PDA

View Full Version : Superman Returns

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-06-2007, 06:40 PM
What's Superman Returns like? I heard it was a :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty movie because The Man of Steel, didn't even fight a super villian.

Del Murder
05-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Yeah it was all Lex in this one. Kind of a dull movie.

Spammerman
05-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Superman returned, and he needs to leave again. Hopefully soon.

Raebus
05-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Oh god your right, it featured good performances and *GASP* was quite enjoyable, we'd better call the bad film police!

Spammerman
05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
well, he is SUPERman. I was kind of hoping for a big action scene.

Raebus
05-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Like, him lifting the island of bad kryponite and chucking it into space or saving a plane?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Oh god your right, it featured good performances and *GASP* was quite enjoyable, we'd better call the bad film police!

Like, him lifting the island of bad kryponite and chucking it into space or saving a plane?

I think everyone wanted to see Superman fight Bizarro. Also Batman Returns had great preformances too but was it enough to save the movie? No! Because if it was Warner Bros would've let Tim Burton finish his Batman trilogy.

Breine
05-06-2007, 08:48 PM
I thought it was a decent movie. It was actually better than I had expected and it looked amazing. There could have been a bit more action, but it was an overall enjoyable movie with a somewhat nice twist ending.

Sergeant Hartman
05-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Bullet to the eye was quite epic.

Spammerman
05-06-2007, 08:53 PM

I wanted him to face a super villian, as in someone with super powers. Not some really smart bald guy who doesnt care about people. That would be like me vs my music teacher.

Raebus
05-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Whats more interesting, seeing a human match the pure strength of superman with intellect or superman fighting a run of the mill super powered being?

Dreddz
05-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Superman Returns was awesome, far better than any recent superhero movie. Certainly craps all over Spiderman 3. And just because there is no super villain doesnt make it a bad movie.

Slothy
05-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Lex Luthor is a super villian in the same sense that Batman can be a super hero. He has nothing more than his intellect with which to try and defeat a god, and that makes him immediately more interesting than anyone else in Supermans rogues gallery (and pretty much every villian fans claim to want to see in future movies with the exception of Brainiac, who I'd put up there with Luthor depending on which version you're talking about). In fact, I liked that he didn't "fight" anyone in the movie. Showing Superman as being someone who doesn't typically have to fight to stop crime and solve problems makes sense for the character.

It was an excellent movie, and a great way to follow up the original movies.

PS: The first one to suggest Doomsday as a good villian for a sequel I will personally slap over the head with a rolled up newspaper. :p

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Bizzaro might be a good super villian for a future Superman film. I know he's uninteresting by himself but he could be a pawn in Lex Luthor's scheme. And I think that might work out well on the big screen because Bizzaro is easy to manipulate.

Del Murder
05-06-2007, 11:03 PM
I have nothing against Luthor. He is indeed a great villian. The problem was that it was just more of the same from Supes. Lex has a zainy scheme to take over the world and Superman stops him. The Lex vs. Superman has been done thuroughly and for this to be an epic movie you need to have more than that.

The blurb for this movie was very good: 'Superman returns to a world that may not need him'. Thing is, that wasn't dealt with at all. Lois wrote a paper about why the world doesn't need Superman but we never found out why the world doesn't need Superman! Obviously it became apparent that the world did need Superman when Lex started destroying it, but it would have been nice to try to see Superman cope with a world that wants to save itself. Instead he jumps in and saves the plane and everyone falls back in love with him again immediately, and then it's back to the same old song and dance.

Bizzaro could not carry an entire movie.

I just got the feeling that nothing happened in this movie. Lex trying to take over the world is nothing new because that's who he is and what he does. You don't need to make another movie to show us that.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Does Superman have any good villians besides Luthor?...Because it seems like Batman has all of the good villians.

Captain Maxx Power
05-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Needed more General Zod, ruler of Planet Huston!

Slothy
05-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Does Superman have any good villians besides Luthor?...Because it seems like Batman has all of the good villians.

Quite a few; Brainiac and Darkseid being the best of them as far as I'm concerned. There certainly aren't many that could carry a movie aside from those two and Luthor. Although with that said, Darkseid would be very hard to pull off in a movie believably without it getting just a little too out there.

I also don't think they should go the Bizarro route for a number of reasons. Lex creating a clone of Superman is almost rediculous enough (strange to be saying about a comic movie, but being a movie there is some degree of realism required), but one that has powers that make no logical sense is worse. The fact that he isn't all that compelling typically is also a problem. Perhaps if they went the route that Alan Moore did in the last pre-crisis Bizarro story, or something along the lines of the Red Son Bizarro route I'd be ok with it.

Del Murder
05-08-2007, 06:43 AM
A Darkseid movie would be pretty awesome but I don't know how you can pull it off. The problem with Superman, more than other comics I'd say, is that it takes a while to establish the characters. A two hour movie just doesn't do it.

ljkkjlcm9
05-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Basically, there was so much wrong with the storyline that it upset many true superman fans.

