PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Excel Null Values

ShunNakamura
05-08-2007, 03:36 AM
<span style="color:#FFCCFF">
Note... I am using Excel 2003 for this.

I am in a situation here where I have a table. I want Excel to look through a column of data for a particular value(which will be inputed). If it finds a match I want the match price printed out. That is fine.

My issue is when there is nothing found. I want it to say it is a "Non-standard stock item" if it isn't found.

Now it doesn't sound hard to me but I can't find the appropriate functions in excel to do it.

Basically all I should have to do is to compare the returned value to null. If it is null it should display "Non-standard stock item", if it is not null it should display the price of the value it found.

What I can do. The VLOOKUP to search for, locate the value, and then to print the price is easy. But how do you, in Excel, use an if statement to compare to the null value. All I have managed to find is references saying that Excel does not support a true null value. If that is the case, is there a workaround? I have yet to find it on google or in excel's formula list but I will continue looking(if I am lucky I may find it before anyone responds!)

Edit- I am aware of Excel's ISERROR function but that seems a bit of a sloopy way to try and see if the value is null or not... is it my only option?
</span>

Endless
05-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Use ISNA(arg), returns TRUE if your arg returned/is #N/A

ShunNakamura
05-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Use ISNA(arg), returns TRUE if your arg returned/is #N/A
<span style="color:#FFCCFF">
How in the world did I miss that function? Ah well.

Thank you, that does the work just fine.
</span>

zlatan24
07-22-2010, 11:10 PM
So, I often work with office files, but with Excel documents I work more frequent. And consequently I had a lot of types of problems with such files. Once I had an very complicated issue. To be more precise some my xls files were lost. To my good fortune I got a solution - unable to read file xls (http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/unable_to_read_xls_xlsx.html). It resolved my issue for seconds and completely free of charge as I kept in mind. What is more I knew how the software solved problem with corrupted files in Microsoft Excel format and repaired Excel-unable to read file.

Shiny
07-23-2010, 03:42 AM
Shun seemed to find a solution to his problem already back in 2007. Please do not revive old threads to advertise your product.