PDA

View Full Version : Stupidly deleted my sound on my PC, need it back!

Hazzard
05-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Alright, I was deleting some unused, and insignificant programs, but while running through them, I accidentally deleting a program that functions my sound. BTW i've got windows XP, and does anyone know how I can get it back?

Baloki
05-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Your only hope is to uninstall and re-install the sound drivers or to roll back your system using system restore. And you know next time it says these Program Files are important and hidden, don't mess with them without good reason? Might be worth heeding the warning :P?

Discord
05-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Let me guess, iTunes?

Anyway, as Baloki said, you need a new sound driver. Look in the papers that were shipped with your PC which soundcard you've got. Go to their website and download the sound driver.

o_O
05-08-2007, 01:39 AM
If it's an OEM PC (you didn't build it yourself), then check the manufacturer's website's driver section for the model number of your PC.
They're usually fairly intuitively set out; you just need to get the sound driver and install it.

Yrkoon
05-09-2007, 04:06 AM
click start then click run then in the wee box that pops up type in it "dxdiag" depending on comp speed a pop up should appear quickly or slowly :P then click sound tab it will tell you what soundcard or onboard chip your currently using then find a driver from there :)

either google or post the soundcard model here :)

Discord
05-09-2007, 11:00 AM
click start then click run then in the wee box that pops up type in it "dxdiag" depending on comp speed a pop up should appear quickly or slowly :P then click sound tab[...]

...And hope that'll show you the right thing.:tongue:

DXDIAG tends to have issues with soundcard names for some reason. Though it's a good alternative if you don't have the documentation for your PC at hand.

Hazzard
05-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys. Well it turns out that only a simple procedure was needed, and I just followed what Baloki had said, and went on system restore- booting the computer back a couple a days, and returning my previous documents, and so...Anyway, thanks.