not necessarily the best (like all the FFs:rolleyes2 )