PDA

View Full Version : Plot Loopholes/inconsistencies

Zora
05-07-2007, 01:25 AM
Okay, it is known that FF games have notable, sometimes trivial, plot loopholes or inconsistencies. Now I, like many, have trouble picking up on them unless really obvious. So I thought it would be a good idea to submit a plot loophole/inconsistencies and then have them compiled in a list. Here is the format if you want to submit one:

Game:
Loophole/inconsistencies:
Correct one:

Okay, so the first one game should be obvious, as well as the second option. The third is where you submit would really happened or what would have happened. Also make sure that it isn't something that could be a mere typo.

Oh, and another thing keep in mind what is REALLY going on. For example (minor FFVI spoilers) Emperor Gastahl asked the returnerers to a dinner to say that he wants to make the empire better, and locked Kefka up and so one and so forth, but later didn't do that. This isn't a loophole/inconsistencies, merely Gastahl being decisive and lieing. This example may be obvious, but some others may not.

BTW, I will complie them in a list for easy access. K?

List:
Final Fatantasy IV:
Submitted by ''':
Loophole/inconsistencies: Kain encourages you to press on in the Village of Mist because "we must rescue Rosa!," even though Rosa had not been kidnapped or otherwise threatened in any way at this point of the game.
Correct one: Um, changing Kain's dialog would fix that.

Loophole/inconsistencies: Supposedly, killing a summon will kill the summoner (hence Rydia's mother), but when you kill Golbez's Shadow Dragon (I'm under the impression it was a summon), he doesn't die.
Correct one: Maybe I'm wrong and it wasn't intended to be a summon after all. But that was the impression I always had. Maybe the dragon was just hanging out in the corner and Golbez was like "yo, c'mere and help me out now, minion."

Final Fantasy VII
Submitted by Griff:
Inconsistency: Aeris does not bleed when she dies, Sephiroth does.
(Correct One makes no sense so instead I will add...)
Possible Explanation: The designers didn't want the purity of Aeris to be tainted by a bloodbath, whereas blood would fit well with Sephiroth's character.

Aerisfanatic
05-07-2007, 03:38 AM
:confused: Im sorry its either i dont understand large words or, i dont understand at all what your saying... why dont you start... so i know and not to be completely lost...

Zora
05-07-2007, 03:53 AM
^You see, I kinda have trouble catching them myself. But you do know what plot loopholes or incosistencies are, right?

Griff
05-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Game: Final Fantasy VII
Possible Explanation: The designers didn't want the purity of Aeris to be tainted by a bloodbath, whereas blood would fit well with Sephiroth's character.

sockmonkey
05-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Sometimes serious wounds don't bleed very much. It depends if it strikes and artery or not. I've seen footage of people impaled on a varity of things and quite often they hardly bleed at all.

Aerisfanatic
05-09-2007, 12:09 AM
actually that hasnt gone unnoticed its sort of like a mystery around it here check this out... it give somw possible reasons for why she didnt bleed The Final Fantasy VII Citadel: Secrets & Mysteries (http://www.ff7citadel.com/secrets/s_masamune.shtml)

05-09-2007, 03:42 AM
Two from FFIV. I might stand corrected, but they seemed like plotholes to me.

Game: FFIV
Loophole/inconsistencies: Kain encourages you to press on in the Village of Mist because "we must rescue Rosa!," even though Rosa had not been kidnapped or otherwise threatened in any way at this point of the game.
Correct one: Um, changing Kain's dialog would fix that.

Game: FFIV
Loophole/inconsistencies: Supposedly, killing a summon will kill the summoner (hence Rydia's mother), but when you kill Golbez's Shadow Dragon (I'm under the impression it was a summon), he doesn't die.
Correct one: Maybe I'm wrong and it wasn't intended to be a summon after all. But that was the impression I always had. Maybe the dragon was just hanging out in the corner and Golbez was like "yo, c'mere and help me out now, minion."

Wolf Kanno
05-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Game: Final Fantasy II
Loophole/inconsistencies: Leon takes over the empire and continues world domination. After the Emperor returns from hell, Leon is suddnely brought over to the side of "light" without explanantion or plausible reasoning...
Correct one: This is most likely caused by "bad writing". It still infuriates FFII fans to this day and is the reason why Leon gets so much hate...

Griff
05-09-2007, 09:22 PM
actually that hasnt gone unnoticed its sort of like a mystery around it here check this out... it give somw possible reasons for why she didnt bleed The Final Fantasy VII Citadel: Secrets & Mysteries (http://www.ff7citadel.com/secrets/s_masamune.shtml)

I know its a well known inconsistency, I just put it as an example since no one wanted to start and I figured some didn't understand exactly what to do.

Zora
05-12-2007, 05:31 AM
Loophole/inconsistencies: Leon takes over the empire and continues world domination. After the Emperor returns from hell, Leon is suddnely brought over to the side of "light" without explanantion or plausible reasoning...
Correct one: This is most likely caused by "bad writing". It still infuriates FFII fans to this day and is the reason why Leon gets so much hate...
I don't think it is considered loophole but instead a confusion in the plot. I am not saying it is a problem, I just think it is a different kind of problem.

Bolivar
05-13-2007, 01:14 AM
I don't think it is considered loophole but instead a confusion in the plot. I am not saying it is a problem, I just think it is a different kind of problem.

I don't think it's a loophole or a confusion. When they ask Leon why he's doing all this, he poses the question "How many lives did the rebels throw away when they decided to oppose the empire?"

So if II has bad writing, then so does XII. Leon is basically Gabranth 20 years before there even was Gabranth.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2007, 01:43 AM

I don't think it's a loophole or a confusion. When they ask Leon why he's doing all this, he poses the question "How many lives did the rebels throw away when they decided to oppose the empire?"

So if II has bad writing, then so does XII. Leon is basically Gabranth 20 years before there even was Gabranth.

I don't remember him saying that... was that in the DoS version? If it was then it's finally been cleared up.

Also Gabranth is far different from Leon. He's loyal to the empire while Leon was power hungry. Gabranth was always loyal to Emperor Solidor, he never liked Vayne. He only did as he ordered so he could keep watch over Larsa like the late emperor had ordered him to.

P.S. Zora, I'm fine if you don't feel it warrants a place in this thread;)

Hazzard
05-13-2007, 01:57 AM
I've never understood why Gabranth even had so much hatred towards Basch. I listened closely, but it never seemed to get through.

DarkLadyNyara
05-13-2007, 04:34 AM

I don't remember him saying that... was that in the DoS version? If it was then it's finally been cleared up.

Actually, I didn't see Leon saying that as an excuse. Especially since it came at the tail end of a rant about power. The full quote is-

"Weak words, from the weak. Do you know what rules the world? Power! Sheer power! The weak cannot survive without the strong to control them! How many lives did the rebels throw away when they chose to oppose the empire?"

In other words, he's a power-hungry little snot. :cool:

Hazzard
05-13-2007, 07:20 AM
The full quote is-

"Weak words, from the weak. Do you know what rules the world? Power! Sheer power! The weak cannot survive without the strong to control them! How many lives did the rebels throw away when they chose to oppose the empire?"

That speech is so beautiful. Those are the characters I love.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2007, 09:06 AM

Actually, I didn't see Leon saying that as an excuse. Especially since it came at the tail end of a rant about power. The full quote is-

I was about to say... I don't remember Leon caring about anyone after the opening.

P.S. Hazzard, I'll PM you my personal thoughts on Gabranth if you want...