PDA

View Full Version : FFIX newbie needs help!

Zora
05-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Ya, okay so I am stuck against the Black Waltz 1 early in the game (yes, it is sad, but...). However I want to know what is the recommended level and strategy against the boss?

TheSpoonyBard
05-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Somewhere between 5 and 7 is a good level. Have a nice stock of Potions before hand. Steal from the Sea Lion until you get the Mythril Dagger, then wait for Trance and heal as necessary. Use Tidal Flame to kill the Sea Lion, then attack Black Waltz normally.

Ace14
05-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Just make sure you either stole the Mage Masher from Baku in the first battle or find it in the ice caverns because you need that for Tidal Flame.

DarkLadyNyara
05-06-2007, 11:34 PM
In addition to what everyone else has said, I would recomend killing the Black Waltz first, so that it can't heal the Sea Lion. My first playthrough, I kept getting killed untill I figured that out.

Zora
05-07-2007, 01:29 AM
Just make sure you either stole the Mage Masher from Baku in the first battle or find it in the ice caverns because you need that for Tidal Flame.

Well I haven't exactly gotr that. Err... where do you get that in the ice cave... *Big false smile*

Ace14
05-07-2007, 03:54 AM
Well I haven't played this game in a while but I'm pretty sure it's past one of the spots you can have Vivi melt. I think its on the right side of the caverns. If you use Tidal Flame you usually kill the Black Waltz automatically and it should put the Sea lion in a critical state. You don't need the attack but I suggest it, oh and in case you didn't know its a Dyne attack. :D

Firenjar
05-30-2007, 12:16 AM
I was level 10 and had the Mage Masher and it was really easy as i boosted my limit before the battle so 1 hit gave me tidal flame

Shotgunnova
05-30-2007, 01:00 AM
You can get the Mage Masher in the Ice Cavern. Remember the spot where you go up a log to another chest? After getting that, you can have Vivi burn the log and make a new path below the chest, where you can get the dagger. Tidal Flame really makes the fight easier as it can attack both enemies at once, so I suggest you get it.

daggertrepe
05-30-2007, 08:31 PM
In addition to what everyone else has said, I would recomend killing the Black Waltz first, so that it can't heal the Sea Lion. My first playthrough, I kept getting killed untill I figured that out.

I learned that the hard way also. Train till level 10 if you need to. Steal some potions and tents.

demondude
05-30-2007, 08:48 PM
This threads pretty old zora is probably way past that now