THE JACKEL

Ixcal
05-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Superman is a boring superhero in the first place...
And trying to give him any type of romantic relationship with Lois Lane is just stupid and illogical. Why? Watch Kevin Smith's "Mallrats"... Who wants to be in a COMPLETELY PERMANANT sexfree relationship?

Due to my dislike of this character I must admit I am biased in saying... the movie sucked. But from an unbiased view the movie... well, it still sucked.

Bunny
05-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey guys that Doomsday would make a good Superman villian, don'tcha think?

Slothy
05-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Superman is a boring superhero in the first place...
And trying to give him any type of romantic relationship with Lois Lane is just stupid and illogical. Why? Watch Kevin Smith's "Mallrats"... Who wants to be in a COMPLETELY PERMANANT sexfree relationship?

Due to my dislike of this character I must admit I am biased in saying... the movie sucked. But from an unbiased view the movie... well, it still sucked.

Your last sentence makes no sense since you obviously can't be unbiased. And the fact that you say Superman is a boring hero leads me to believe you know very little about the character. Honestly, I could just about write a book on just how he's not only interesting, but very relevant to the modern world, but I'm feeling pretty lazy right now.

And has anyone seen today's paper? :p

PhoenixAsh
05-08-2007, 05:58 PM
SPOILERS AHEAD:

I wasn't impressed... It just seemed like the idea behind the "action" scenes was that there isn't a problem that can't be solved through lifting. Throughout the film all he ever seems to do is pick up or catch a variety of large objects.

He enters the public eye again by catching a plane, he then proceeds to save a woman by carrying a car, catching the Daily Planet globe, saving lois by lifting a ship, and then saving America by lifting an island made of kryptonite (which was in my opinion ridiculously stupid given even a small amount is meant to make him weak).

He even, despite being the ultimate good guy, decides to hit on a married woman. How? By carrying her around Metropolis.

Clark was underused, Lois was a bit of a bitch to him and her husband, Superman wasn't very iconic, Lex was an idiot, his assistants were cliche in a very bad way.

Retro is fine, but this crossed from "hey, that makes me nostalgic of the old films" to, "hey this is just a rehashed version of something we saw 30 years ago".

Slothy
05-08-2007, 09:05 PM
He enters the public eye again by catching a plane, he then proceeds to save a woman by carrying a car, catching the Daily Planet globe, saving lois by lifting a ship, and then saving America by lifting an island made of kryptonite (which was in my opinion ridiculously stupid given even a small amount is meant to make him weak).

You're forgetting that he used almost every power he had while saving people in Metropolis during that earthquake. Really though, what do you want? Stuff like super breath and heat vision are only so useful. His flight, speed, and strength are the bread and butter of how he saves people.

As for the kryptonite island, you'll notice a few things in the movie. The first is that kryptonite doesn't instantly take away his powers (or he probably would have went splat when he landed on the island, or at least noticed it was made of kryptonite sooner). I liked this better than the typical, "using kryptonite against Superman=instant win" scenario. It was more like it took time for his body to process the kryptonite radiation and for it to really start affecting his powers. As for lifting the island; he obviously had large chunks of earth between him and the kryptonite, likely shielding him from much, if not all of the radiation until it started to grow down through and reach him. By that point he had likely done much of the work of getting the island to escape velocity, it was just a matter of exerting enough force to keep it going a little bit longer.

He even, despite being the ultimate good guy, decides to hit on a married woman. How? By carrying her around Metropolis.

She wasn't married.

PhoenixAsh
05-08-2007, 09:31 PM
You're forgetting that he used almost every power he had while saving people in Metropolis during that earthquake. Really though, what do you want? Stuff like super breath and heat vision are only so useful. His flight, speed, and strength are the bread and butter of how he saves people.

I did remember that, but it seemed like they only had that scene just for the purpose of getting all of his other powers into the film. He never really used his speed that much, and nomatter how basic flight and speed are, using them to do the same thing for five or six scenes gets pretty dull. It wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't dramatized it so much. Every time he lifts something they gave a long panned out shot of him just holding it.

As for the kryptonite island, you'll notice a few things in the movie. The first is that kryptonite doesn't instantly take away his powers (or he probably would have went splat when he landed on the island, or at least noticed it was made of kryptonite sooner). I liked this better than the typical, "using kryptonite against Superman=instant win" scenario. It was more like it took time for his body to process the kryptonite radiation and for it to really start affecting his powers. As for lifting the island; he obviously had large chunks of earth between him and the kryptonite, likely shielding him from much, if not all of the radiation until it started to grow down through and reach him. By that point he had likely done much of the work of getting the island to escape velocity, it was just a matter of exerting enough force to keep it going a little bit longer.

The island didn't shield him enough when he landed on it to stop him getting his ass kicked by Lex, I don't see why it should have then. It also just eliminated any kind of thought required to beat the bad guy. They threw up a seemingly impossible obstacle to overcome, then just had him overcome it anyway. No lateral thinking, no clever twist, no real battle, he just lifted it and problem solved. He didn't even beat Lex, Lex was beaten by bad luck and stupidity on his own behalf.

You're right though, I forgot Lois wasn't actually married. She was in a serious relationship with someone she was supposed to have had a kid with.