PDA

View Full Version : HP Power Cord Problems for Laptop

Lionx
05-06-2007, 03:22 AM
Recently my laptop has JUST today lost its use of the power cord. Maybe its because i accidentally sat on it but it just stopped giving power. I then tried to replug it or shut it down and try different solutions to no avail. This is the second time that this power cord of mine has failed to work...

What should i do? It sounds wierd too, whenever i connect the power cord to something that gives me electricity, it has this faint beeping that is going on inside the brick. I dont know if that has any bearing to whats going on or what does it mean. Any ideas..? I hate for this laptop to be out of use since i need it for schoolwork and daily computer usage. It is currently shut down conserving Battery. Also why does this happen to the power cord..? >> is it a common problem?

Roto13
05-06-2007, 05:38 AM
Ugh. The part of my power cord that connects the laptop to the adapter screwed up TWICE. Both times I had to take it back and get it replaced. (Thank the great Jubbah for warranties.) It never made a beeping noise, though. That's new to me.

I say take it back to where you got it. (Mine is a HP too)

o_O
05-06-2007, 06:08 PM
The beeping noise is just surplus electrical energy dissipating. Better than making the unit hot. :p

AC adapters break, it's not that common, but it happens, and since they seal the adapter shut for safety reasons, the only thing you can really do is buy a new one.

Lionx
05-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Not that common? This thing was replaced once already, and this time my warranty has expired since then making it so i need to pay $300 and lose 1 month of usage. I keep reading that the power cord is a problem for HP computers online but...=/ Wth. It just seems extremely common for me.

Do you know where i can purchase one..? Otherwise i might just feel more confident in getting a replacement.

ShunNakamura
05-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Do you know where i can purchase one..? Otherwise i might just feel more confident in getting a replacement.
<span style="color:#FFCCFF">
You could always try e-bay. I got replacement cords cheap for my dell when someone broke it(someone tripped over it and managed to tear off the part that plugs into the back). Just make sure you get the right kind so that it fits your model.
</span>

Renmiri
05-07-2007, 01:37 AM
You could always try e-bay. I got replacement cords cheap for my dell when someone broke it(someone tripped over it and managed to tear off the part that plugs into the back). Just make sure you get the right kind so that it fits your model.
</span>

Ugh Dell!!!!

My dog got tangled in the cord and managed to break the part that plugs in the back before I could free him. He broke it all thru the motherboard inside :mad: Ergo, it was a total loss of the laptop :(

I keep my power cord tucked in and strapped to the chair leg nowadays. And no more Dells for me! :mad:

o_O
05-07-2007, 12:08 PM
There are all too many Dells around these days. :p

Lionx, I think you've just been unlucky with the AC adapters. :p
Have a look for retailers of computer parts; you can often find an online store that'll ship cheaply.

Roto13
05-07-2007, 09:02 PM
It's not just his luck, it's the fact that HP is :skull::skull::skull::skull:.

Baloki
05-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Since I'm too late to offer any advice pertaining to the main subject of the thread can I just say chewing laptop power cables is not recommended, not that I'd know what happens >_>

Renmiri
05-08-2007, 12:57 AM
My cat found out the hard way chewing on a phone charger cable. :D

Lionx
05-08-2007, 02:04 AM
There are all too many Dells around these days. :p

Lionx, I think you've just been unlucky with the AC adapters. :p
Have a look for retailers of computer parts; you can often find an online store that'll ship cheaply.

Really? Because i look around online and i seen that this stuff happens to other people as well. I dont know if its HP's faulty design or if laptops really are like this. And no i havent chewed it or have pets that can do this...its just frustrating because it happened once before, and all of a sudden it happens again a month or two after warranty expires...like they made this on purpose -_-;a

I will give a look around, if a new cord wont fix this, i might as well get a new one and back everything up on my old...thanks everyone.

Discord
05-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Aye, get a Sony, a Toshiba or an ASUS the next time. They've proved reliable so far. Can't say that I liked DELL or SAMSUNG much though.

Baloki
05-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Aye, get a Sony, a Toshiba or an ASUS the next time. They've proved reliable so far. Can't say that I liked DELL or SAMSUNG much though.

NOT SONY, DON'T GET SONY, EVER, EVR, EVER!

Seriously, they provide no copy of Windows, their drivers are propriatory and are hard to get hold of after about 6 months and although they look nice their overpriced and have exploding batteries, well they don't explode anymore...

Discord
05-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Umm... the batteries are THE issue with all laptops. I've got a copy of windows with mine though. The only thing I do not like that particuarly about Sony is the fact that they insert the Intel Graphic Cards in, which aren't terribly powerful and/or compatible with games.

Lionx
05-08-2007, 05:56 PM
I am actually kinda with Baloki here...as well as prices, Sonys are NOT cheap at all for their specs. I am looking at a Sager right now though...<3 Not sure yet but definetly thinking on it.

Roto13
05-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Umm... the batteries are THE issue with all laptops.

I think exploding might be pushing the limits a tad, though. xP

Baloki
05-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Umm... the batteries are THE issue with all laptops.

All Sony Litium batteries were susceptible and if a battery explodes/catches fire while being charged because it's attached to a laptop it is kindda the laptops trouble to tbh.

Discord
05-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Wait a second? You meant that wordly?

Baloki
05-08-2007, 06:43 PM

wordly? As in with words?

Discord
05-08-2007, 06:46 PM

wordly? As in with words?

:D

I'm just suprised that a battery can actually explode from regular usage.

Roto13
05-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Well it's not very common. It's not like everyone's battery will eventually explode.

Discord
05-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Well it's not very common. It's not like everyone's battery will eventually explode.

Never seen one explode myself.

ShunNakamura
05-08-2007, 08:15 PM
I had a friend who owned a sony laptop thats battery went boom or whatever on(he said it didn't exactly explode perse but it really f'ed up the rest of his computer anyways).

Anyways he still uses Sony as his main laptop provider. He tells me the reason is that when it comes to actually responding to his problems and taking responsibility for issues they are the best he has come across(he has used Dell, HP, Samsung, Apple, and 1 or 2 others before; what he told me he hasn't tried is Lenova, ASUS, and Toshiba).

Note, he got his laptop replaced in under a week after the battery went poof in addition the processor in the replacement was more powerful than in his original(apparently the model line had a processor upgrade just after he bought his).

And from others who deal regularly with laptops I have heard quite a bit of good things about Sony's warranties and Customer Service with their laptops(though of course these guys also are the first to tell you that you are paying a prettier penny for each part than you would elsewhere... as such most of them recommended me going Lenova when I get a new one; I don't really know much about them though).
</span>

Renmiri
05-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Truth is all those big guys go through periods where they think the customer won't notice if they buy inferior parts. Toshiba, Dell, Gateway, HP, Sony... all of them did it once or twice. Loyalty to a laptop manufacturer is foolish.