PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Horror Fest Suggestions

Vyk
05-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Having a little get-together Friday night. Figure horror movies are the best bet. Except mainstream horror movies suck recently. I quit watching them. Could use some suggestions from recent and/or overlooked horror flicks. Nothing like Grudge or Signs that might effect you in a personal horrific way. I need general scare. Because frankly those movies didn't cut it for me. And honestly, I thought Signs was supposed to be a comedic yet serious seeming SPOOF of horror. Not until I heard other people were terrified did I realize it was supposed to be an actual attempt at horror. Which is just retarded in my opinion. I don't technically like movies that think gore is the ONLY way to go. Granted it adds that extra flare. But if that's all there is, I could just watch Faces of Death or something. So House of 1000 Corpses type movies are out too

Any recent movies that can do what old 80s flicks seem to be the only ones capable of? The Pet Cemetery movies were good. The first few Hellraiser movies. Nightmare on Elmstreet of course. Friday the 13th lost its edge after a while so we'll sort of sway from slasher films

Did anyone see that horror film festival? After Dark I think it was called. Was anything really good shown there? I've seen a lot of those available online for download

Anyway. Suggest away. I won't judge until I hit IMDB and check out a trailer or two. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help :] Hope I didn't offend anyone cutting down their favorite scare movie

Dreddz
05-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Halloween, The Thing, The Wicker Man, Audition, Jisatsu saakuru, Uzumaki, The Shining, The Innocents, Profondo rosso, People Under the Stairs, Onibaba, Carrie, Braindead, Kairo.

I dunno what you mean by general scares, so I just said any horror movie I like. Some arent exactly in your face horrors, but rather weird atmospheric ones. If you didnt want any of that, errrr sorry ? I threw in some Japanese horror as well, if your into that stuff.

Vyk
05-07-2007, 09:19 PM
I love atmospheric. Thanks. I'll have to look into some of them. I saw the Wickerman remake. Hated the ending, but loved the plot. And People Under the Stairs. I remember catching that on TV late night once. That was a freakish awesome movie too. Good taste so far :D

Shoeberto
05-07-2007, 10:35 PM
- The Evil Dead
- Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn

Those two deliver pretty well on freakiness. The third one is pretty much slapstick horror comedy, but the second one finds a good middle between the two. The first one is just freaky.

Cuchulainn
05-07-2007, 11:35 PM
A Mirror.

El Bandito
05-07-2007, 11:50 PM
28 Days Later.

Not really a "scary" horror movie, but one of the best horror movies I've ever seen.

Oh and if you want atmospheric scary, check out "Jacob's Ladder". It's one of the movies that inspired the Silent Hill video games.